Keystone Cops: Minneapolis Division 2 Dead, 3 Wounded: Bad

Firearms related political discussion forum

Postby gunsmith on Sat May 11, 2013 10:12 am

http://kstp.com/news/stories/S3029730.shtml?cat=1

I'm really just scratching my head at this story....could someone in / retired law enforcement chime in?

I want to think 'Keystone Kops' ...a chase suspect grabs an officer's MACHINE GUN during a struggle and shoots not one but 2 cops in the legs. (FMJ or hollowpoint?) and on the way to assist (important call: officer down) a squad car goes through a stop sign (in Uptown, the most densely populated area of the state) and KILLS A GUY ON A MOTORCYCLE and maims his girlfriend.

Is this the same crew that shot up a Hmong family's house and then gave themselves medals?

I expect coverup but don't want to jump the gun here. 2 shot cops with their own MACHINE GUN and a dead civilian....If the cop didn't have his lights / siren on, he needs to find another line of work, even just as an example to other cops that the city isn't some kind of Military Kill Zone.

Why do we have a dead man who leaves behind a spouse with a broken body?

Officers Shot with Own Gun During South Mpls Fight

We are learning more details about what happened after two Minneapolis police officers were shot during a chase with a suspect Friday afternoon.
The suspect has been confirmed dead by police in the shooting happened shortly before 3:30 p.m. Friday at 2717 Bryant Ave. S. No further details were released about the suspect.
According to a source, the two shot officers are SWAT members assigned to warrant service but were not serving a warrant at the time of the incident. They were not on the start of the stolen car chase but were called in after to help search for a burglary suspect.

While at the home, officers first sent a K9 into the basement to flush out the male suspect, according to a source. When officers heard the suspect begin fighting with the canine, four to five officers rushed into the basement to help, according to the source.
The source said it was an all-out brawl and one of the officers involved described the suspect as "crazed."
At some point during the fight, the suspect grabbed a MP5 sub-machine gun that was in a sling around an officer's neck that typically hangs in front of the officer's body across the chest and stomach, and pulled the trigger, according to two well-placed sources.

The two wounded officers were shot with a department-issued gun, the sources said.

The incident started as a suspect in a car fled officers. A foot chase ensued, and the suspect broke into the house, according to Minneapolis Police.
A police squad, that was responding to the scene of the shooting, collided with a motorcycle, said Sgt. Stephen McCarty, police spokesman.
A man on the motorcycle died, and a female passenger was injured. She was in stable condition Friday night, according to police.

gunsmith

Re: Keystone Cops: Minneapolis Division 2 Dead, 3 Wounded: Bad

Postby ijosef on Sat May 11, 2013 11:07 am

When I first heard the story (Two wounded police officers, suspect dead, then motorcyclist killed by squad car), my first thought was "I bet the cop driving the squad was negligent when he hit the dude on the motorcycle." Then I thought to myself - what is it with the MPD when that's the first thought that springs to mind? Am I just a jaded cop-hating douchebag, or am I a jaded douchebag who came to that conclusion simply because of all the past negative behavior of the MPD?

I honestly hope for the best, at least the best outcome you can get when an innocent man is killed and his widow is left wounded and grieving, but if the officer driving the car was negligent then he needs to be held accountable for his actions.

Hypothetical - a cop is responding to a scene, no lights, no sirens, and runs a stop sign. He hits and kills someone (someone who had the right of way). Would he/she be charged?
ijosef

Postby Greg on Sat May 11, 2013 11:47 am

https://soundcloud.com/mpls-police-chas ... -on-friday

The house the perp broke into, and the shooting happened in, belonged to the morning program news director for MPR, who came home during the search and found a broken window and then informed the cops who were in the area searching.

http://www.startribune.com/local/minnea ... 75601.html
Diesel Boats and tube radios forever!
Greg

Postby Nalez on Sat May 11, 2013 12:45 pm

I have been wondering if the cop car that hit the motorcycle had lights and/or sirens on. If not, and the cop car went through the stop sign that is negligent operation of a vehicle; which presents a case of vehicular manslaughter.
Nalez

Postby tman on Sat May 11, 2013 1:14 pm

Nalez wrote:I have been wondering if the cop car that hit the motorcycle had lights and/or sirens on. If not, and the cop car went through the stop sign that is negligent operation of a vehicle; which presents a case of vehicular manslaughter.

