The compromise - from Sen. Toomey's website

Firearms related political discussion forum

Postby MXGreg on Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:54 pm

Came across this on another forum.

http://www.toomey.senate.gov/?p=press_release&id=965

Bottom Line: The Public Safety and Second Amendment Rights Protection Act would require states and the federal government to send all necessary records on criminals and the violently mentally ill to the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS). The bill extends the existing background check system to gun shows and online sales.

The bill explicitly bans the federal government from creating a national firearms registry, and imposes serious criminal penalties (a felony with up to 15 years in prison) on any person who misuses or illegally retains firearms records.
MXGreg

Re: The compromise - from Sen. Toomey's website

Postby Snakeman721 on Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:12 pm

Hmmmm, a bill that actually makes some sense. Now, IF the Senate allows a debate on it, I'm sure it will get trashed and have amendments added and look nothing like the original.
Get off my lawn!
Snakeman721

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:36 pm

GOA is not impressed.

Senator Toomey Betrays Gun Owners

http://gunowners.org/a04102013.htm
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby NMRMN on Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:39 pm

I'm not either.

ETA -- duplicate thread: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=42249&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=30#p453777
I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for thou, Lord, only makest me dwell in safety.
Member GOA | GOCRA | NRA
NMRMN

Postby LarryP on Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:06 pm

I'd rather have a assault weapon ban than Universal background checks
LarryP

Postby farmerj on Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:08 pm

LarryP wrote:I'd rather have a assault weapon ban than Universal background checks

I'd rather have neither. Why should we compromise.

This is a mental health issue. The recent stabbing incident just proves that. The one thing ALL of these cases have in common of mass attacks is mentally disturbed individuals.

By their own admission, the recent classmates ADMITTED that they bullied the kid.
We reap what we sow. In our case, we have sown our government.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Postby Li'l Beaver on Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:12 pm

This appears to by another attempt to infringe on the 2nd rights by another Anti-Gun politician who is straddling the fence. I hope he slips on the fence and it makes him one of the girls.

Well maybe that wouldn't be so good either since he may come back as a reincarnation of another Sen. Klobuchar!
Li'l Beaver

Postby darkwolf45 on Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:48 am

farmerj wrote:
LarryP wrote:I'd rather have a assault weapon ban than Universal background checks

I'd rather have neither. Why should we compromise.

This is a mental health issue. The recent stabbing incident just proves that. The one thing ALL of these cases have in common of mass attacks is mentally disturbed individuals.

By their own admission, the recent classmates ADMITTED that they bullied the kid.

This is more than a mental health issue. Our propensity for violence seems systemic to me and a symptom of much deeper societal issues. For instance, the ever increasing culture war and widening chasm of political partisanship. There is only so long that you can go where the sacred cow of each side is to go after and try to take the sacred cows of the other side before widespread violence becomes a certainty.

Mental health needs serious reform, but it is just scratching the surface in terms of the problems we face. Worse, the kinds of problems we face require deep introspection in to how WE ALL are contributing to the problem rather than look for ways to blame the other side. Not an easy task for a society that prides itself on its superficiality.
darkwolf45
Banned

Postby whiteox on Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:43 pm

Here's the full text of the amendment. I don't like having to pay an FFL every time I sell a gun, but if this is the extent of what passes, I'm ok with it.

http://www.manchin.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/files/serve?File_id=8134649f-6d23-4ef2-882f-6a4555ff4889&SK=BDEA0DD2B0F4D93F905B5BC8DF6F76B6
whiteox

Postby DoxaPar on Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:53 pm

There is at least some good news.

"Congress supports and reaffirms the existing prohibition on a national firearms registry".

Bad news is that it appears all mental health records still go to the feds and still doesn't include what "mental health" issues are disqualifying. Exempts states from HIPAA laws.
DoxaPar

Postby LarryP on Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:38 am

The mental health part is scary. Who knows what that will mean in the end? Look how many people suffer from depression but are not a threat. Get a anti gun doctor & boom! Your name is sent in. IMO it's just a back door to include more victims and block innocents from buying a gun.
LarryP

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:58 am

whiteox wrote:Here's the full text of the amendment. I don't like having to pay an FFL every time I sell a gun, but if this is the extent of what passes, I'm ok with it.

http://www.manchin.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/files/serve?File_id=8134649f-6d23-4ef2-882f-6a4555ff4889&SK=BDEA0DD2B0F4D93F905B5BC8DF6F76B6

Please enjoy the confiscation of your guns.
Holland&Holland

Postby whiteox on Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:46 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:
whiteox wrote:Here's the full text of the amendment. I don't like having to pay an FFL every time I sell a gun, but if this is the extent of what passes, I'm ok with it.

Would you please explain exactly what mechanism in the proposed amendment will do that?
whiteox

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:30 pm

whiteox wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:

Would you please explain exactly what mechanism in the proposed amendment will do that?

So only the proposed ammendment matters? Hmmm. When my chilren were little we used to spend hours playing with a book where you could take a writing utinsel and go from number to number until you had a picture in front of you. This does not seem to be a skill you have mastered.
Holland&Holland

Postby whiteox on Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:38 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:
whiteox wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:[quote="whiteox"]Here's the full text of the amendment. I don't like having to pay an FFL every time I sell a gun, but if this is the extent of what passes, I'm ok with it.

So only the proposed ammendment matters? Hmmm. When my chilren were little we used to spend hours playing with a book where you could take a writing utinsel and go from number to number until you had a picture in front of you. This does not seem to be a skill you have mastered.[/quote]

Well the proposed amendment is the topic of the thread, so ...

If you've got some other insight to add about how ANYTHING with a serious chance at passage would result in confiscation I'd like to hear it so I can write me reps in opposition.
whiteox

Next

Return to Politics