MN Anti-Gun Bill Moving Forward

Firearms related political discussion forum

Postby whiteox on Wed May 01, 2013 9:15 am

Heard an ad on Cities97 asking folks to call in support of this bill.

Bloomberg money in action?

This is gonna be a fight.
whiteox

Re: MN Anti-Gun Bill Moving Forward

Postby PHATSPEED7x on Wed May 01, 2013 10:44 am

I really hate living in a Blue state. Minnesota nice has to stop!
"Amateurs train until they get it right... Professionals train until they get it wrong"
PHATSPEED7x

Postby walt501 on Wed May 01, 2013 5:35 pm

"Minnesota House Speaker: No gun bill this year"

By Jim Ragsdale

House Speaker Paul Thissen, coping with a divided DFL House caucus on the issue of what to do about gun violence, told the Star Tribune Wednesday that there will be no gun bill on the House floor this year.

The decision kills the effort, launched in the wake of the Connecticut school shootings in December, to pass measures to curb gun violence in the state. The House and Senate had focused on expanding background checks on handguns and semiautomatic, military-style assault weapons to some private purchases.

While that bill has moved through committee in the Senate, it has faced strong opposition from the National Rifle Association and gun-rights supporters in the Legislature. Thissen tried once to forge a compromise, which focused on background checks at private sales at gun shows.

But even that bill faced difficulty in passing the House.

"We're not going to take up the gun bill this year," he said. "Neither side has been willing to come to an agreement. We just need more time to work out something that's going to work to prevent gun violence.

http://www.startribune.com/politics/blogs/205674121.html
walt501

Postby Heffay on Wed May 01, 2013 7:13 pm

Holland&Holland, whenever you want to post your "Heffay was right" post... ;-)
To the two forum members who have used lines from my posts as their signatures, can't you quote Jesse Ventura or some other great Minnesotan instead of stealing mine? - LePetomane
Heffay

Postby CarryCauseICan on Wed May 01, 2013 8:01 pm

Heffay wrote:Holland&Holland, whenever you want to post your "Heffay was right" post... ;-)

I don't feel "Heffay was right". I don't think just sitting back and saying, Nah it'll never happen, is the reason it went no where. I think it was the hundreds, maybe thousand of Minnesotans who emailed, called, personally went to meet with their Reps and Senators, and went to rally's and Committee meetings that made it happen!
Great Job to Minnesota's 2nd Amendment Supporters! :bravo:
Molon Labe!
HEY! Once this girl said, "It's not You, It's Me". I said, "Dang Right It's You! You Heffer!" Si
CarryCauseICan

Postby MaryB on Wed May 01, 2013 11:47 pm

Why don't they start with making it mandatory to investigate failed background checks within 5 days. Sure some will be simple mistakes but they could have possibly taken 13,000 people with warrants off the street in 2011.
MaryB

Postby BigBlue on Thu May 02, 2013 9:01 am

CarryCauseICan wrote:
Heffay wrote:Holland&Holland, whenever you want to post your "Heffay was right" post... ;-)

I don't feel "Heffay was right". I don't think just sitting back and saying, Nah it'll never happen, is the reason it went no where. I think it was the hundreds, maybe thousand of Minnesotans who emailed, called, personally went to meet with their Reps and Senators, and went to rally's and Committee meetings that made it happen!
Great Job to Minnesota's 2nd Amendment Supporters! :bravo:

Indeed, sitting around assuming nothing would proceed would NOT have achieved the same goal. Just listen to what Sen. majority leader Bakk said in another article:

He called gun rights supporters “a passionate constituency” and said they’ve contacted him more than any other interest group this year. “That kind of organization matters,” Bakk said.

It went away because we fought it off.

BB
BigBlue

Postby bigbad401 on Thu May 02, 2013 9:37 am

I am sure that all the emails and calls did a great service to get this defeated. I know that I emailed enough!!!
bigbad401

Postby XDM45 on Thu May 02, 2013 10:47 am

I'm glad this was defeated, but look how much time, energy and effort we spend on the defense because we're always having to defend the 2A.... what we need to do is go on the offense and get bills into laws on the books that are pro-freedom, pro-rights, pro-gun. Along with that, we need to amend the state Constitution so it too is ro-freedom, pro-rights, pro-gun. He who has the most laws, wins.
Gnothi Seauton
XDM45

Postby Lights on Thu May 02, 2013 10:57 am

XDM45 wrote:I'm glad this was defeated, but look how much time, energy and effort we spend on the defense because we're always having to defend the 2A.... what we need to do is go on the offense and get bills into laws on the books that are pro-freedom, pro-rights, pro-gun. Along with that, we need to amend the state Constitution so it too is ro-freedom, pro-rights, pro-gun. He who has the most laws, wins.

