What happens if. . .

Firearms related political discussion forum

What happens if. . .

Postby harryset on Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:44 pm

Minnesota has a Permit to Carry law, and they pass a law that says it is illegal for a carried firearm to be visible.
stercus accidit
It's not the LAWS you necessarily have to worry about, it's how the laws are regulated.

Send Me
harryset

Re: What happens if. . .

Postby Thunder71 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:50 pm

You obey the law.
Thunder71

Postby BU1 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:06 pm

Thunder71 wrote:You obey the law.

....................... and then you will have a concealed carry permit.
BU1

Postby Tronster on Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:33 pm

...and based on the language of the law, someone may be penalized or lose a permit because their shirt rode up over their gun. The fact that we have a permit to carry regardless of open or concealed helps to avoid such legal hassles.
Tronster

Postby XDM45 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:18 pm

Let's work to prevent that form happening because it's another way to restrict us and turn us into felons because we "printed" or something lame like that.

I prefer to OC for a variety of reasons covered long ago on in here in another thread, everyone knows where I stand so no need to turn it into an OC vs CC debate here.
Gnothi Seauton
XDM45

Postby texasprowler on Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:54 pm

Texas conceal law takes the printing and the shirt thing into account. One needs more than just knowledge of a gun presence to charge misuse.

Open carry in TX is a threat, apparently, so I see room for subjective interpretation.
texasprowler

Postby goalie on Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:41 am

XDM45 wrote:
I prefer to OC for a variety of reasons covered long ago on in here in another thread, everyone knows where I stand so no need to turn it into an OC vs CC debate here.

Why does this not surprise me in the least?
It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it.
goalie

Postby darkwolf45 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:14 am

XDM45 wrote:I prefer to OC for a variety of reasons covered long ago on in here in another thread, everyone knows where I stand so no need to turn it into an OC vs CC debate here.

Compensating for something? :mrgreen:
darkwolf45
Banned

Postby Thunder71 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:18 am

darkwolf45 wrote:
XDM45 wrote:I prefer to OC for a variety of reasons covered long ago on in here in another thread, everyone knows where I stand so no need to turn it into an OC vs CC debate here.

Unconstitutional, overreacting, rights stripping voters, perhaps? If we could just get those in favor of our rights to stop talking trash about open carry it may help us to not have to worry about this scenario. Like it or not, carrying concealed isn't for everyone, and I for one appreciate the fact there is no distinction/requirement to do so in this state for the very reason of the topic at hand.

Let's not ruin the few good things we have going for us.
Thunder71

Postby XDM45 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:01 am

darkwolf45 wrote:

Yes, actually I am.

I'm compensating for the lack of security force to protect myself and my family like the President has.
I'm compensating for the lack of security provided by life in general.
I'm compensating for the lack of the American Legal System to put and keep dangerous people behind bars who have threatened and/or taken the lives of other people.
I'm compensating for the lack of the police to protect me and my family.
I'm compensating for the lack of the...well, you get the idea. I'm taking responsibility for my own life, just like everyone who carries does.

oh.... and then there's also the fact that I just don't give a eff what people think either on how I carry. Not that I've needed to, but I've given my reasons on here why. If you or anyone care that much, look it up. If you don't want to do that, then you obviously don't really care that much and just want the opportunity to be a jerk to someone, and why you'd want to do that is another topic and issue altogether. I certainly don't care if people OC or CC, whatever they want to do is fine by me as long as it's legal.
Last edited by XDM45 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gnothi Seauton
XDM45

Postby XDM45 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:09 am

Thunder71 wrote:
darkwolf45 wrote:

Unconstitutional, overreacting, rights stripping voters, perhaps? If we could just get those in favor of our rights to stop talking trash about open carry it may help us to not have to worry about this scenario. Like it or not, carrying concealed isn't for everyone, and I for one appreciate the fact there is no distinction/requirement to do so in this state for the very reason of the topic at hand.

Let's not ruin the few good things we have going for us.

Amen!!

I've also brought it up that if people could ban OC they would, only to have it explained to me that if OC was banned, then it'd affect CC, which makes sense... yet what doesn't make sense is some people still whining about it.

