McCollum Town Hall - March 9

Firearms related political discussion forum

Postby river_boater on Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:15 pm

It dawned on me that I had not seen this posted here, and I just got this email from OGC.

On Saturday, March 9th, Minnesota State Representative Andrea Keiffer (R-53B) will be hosting a town hall meeting with constituents at the Woodbury City Hall, and we need to pack the hall with gun owners.

Attending with Representative Keiffer will also be Congresswoman Betty McCollum (DFL-04) and State Senator Susan Kent (DFL-53).

8301 Valley Creek Road (at the intersection with Radio Drive)
Woodbury, MN 55125

Time:
10 a.m. - noon

Where they stand on your 2nd Amendment rights:
• Representative Keiffer has been a strong voice in the fight for your rights, and deserves your thanks and support.

• Congresswoman McCollum has come out in favor of restricting your constitutional rights. She supports gun control measures such as gun registrations through universal background checks and restrictions on standard capacity magazines.

• Senator Kent has said little on the issue of gun control. Her response to her constituents has been that she believes "It is important that as we go through the democratic process, we take great care to uphold the rights inherent to all Americans, including the right to bear arms."
This is an ideal opportunity for you to tell your representatives, directly, that you demand that they respect the Constitutional right to keep and bear arms.

Some quick tips for interacting at this town hall meeting:
• I'm a constituent

• I'm a law-abiding gun owner

• I oppose ANY new restrictions on my freedoms, including registration (disguised as "universal background checks) and so-called "assault weapon" bans or magazine restrictions

• Deal with the criminals and the insane - don't blame or punish us for their actions

• I support the alternative, GOCRA-supported bill announced on Wednesday, which provides real solutions that do not infringe the rights of law-abiding citizens
Please share this message with your friends and neighbors who may also be interested in attending.
river_boater

Re: McCollum Town Hall - March 9

Postby NMRMN on Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:35 pm

And district 60:

GOCRA Alerts wrote:This special messge is for gun rights supporters in state Senate District 60, and State House District 60A, in and around Nordeast Minneapolis.

On Saturday, March 9th, State Senator Kari Dziedzic (DFL-60) and State Representative Diane Loeffler (DFL-60A) will be holding two "listening session" meetings with constituents, and we need to pack the hall with gun owners.

Saturday, 10-11 a.m.
Audubon Park (map)
1320 29th Ave NE
Minneapolis, MN 55418

Saturday, 1-2 p.m.
Bottineau Park (map)
2000 2nd St. NE
Minneapolis, MN 55418

Where they stand on your 2nd Amendment rights:
Both Sen. Dziedzic and Rep. Loeffler voted against Stand Your Ground legislation in 2012
Both have earned F ratings from GOCRA.

This is an ideal opportunity for you to tell both elected officials, directly, that you demand that they respect the Constitutional right to keep and bear arms.

Please ask both to SUPPORT HF1323/1324/1325, the Criminal Control Bill co-authored by DFL Rep. Debra Hilstrom and a broad, bipartisan coalition of 78 House Democrats and Republicans.

Ask both to OPPOSE Rep. Paymar's rights-stripping HF237 and Sen. Latz's yet-to-be-released omnibus bill.
I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for thou, Lord, only makest me dwell in safety.
Member GOA | GOCRA | NRA
NMRMN

Postby bstrawse on Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:48 pm

Both from GOCRA orginally, but our friends at OGC do a great job of sharing with the members..

I'm in class tomorrow, otherwise I'd be there to give Senator Kent and Congresswoman McCollum a piece of my mind. Rep. Keiffer is a strong supporter of our rights - and of OGC.

Bryan
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby eldo on Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:44 am

I'll be at the Woodbury town meeting.
Going to remind state senator Kent that restricting gun owner's civil rights is a very hot button issue and that her 2012 election victory was the narrowest of all races in the metro area.
eldo

Postby whiteox on Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:55 am

Give Kent and Ward a bit of wisdom for me. Theyre my reps but I can't be there.
whiteox

Postby eldo on Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:34 pm

Attended today's town meeting in Woodbury. The meeting room was packed to overflow out into the hallways.
During the introductions representative Keiffer wisely asked the room for a show of hands for all of those who were there concerning gun rights.