I will second that thought.
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified RSO
Lights

Postby XDM45 on Thu May 02, 2013 11:23 am

Lights wrote:
XDM45 wrote:I'm glad this was defeated, but look how much time, energy and effort we spend on the defense because we're always having to defend the 2A.... what we need to do is go on the offense and get bills into laws on the books that are pro-freedom, pro-rights, pro-gun. Along with that, we need to amend the state Constitution so it too is ro-freedom, pro-rights, pro-gun. He who has the most laws, wins.

Thank you for that.

I'm glad we can hold our position and defend our rights in these battles, but we need to win the war. The only way to do that is to capture more ground and keep the opponent on the defensive in retreat. There will be another spree shooting. There will be more attempts at taking aware our rights. There will be this cycle that will continue.

Everyone gets so giddy and gleeful when we "win" these battles, but now that the AGers have stopped hitting us, it's time to strike back harder, faster, and with more force than they used against us. It's time to use superior firepower and tactics (legally speaking). Too many times I see gun owners like the kid that's happy the school yard bully has finally stopped hitting them and they just want to be left alone. Well, we know how that goes... the bully keeps picking on you until you destroy him. We as a community have stopped the current legislation, now we need to keep that momentum going and get thisn in our favor.

Since re-election time is coming up in 2014, perhaps now is the time to get some pro-gun legislation rolling. It would actually HELP some politicians I think.
Gnothi Seauton
XDM45

Postby farmerj on Thu May 02, 2013 1:16 pm

XDM45 wrote:
Lights wrote:

Thank you for that.

I'm glad we can hold our position and defend our rights in these battles, but we need to win the war. The only way to do that is to capture more ground and keep the opponent on the defensive in retreat. There will be another spree shooting. There will be more attempts at taking aware our rights. There will be this cycle that will continue.

Everyone gets so giddy and gleeful when we "win" these battles, but now that the AGers have stopped hitting us, it's time to strike back harder, faster, and with more force than they used against us. It's time to use superior firepower and tactics (legally speaking). Too many times I see gun owners like the kid that's happy the school yard bully has finally stopped hitting them and they just want to be left alone. Well, we know how that goes... the bully keeps picking on you until you destroy him. We as a community have stopped the current legislation, now we need to keep that momentum going and get thisn in our favor.

Since re-election time is coming up in 2014, perhaps now is the time to get some pro-gun legislation rolling. It would actually HELP some politicians I think.

Gun laws and other hotbed topics are so sensitive, most legislatures don't want to risk their career over it....
We reap what we sow. In our case, we have sown our government.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Postby XDM45 on Thu May 02, 2013 2:34 pm

farmerj wrote:Gun laws and other hotbed topics are so sensitive, most legislatures don't want to risk their career over it....

When they propose anti-freedom, anti-gun legislation, they are putting their careers at risk because I and many others will vote against them.

The real problem lies in the fact that most people fail to understand 2A, firearms, etc. If the vast majority of people were educated in guns, 2A, etc, if they really understood and weren't silent about the issues, then the politicians would be more apt to go with pro-gun legislation.
Gnothi Seauton
XDM45

Postby oddball on Thu May 02, 2013 3:25 pm

bigbad401 wrote:I am sure that all the emails and calls did a great service to get this defeated. I know that I emailed enough!!!

This
oddball

Postby whiteox on Thu May 02, 2013 3:56 pm

whiteox wrote:Heard an ad on Cities97 asking folks to call in support of this bill.

Bloomberg money in action?

This is gonna be a fight.

Well that was an easier win than I thought it was gonna be. Still waiting for the other shoe to drop. They revived other stuff they've given up on, like clothing taxes. Wouldn't put it past em to do the same with this.
whiteox

PreviousNext

Return to Politics