I'll tell you one thing though, people who OC NEED to be a lot more trained and a lot more aware than someone who only CCs. It's also a lot more responsibility with your gun and with your actions. Someone CCing could get away with being a jerk, even if the situation didn't escalate; but someone OCing can't even be the slightest bit rude. I go out of my way to be overly polite. Like I said, a lot of responsibility, not just with the gun, but with your actions, even more so than if you're OCing vs. CCing.

Maybe some people can't handle that level of responsibility, or maybe they can but are afraid to OC; maybe they see more Cons than Pros to OC, maybe they can't wear the big boy pants or their wife only lets them buy pink pistols and they don't want to be mocked, whatever their reasoning is, fine by me, but for the love of (insert favorite invisible friend who lives in the sky here), leave us OCers alone.

Thanks for the support and for OCing thunder71. Proper OCing makes people more aware. A lot of people seem to be "allergic" to guns and the more we safely expose them to that allergen, the more they become tolerant of of it have less of a reaction to it.
Gnothi Seauton
XDM45

Postby darkwolf45 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:15 am

XDM45 wrote:
darkwolf45 wrote:

Yes, actually I am.

I'm compensating for the lack of security force to protect myself and my family like the President has.
I'm compensating for the lack of security provided by life in general.
I'm compensating for the lack of the American Legal System to put and keep dangerous people behind bars who have threatened and/or taken the lives of other people.
I'm compensating for the lack of the police to protect me and my famiuly.
I'm compensating for the lack of the...well, you get the idea. I'm taking responsibility for my own life, just like everyone who carries does.

oh.... and then there's also the fact that I just don't give a eff what people think either on how I carry. Not that I've needed to, but I've given my reasons on here why. If you or anyone care that much, look it up. If you don't want to do that, then you obviously don't really care that much and just want the opportunity to be a jerk to someone, and why you'd want to do that is another topic and issue altogether. I certainly don't care if people OC or CC, whatever they want to do is fine by me as long as it's legal.

It was actually just supposed to be a joke. I have nothing against OC philosophically speaking. By all means, do it and if I ever saw you on the street getting guff for it I would gladly back you up not even knowing who you are.

Would I OC? Probably not. Conceal offers me tactical advantages i dont want to simply give up. But I get why people would want to do it. More power to you. But it was only meant as a joke.
darkwolf45
Banned

Postby The Verminator on Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:15 am

Tronster wrote:...and based on the language of the law, someone may be penalized or lose a permit because their shirt rode up over their gun. The fact that we have a permit to carry regardless of open or concealed helps to avoid such legal hassles.

If you know how to carry concealed, your shirt won't be "riding up over your gun." It's just a matter of knowing what you're doing.
The Verminator

Postby Texastransplant on Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:19 am

texasprowler wrote:Texas conceal law takes the printing and the shirt thing into account. One needs more than just knowledge of a gun presence to charge misuse.

Open carry in TX is a threat, apparently, so I see room for subjective interpretation.

IIRC "printing" is treated the same as OC in Texas, meaning make sure you aren't printing, or else.
Texastransplant

Postby XDM45 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:21 am

darkwolf45 wrote:It was actually just supposed to be a joke. I have nothing against OC philosophically speaking. By all means, do it and if I ever saw you on the street getting guff for it I would gladly back you up not even knowing who you are.

Would I OC? Probably not. Conceal offers me tactical advantages i dont want to simply give up. But I get why people would want to do it. More power to you. But it was only meant as a joke.

Man, I'm sorry. Seriously, I apologize. I didn't mean to come off so hard. I do get defensive over it because I've been nailed here worse than anywhere else for it, so I'm a bit sensitive and edgy about it on here. Again, my sincerest apologies.

I do see both pros and cons to OC and to CC. I just bought an XDs so I can CC as a backup to my OC, or if need be, I can CC when OC would not work (like at formal gathering like a wedding, business meeting, etc)

Again, I'm sorry. Truly, I am.
Gnothi Seauton
XDM45

Next

Return to Politics