I'd say 2/3 to 3/4 of the people raised their hands.
NONE of the speakers in the audience expressed a desire for additional gun controls.
Even state senator Ward went on record saying the GOCRA sponsored HF1323 had some good aspects worth considering, although she also admitted to voting against the general second amendment support initiative last week for "procedural reasons".

One fellow early on stood up and asked representative McCollum why during these times of sequester the DHS was buying 1.2 billion rounds of "cop killer" ammo, "enough to put five bullets in the head of every American", and 2700 armored personnel carriers, and what she would do in Congress to defund such frightening expenditures.
She claimed that she was unaware of such purchases and would have to look into the matter. :-/

Regardless, newly elected state senator Kent and representative Ward were pretty much put on notice that gun rights is an issue that they cannot ignore.
eldo

Postby xd ED on Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:44 pm

eldo wrote:Attended today's town meeting in Woodbury. The meeting room was packed to overflow out into the hallways.
During the introductions representative Keiffer wisely asked the room for a show of hands for all of those who were there concerning gun rights.

I'd say 2/3 to 3/4 of the people raised their hands.
NONE of the speakers in the audience expressed a desire for additional gun controls.
Even state senator Ward went on record saying the GOCRA sponsored HF1323 had some good aspects worth considering.

One fellow early on stood up and asked representative McCollum why during these times of sequester the DHS was buying 1.2 billion rounds of "cop killer" ammo, "enough to put five bullets in the head of every American", and 2700 armored personnel carriers, and what she would do in Congress to defund such frightening expenditures.
She claimed that she was unaware of such purchases and would have to look into the matter. :-/

Regardless, newly elected state senator Kent and representative Ward were pretty much put on notice this is an issue that they cannot ignore.

Good of you to attend. Sounds much like the Oakdale meeting earlier this year.
McCollum is truly beyond the pale as a political figure. She is nothing more a shill for the loony left.

I am curious if there was a guy set up videotaping the event; if so, the meeting might be available later to watch on this YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/MNCD4Conservative
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby eldo on Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:18 pm

Yes there was at least one guy there with a video camera on a tripod.
Most of the gun control fireworks occurred in the first 15-20 minutes of the meeting.
I saw several GOCRA T-shirts and a few NRA hats. I was wearing an Oakdale Gun Club hat.

I asked representative Keiffer after the meeting what she thought the chances of the GOCRA sponsored HF1323 getting past Paymar in the Public Safety Committee and she wasn't too positive other than to say we need to keep the pressure up on other members of the committee to get a hearing on the bill.
eldo

Postby bstrawse on Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:31 pm

awesome. Thanks for the update on the town hall. I'm glad there was such a great turn out.
b
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby JohnGageMN on Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:52 pm

Yep, it was a great turnout in general. I took my opportunity to raise concerns over spending issues as the 2A issue had already been covered in plenty of depth.
<= Helping save stupid people from themselves since 1997.

crbutler wrote:About this time frame I began to look on Glock owners as being incestuous relatives of Lucifer.
JohnGageMN

Postby river_boater on Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:00 pm

xd ED wrote:McCollum is truly beyond the pale as a political figure.

I don't get it either. She's not my rep anymore, but in past election years, here in W. St. Paul/Mendota Heights the "Betty!" lawn signs were everywhere.

I've lived here for 13 years. I don't ever recall her holding any kind of townhall here. I don't think she saw the need for it; she regularly got 60% (or more) of the vote. Perhaps she feels a bit more vulnerable in her new district?
river_boater

Postby LePetomane on Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:35 pm

river_boater wrote: Perhaps she feels a bit more vulnerable in her new district?

I don't think her liberal arrogance will allow her to feel vulnerable. I was in Michelle Bachmann's district before. Now I am in Betty McCollum's. Say what you want about Bacmann buy she represented the conservatives in her district well. Her voting record reflects it.

McCollum is what the DFL's in this state want. She votes with the dems and doesn't make a lot of noise. She knows that she will never be part of the upper echelon like Pelosi, Boehner, Waters, Wasserman-Schultz and is content with that.
Donald Trump got more fat women moving in one day than Michelle Obama did in eight years.
LePetomane

Return to Politics