My Correspondence With The Chaska Police Department

Firearms related political discussion forum

Re: My Correspondence With The Chaska Police Department

Postby grousemaster on Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:03 pm

Lisa wrote:I am not a gun person but I am a rights person so my husband and I went to Chaska to hear the "debate" between Chief Knight and the Sheriff of Carver county. It was pretty interesting and the majority of the crowd were 2 amendment folks. After the event, I went to talk to Chief Knight asking his thoughts on why if a law against murder or assault are not working and what makes him think one more law would make a difference. He promptly told me, less people would die. Then the fun part started. I ask him to apply the same logic regarding alcohol and kitchen knives because far more people are killed with them than "assault" weapons and no one really "needs" them. So applying the same logic we should ban them also. He told me he likes to have a drink, I said "my son likes shooting" (not people). He told me they were not trying to ban guns just stop making them. He was totally unaware of bills 241 and 242 in the MN house (which I explained to him). He quickly dismissed me and was very condescending to an old lady!!!

Keep the pressure up. We can not let them win this one. I am friends with some fo the Minnesota legislatures and they said keep writing and calling.

Awesome first post!!! :flag:

Welcome
01 FFL
NRA Life Member
NRA Business Alliance
grousemaster

Postby gjohnson80 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:30 am

Where is Chief Knight pulling this stat? "we lose 30,000 Americans every year to gun violence"

http://www.bradycampaign.org/toomanyvictims/2012/03/chief-scott-m-knight/

Isn't that around 3X the stat according to the FBI??
gjohnson80

Postby xd ED on Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:35 am

If one referred to the number as an 'asstatistic', that would be a clue as to it's origin, I suspect.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Heffay on Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:53 am

gjohnson80 wrote:Where is Chief Knight pulling this stat? "we lose 30,000 Americans every year to gun violence"

They are including suicides in that 30,000 number. The FBI stats are just homicides.
To the two forum members who have used lines from my posts as their signatures, can't you quote Jesse Ventura or some other great Minnesotan instead of stealing mine? - LePetomane
Heffay

Postby sansooshooter on Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:00 am

Lisa wrote:I am not a gun person but I am a rights person so my husband and I went to Chaska to hear the "debate" between Chief Knight and the Sheriff of Carver county. It was pretty interesting and the majority of the crowd were 2 amendment folks. After the event, I went to talk to Chief Knight asking his thoughts on why if a law against murder or assault are not working and what makes him think one more law would make a difference. He promptly told me, less people would die. Then the fun part started. I ask him to apply the same logic regarding alcohol and kitchen knives because far more people are killed with them than "assault" weapons and no one really "needs" them. So applying the same logic we should ban them also. He told me he likes to have a drink, I said "my son likes shooting" (not people). He told me they were not trying to ban guns just stop making them. He was totally unaware of bills 241 and 242 in the MN house (which I explained to him). He quickly dismissed me and was very condescending to an old lady!!!

Keep the pressure up. We can not let them win this one. I am friends with some fo the Minnesota legislatures and they said keep writing and calling.

Excellent post. We need more women and people who are not gun owners contacting the legislature on pro gun rights!
Thanks Lisa
sansooshooter

Postby gjohnson80 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:02 am

Heffay wrote:
gjohnson80 wrote:Where is Chief Knight pulling this stat? "we lose 30,000 Americans every year to gun violence"

They are including suicides in that 30,000 number. The FBI stats are just homicides.

I'd like to hear the whole quote and I'd bet he failed to mention that to the committee.

I'd like to see all of the local police departments and sheriff departments post their interpretation of the 2nd Amendment. Statements directly from the Chief and Sheriff. Then the people can make changes by votes in the next elections if need be.
gjohnson80

Postby 20mm on Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:33 pm

MNGunGuy wrote:EDIT: Looks like some information around Lync (used for IM) is avaliable on the public website. Note the following:
While useful for informal conversations, Gotham noted that Lync is not intended for documenting MnDOT business decisions since it doesn't archive conversations...

http://www.newsline.dot.state.mn.us/arc ... 23.html#Z4

Microsoft Lync/Office Communicator stores conversation history in your exchange mailstore and does archive converstations. With unified communication, VoIP, and other technologies, voice mail is often integrated with the email system. Even if it is not, servers and workstations are backed up and imaged quite often. With disaster recovery programs, 3rd party vendors, and other incidents, I'm of the opinion that a lot of data lasts in perpetuity.
"Go 20mm" - Sigfan220
""Real men shoot 20mm." - FJ540
"If I could be reincarnated as a fabric, I would come back as a 38 double-D bra." - Jesse Ventura
20mm

Postby Mn01r6 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:11 pm

20mm wrote:
MNGunGuy wrote:EDIT: Looks like some information around Lync (used for IM) is avaliable on the public website. Note the following:
While useful for informal conversations, Gotham noted that Lync is not intended for documenting MnDOT business decisions since it doesn't archive conversations...

http://www.newsline.dot.state.mn.us/arc ... 23.html#Z4

Microsoft Lync/Office Communicator stores conversation history in your exchange mailstore and does archive converstations. With unified communication, VoIP, and other technologies, voice mail is often integrated with the email system. Even if it is not, servers and workstations are backed up and imaged quite often. With disaster recovery programs, 3rd party vendors, and other incidents, I'm of the opinion that a lot of data lasts in perpetuity.

