St Louis Park landlord forces eviction for gun ownership!

Firearms related political discussion forum

Postby binx159 on Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:53 pm

Ladies & Gentlemen-

My good friend is one of three tenants in a house in St Louis Park and all tenants are pro second amendment. My highly professional friend was recently discriminated against and threatened to be evicted for not providing details on his firearms that he owns as well as refusing abide by the landlords newly created spoken rule that firearms cannot be carried on an individual while inside the house.

The catch is that he is only forcing this rule, which breaks tenant laws and 2nd amendment laws, on one of the three people that currently rent!

Listen to this absoutely ridiculous landlord for yourself and share in this outrage against constitutional rights! We would love any feedback as well as support.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPDFDzo0 ... e=youtu.be
binx159

Re: St Louis Park landlord forces eviction for gun ownership!

Postby Heffay on Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:02 pm

As a landlord in MN, I hope the tenant does show that to a lawyer.

Shame he doesn't live in Minneapolis. The city provides legal services for tenants free of charge. SLP may have something similar.

Your friend needs to learn when to walk away from an argument too. If there are no papers, there is nothing to discuss with him.
To the two forum members who have used lines from my posts as their signatures, can't you quote Jesse Ventura or some other great Minnesotan instead of stealing mine? - LePetomane
Heffay

Postby PileDriver on Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:04 pm

That's a pretty upsetting situation. I hope he fights back, and I assume he's smart enough to know he needs to watch his back. I feel this is a situation where when a person (the landlord) is willing enough to knowingly break laws, that person is also capable of making false claims (that your friend threatened him, etc).

Edited to add: Heffay brings up a good point, as well. The videos are great evidence, but the arguments don't do any good (and could lead to a false-claim situation I mentioned).
PileDriver

Postby binx159 on Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:10 pm

Heffay wrote:As a landlord in MN, I hope the tenant does show that to a lawyer.

Shame he doesn't live in Minneapolis. The city provides legal services for tenants free of charge. SLP may have something similar.

Your friend needs to learn when to walk away from an argument too. If there are no papers, there is nothing to discuss with him.

Great points. I probably got a little more worked up than I should have in my original post. I am also a landlord and it is a little scary to think about this from his perspective. However, I would never force such rules on my tenant. It's amazing how much time I have spent just trying to learn what I can and Can't do as a landlord!
binx159

Postby xd ED on Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:22 pm

Voice your concerns in the privacy of an attorney's office, not on the interwebs.
ETA: I'd lose the youtube vid as well.
Last edited by xd ED on Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby optimusglen on Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:27 pm

I had looked up the laws regarding renters when i first purchased my firearm. Landlords can not prevent tenants from owning and keeping them within the law.
optimusglen

Postby xd9 on Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:21 pm

xd9

Postby xd ED on Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:49 pm

binx159 wrote:Ladies & Gentlemen-

My good friend is one of three tenants in a house in St Louis Park and all tenants are pro second amendment. My highly professional friend was recently discriminated against and threatened to be evicted for not providing details on his firearms that he owns as well as refusing abide by the landlords newly created spoken rule that firearms cannot be carried on an individual while inside the house.

The catch is that he is only forcing this rule, which breaks tenant laws and 2nd amendment laws, on one of the three people that currently rent!

Listen to this absoutely ridiculous landlord for yourself and share in this outrage against constitutional rights! We would love any feedback as well as support.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPDFDzo0 ... e=youtu.be

Did it occur to anyone that you posted a video with detailed information about firearms in a home, including the landlord's name, which can lead you to his website, on which he has some photos of his properties, as well as the locations ... one of which appears to be the house where the video was shot, and the details seem to align with the video dialogue? Just wondering??
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby jshuberg on Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:55 pm

Your friend should contact an attorney. MN 624.714 Subd. 17 (4)(e) states:
A landlord may not restrict the lawful carry or possession of firearms by tenants or their guests.

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=624.714

I am not a lawyer, but the recording shows that your friend was told he will be evicted for keeping a loaded firearm at the rental property. The landlord is not legally allowed to make that a condition of living there. I'd say your friend has a case for unlawful eviction, and/or of the landlord illegally stripping your friend of his rights as a condition of remaining a tenant. This landlord is nothing but a thug and needs a serious legal beat-down.

I'd have him contact an attorney and see what he thinks about this. Marc Berris is a lawyer that deals with firearms law, and would be the best person to advise your friend on his options: 612-332-3100
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Personal Protection In The Home Instructor
NRA Life Member
MCPPA Certified Instructor
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Postby xd ED on Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:58 pm

jshuberg wrote:Your friend should contact an attorney. MN 624.714 Subd. 17 (4)(e) states:
A landlord may not restrict the lawful carry or possession of firearms by tenants or their guests.

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=624.714

I am not a lawyer, but the recording shows that your friend was told he will be evicted for keeping a loaded firearm at the rental property. The landlord is not legally allowed to make that a condition of living there. I'd say your friend has a case for unlawful eviction, and/or of the landlord illegally stripping your friend of his rights as a condition of remaining a tenant. This landlord is nothing but a thug and needs a serious legal beat-down.

I'd have him contact an attorney and see what he thinks about this. Marc Berris is a lawyer that deals with firearms law, and would be the best person to advise your friend on his options: 612-332-3100

That would be my thinking, and plan as well. I wouldn't be playing anything out on the internet, however.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby XDM45 on Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:54 pm

Take down the video, contact a lawyer, show it to him, pursue it legally.
Gnothi Seauton
XDM45

Postby t140 on Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:58 pm

Sue him. The end.
t140

Postby dtapper2 on Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:39 am

xd9 wrote:

This is all I got from that video...Was thinking the same thing as soon I hit play.
If you want a guarantee, buy a toaster.
dtapper2

Postby InsertNameHere on Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:56 pm

This thing is on the new already...
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
_Robert A. Heinlein
InsertNameHere

Postby Glenn_S on Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:02 am

Based on the news report, the landlord must have lawyered up, because he says he is not evicting him, just not renewing his month to month lease. It also states that the guy is behind on his rent, which may or may not be true.

Therein lies the problem with a month to month lease. Basically you can be out in 30 days. With a one year lease he would have more leverage. Also paying his rent would help, if that is a factor... :doh:
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.
-Benjamin Franklin
Glenn_S

Next

Return to Politics