If the police response was not according to policy, then the cop will lose his immunity from personal liability.

Crim Vehicular Operation requires "gross negligence" or negligence AND intoxication.

To get that charge when sober is a tough sell.

Sent from my iPhone using that app which shall not be named.
Badged Thug & MN Permit to Carry Instructor
Slowly growing 1911 Glock collection. Donations accepted
tman

Postby gunsmith on Sat May 11, 2013 1:48 pm

I wonder why the new Minneapolis police cars are black in the front and back and white only in the middle, and many have low profile emergency lights?
I think it's so they are 'less visible' The all white cars were easily identifiable as police cars and I'll bet it's a conscious decision to go with the black in front and back just to be stealthy.

Nothing is going to change here and it's only going to be an issue when the lawyer is negotiating a settlement with the city for the death.

gunsmith

Postby tman on Sat May 11, 2013 3:24 pm

gunsmith wrote:I think it's so they are 'less visible' The all white cars were easily identifiable as police cars and I'll bet it's a conscious decision to go with the black in front and back just to be stealthy

Black & White are traditional police car colors. Nothing sinister about it.

And low profile lights have less "wind" noise, while still being bright as ****.

Sent from my iPhone using that app which shall not be named.
Badged Thug & MN Permit to Carry Instructor
Slowly growing 1911 Glock collection. Donations accepted
tman

Postby Ranger01 on Sat May 11, 2013 4:28 pm

If you want to see stealthy cop cars you should see the new Richfield Chevy interceptors. All dark colors, no light bar, markings on only one side. I've only seen one of the new cars that isnt like that.
Ranger01

Postby chunkstyle on Sat May 11, 2013 5:22 pm

I saw a report that the cop was lights and sirens ON. Also, that intersection is controlled by a stop light, and the cop ran it.
"In his library at Simi Valley, dead Reagan waits dreaming"
chunkstyle

Postby xd ED on Sat May 11, 2013 6:27 pm

chunkstyle wrote:I saw a report that the cop was lights and sirens ON. Also, that intersection is controlled by a stop light, and the cop ran it.

WHen I drive through Mpls and encounter emergency vehicles, I have this recurring question pop up as to why a city like that doesn't have a more wide-spread use of the OptiCom system, given all the dumb **** stuff they DO spend money on.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby goda0301 on Sat May 11, 2013 8:13 pm

i heard on the radio this moring that MPD sent out a tweet yesterday that, it was unclear at this time if the cop or motorcycle driver ran a red light or who had the right away...what a joke! You can bet your ass that if it was a MPD motorcycle cop hit by someone in a cage, heads would be rolling... we would of had all the details about that driver etc...
goda0301

Postby Lights on Sat May 11, 2013 9:32 pm

goda0301 wrote:i heard on the radio this moring that MPD sent out a tweet yesterday that, it was unclear at this time if the cop or motorcycle driver ran a red light or who had the right away...what a joke! You can bet your ass that if it was a MPD motorcycle cop hit by someone in a cage, heads would be rolling... we would of had all the details about that driver etc...

+1 on that!
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified RSO
Lights

Postby mc762x54R on Sat May 11, 2013 10:22 pm

I always wondered why cop cars aren't blaze orange...
mc762x54R

Postby xd9 on Sat May 11, 2013 11:27 pm

Stealth:

Yep, can't see that one.

I guess they could go back to these:

xd9

Postby jshuberg on Sat May 11, 2013 11:37 pm

My understanding is that lights and sirens are merely a request to yield the right of way, and that when a cop runs a red light, sirens or not, he does not have a right to recklessly endanger the population. They are still required to operate their vehicles in a safe and controlled manner.

If a cop running a red light killed another motorist, it should be treated no differently than if Joe citizen did the exact same thing. I understand that there were officers down, and that seconds can make the difference between life and death in those scenarios, but that can't possibly justify the inadvertent killing of a bystander while trying to reach the scene.

The idea that the cop had a green light, and that a guy on a motorcycle just happened to run a red light and crash into a patrol car that was speeding to a crime scene is beyond preposterous.
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Personal Protection In The Home Instructor
NRA Life Member
MCPPA Certified Instructor
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Next

Return to Politics