Please recall that this discussion was about what the Chaska Police Department has to turn over, and MNGunGuy referenced the MN Data Practices Act and what they won't turn over or endeavor to archive. This is what you are trying to do:

Mn01r6

Postby 20mm on Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:13 am

Mn01r6 wrote:Please recall that this discussion was about what the Chaska Police Department has to turn over, and MNGunGuy referenced the MN Data Practices Act and what they won't turn over or endeavor to archive. [/img]

If it doesn't suit them, they probably won't turn over any data legally or not unless they're mandated by a higher power.
"Go 20mm" - Sigfan220
"If I could be reincarnated as a fabric, I would come back as a 38 double-D bra." - Jesse Ventura
20mm

Postby Collector1337420 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:28 am

Heffay wrote:

Goes to show how biased and big of scum bags those Brady douche bags are.

Suicides ARE NOT homicides and they fact the lump them together is dishonest and completely unethical in my opinion. They say numbers like that and people are dumb enough to believe it when it's complete lie. It's propaganda to get people to agree with them. It's shameful. I consider them an enemy of the free state.
"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free."
Collector1337420

Postby MNGunGuy on Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:23 pm

20mm wrote:Microsoft Lync/Office Communicator stores conversation history in your exchange mailstore and does archive converstations. With unified communication, VoIP, and other technologies, voice mail is often integrated with the email system. Even if it is not, servers and workstations are backed up and imaged quite often. With disaster recovery programs, 3rd party vendors, and other incidents, I'm of the opinion that a lot of data lasts in perpetuity.

At least you are back to the original topic, kudos. That said your Google Foo isn't helping you and the source you quoted is only telling you what is an option, not required. The conversation history feature in Lync is a client driven feature and can be disabled on the client via GPO, in-band provisioning or by bitwise settings in Exchange via custom attributes. There's also the option to use an archiving server to grab everything as it's transmitted server side. That archive server is also an option. Here's some background on how to diable convo history and letting you know the archive server needs to be installed as it's not there by default. http://howdouc.blogspot.com/2011/07/com ... g-and.html

Why do you continue to grasp at straws? You clearly have no frame of reference here. I get it, you got a mouth full of foot at it doesn't taste good. Move along before you turn in to the next guy trying to shoot a rifle in an indoor range.
MNGunGuy

Postby bothwell on Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:33 pm

Lync without archive is annoying: I've closed a Lync dialog box a split second after a new message popped-up. The message is gone, and archiving the conversation means you don't have to ask the sender "what did you just send me?" This is different from other IM clients I've used, where the conversation is saved in the client.

Regarding voice messages, I'd expect that many agencies outsource their telephony to a phone company (if I recall, Hennepin was using Onvoy a few years back). The data retention policy used would be exactly what the contract says it should be. An agency that isn't 100% sure of what communications data it has, or hasn't destroyed is taking huge risks.
bothwell

Postby george on Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:23 pm

gjohnson80 wrote:
I'd like to see all of the local police departments and sheriff departments post their interpretation of the 2nd Amendment. Statements directly from the Chief and Sheriff. Then the people can make changes by votes in the next elections if need be.

283 Sheriffs and 8 State Sheriffs Associations Saying ‘NO’ to Obama Gun Control
A few from Minnesota but FEW!!

http://cspoa.org/sheriffs-gun-rights/

Wish I could get mine on the list. Our Sheriff always seems to run unopposed, anyone running against will likely be fired.
"If the personal freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution inhibit the government's ability to govern the people, we should look to limit those guarantees."
-- President Bill Clinton, August 12, 1993
george

Postby 20mm on Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:53 pm

MNGunGuy wrote:Why do you continue to grasp at straws? You clearly have no frame of reference here. I get it, you got a mouth full of foot at it doesn't taste good. Move along before you turn in to the next guy trying to shoot a rifle in an indoor range.

Huh? I shoot rifles at indoor ranges all the time. I'm not grasping at straws, and I think I have a firm grasp of how most governmental agencies operate. I'll admit I haven't had the pleasure of interacting with MnDOTs systems since they were using Lotus Notes, but even then voice mails were logged and archived off the Nortel Meridian. The City of St. Paul also had stringent archiving and data backup policies. This isn't like a business where you're just dealing with Sarbanes Oxley and Broker Dealer regulations.

MNGunGuy wrote:That statute means nothing if they've classified the data posted on social media websites as not business related or transient. I work for a government agency and we use the same type of terminology to cover conversations we have via instant messaging (IM) and voicemail that's not logged or saved in any way. This process was singed off not only by our legal team but the State legal folks as well.

Perhaps you would like to share where Minnesota law even allows data to be classified as "not business related or transient". You're the one who seems to be grasping at straws.
Attachments
dataprac.pdf
(157.23 KB) Downloaded 113 times
"Go 20mm" - Sigfan220
20mm

Postby 20mm on Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:11 pm

george wrote:
gjohnson80 wrote:

283 Sheriffs and 8 State Sheriffs Associations Saying ‘NO’ to Obama Gun Control
A few from Minnesota but FEW!!

http://cspoa.org/sheriffs-gun-rights/

Wish I could get mine on the list. Our Sheriff always seems to run unopposed, anyone running against will likely be fired.

Awesome! Technically you could run against the Sheriff if no one else does.
"Go 20mm" - Sigfan220
20mm

PreviousNext

Return to Politics