Dayton slams NRA's 'bogus' gun arguments

Firearms related political discussion forum

Re: Dayton slams NRA's 'bogus' gun arguments

Postby Heffay on Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:55 pm

Hmac wrote:The basis being my right to manage my privately owned property. I'm trying to think of an analogous situation as it applies to voting.

To be honest, I'm not very concerned about proving my identity and that I am not a prohibited person before buying a gun in a private transaction. It's the registration component of that that I oppose.

Most of the sales of firearms that I see here on MGT require a DL and PTP/PTC before consummating.

That's the seller's prerogative, not a requirement by law.

Although I don't think registration should be required for either voting or owning a gun. I'm trying to maintain an intellectually honest and consistent viewpoint with that.
To the two forum members who have used lines from my posts as their signatures, can't you quote Jesse Ventura or some other great Minnesotan instead of stealing mine? - LePetomane
Heffay

Postby Hmac on Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:57 pm

Heffay wrote:
Hmac wrote:The basis being my right to manage my privately owned property. I'm trying to think of an analogous situation as it applies to voting.

To be honest, I'm not very concerned about proving my identity and that I am not a prohibited person before buying a gun in a private transaction. It's the registration component of that that I oppose.

Most of the sales of firearms that I see here on MGT require a DL and PTP/PTC before consummating.

That's the seller's prerogative, not a requirement by law.

Although I don't think registration should be required for either voting or owning a gun. I'm trying to maintain an intellectually honest and consistent viewpoint with that.

See, whereas I wouldn't care if it were required by law. I'm OK with providing credentials before either voting or buying a gun. I also am trying to be consistent and intellectually honest.

I don't care about registration to vote. I am in favor or making sure that it's legal for a person to vote before they do so.
Hmac

Postby jshuberg on Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:10 pm

Owning a firearm is a right.
Voting in an election is an entitlement.

You're making an apples to oranges comparison.
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Personal Protection In The Home Instructor
NRA Life Member
MCPPA Certified Instructor
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Postby Heffay on Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:18 pm

jshuberg wrote:Owning a firearm is a right.

Voting is a right.
To the two forum members who have used lines from my posts as their signatures, can't you quote Jesse Ventura or some other great Minnesotan instead of stealing mine? - LePetomane
Heffay

Postby jshuberg on Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:41 pm

Heffay wrote:Voting is a right.

Having representation in government is a right, the act of voting is an entitlement provided by the state.
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Personal Protection In The Home Instructor
NRA Life Member
MCPPA Certified Instructor
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Postby Heffay on Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:43 pm

jshuberg wrote:

Having representation in government is a right, the act of voting is an entitlement provided by the state.

Nope. Voting is a right.
Heffay

Postby 2in2out on Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:45 pm

:bolt:

Can we go back to talking about bogus Dayton and his bogus claims... er, no?
"...the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..." ---Frederick Douglass
2in2out

Postby infidel on Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:46 pm

Heffay wrote:
jshuberg wrote:

Nope. Voting is a right.

For whom?
“If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire the A-Team.” - John Ashley

Disclaimer: Do not assume from this post, that I either agree or disagree with any other issue brought up in this thread.
infidel

Postby darkwolf45 on Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:47 pm

2in2out wrote::bolt:

Can we go back to talking about bogus Dayton and his bogus claims... er, no?

Yep. Dayton is a hoser, eh.
darkwolf45
Banned

Postby The Verminator on Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:52 pm

Yeah, let's continue to make enemies for gun owners and prove that we're all Neanderthals by bashing and namecalling our governor.

That's real bright.
The Verminator

Postby Hmac on Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:54 pm

infidel wrote:For whom?

I certify that I:
• will be at least 18 years old on election day;
• am a citizen of the United States;
• will have resided in Minnesota for 20 days immediately preceding election day;
• maintain residence at the address given on the registration form;
• am not under court-ordered guardianship in which the court order revokes my right to vote;
• have not been found by a court to be legally incompetent to vote;
• have the right to vote because, i f I have been convicted of a felony, my felony sentence has expired (been
completed) or I have been discharged from my sentence; and
• have read and understand this statement, that giving false information is a felony punishable by not more than 5
years imprisonment or a fi ne of not more than $10, 000, or both.
Hmac

Postby The Lance on Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:13 pm

Heffay wrote:
Voting is a right.

If you are a Citizen of the united states, It is... We have plenty of people here who have permanent resident cards and stay that way their whole lives

But anyone who doesn't have a criminal background and purchase a firearm..
I'm not down with the republican party, or the democratic party. I represent the MI6
The Lance

Postby crbutler on Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:33 pm

I'm really a pretty conservative individual, but it seems to me that if you are worried about gun rights, you really should not be attacking the Democrats who support gun rights. Perhaps the governor could be asked to stop politicking on this divisive issue, but that is going to be something that he needs to hear from his supporters, not people who repeatedly attack him for anything else he does.

It seems to me that we gun owners are being coopted into a position that we "have" to support a party that is "more in tune" with gun rights, rather than just the gun rights. If we as a group let this happen, the we will lose our gun rights at some point in the future. The other side will win, and they will know that we never supported them in the first place, so what does it cost them to vote against us as gun owners?

I think the large number of union member democrats who hunt/fish and feel a need to be secure in their own homes let the DFL know that this was not supported by their constituency, let alone the "majority" of voters. I suspect this had a lot to do with what we are seeing in St. Paul right now.

However, if the NRA continues to burn bridges by further identifying itself with one party (as was shown by Mr. LaPierre's misguided appearance at CPAC), we have only ourselves to blame.

I expect my donations to the NRA to only go to gun issues. If a democrat earns an A rating, woe be to the NRA to support a republican without a proven rating because "they think he is more likely to support gun rights based on his responses to our questionnaire." Just say what the ratings are, and be done with it.

I can support the republicans for conservatism generally. The NRA is for gun rights, and only gun rights (and I am an endowment life member.)

I could sit and argue with Heffay all day about voting fraud, but that has nothing to do with gun rights or the NRA. If the NRA didn't stick itself where it does not belong so often (even if that position is my personally supported one) the the Governor would not be willing to make negative statements about the NRA and risk offending a large part of his constituency. As it is, having a Democrat defy the NRA is something they have to do to keep their political base happy... and even the pro gun democrats are forced to agree that the NRA has taken shots at their party on general principles in the past.
crbutler

Postby grousemaster on Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:36 pm

Heffay wrote:
Texastransplant wrote:And yet the same people howl to high heaven when we ask for ID to vote. Isn't voting a right? If they propose background checks on one right, why not on all? Morons.

I find it funny that some people support voter ID but oppose gun registration. Lack of consistency right there.

:?
01 FFL
NRA Life Member
NRA Business Alliance
grousemaster

Re: Re: Dayton slams NRA's 'bogus' gun arguments

Postby texasprowler on Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:29 pm

jshuberg wrote:Owning a firearm is a right.

Voting is a verb.
A right is a noun.
Apples and oranges are nouns.
texasprowler

PreviousNext

Return to Politics