Gun registration now?

Firearms related political discussion forum

Gun registration now?

Postby Scratch on Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:12 am

Did gun registration now go through in Washington DC? Someone mentioned it to me last night but I can't find anything about it.
01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

Re: Gun registration now?

Postby hunterfreakhd on Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:26 am

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/12 ... rs-chills/

This is prolly what they were talking about.
"If guns cause crime then all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent
http://www.outdoortrader.net
hunterfreakhd

Postby bstrawse on Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:33 am

Scratch wrote:Did gun registration now go through in Washington DC? Someone mentioned it to me last night but I can't find anything about it.

DC has had registration for at least 20+ years. What's happening is that all gun owners have to RE-REGISTER again by a deadline at some point this year... many won't and will become felons as a result (if caught)
b
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby Scratch on Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:08 am

01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

Postby Vikingsfan93 on Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:13 am

Here is a dumb question I know....are firearms (rifles specifically) registered in Minnesota when you buy them?
Vikingsfan93

Postby Lunchbox on Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:42 am

Vikingsfan93 wrote:Here is a dumb question I know....are firearms (rifles specifically) registered in Minnesota when you buy them?

nope
"Time is the best teacher, but unfortunately, it kills all of its students" - Robin Williams
"You see this? This... is my boomstick! The twelve-gauge double-barreled Remington." - Ash Williams
Lunchbox

Gun registration now?

Postby PhilaBOR on Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:47 am

Vikingsfan93 wrote:Here is a dumb question I know....are firearms (rifles specifically) registered in Minnesota when you buy them?

Nope. Except the store has a record of every firearm they sold, serial number, and name and address of purchaser. But firearms aren't registered. /end sarcasm
"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations..."
PhilaBOR

Postby SparkyJeff on Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:38 am

The 4473 paperwork is like a fragmented registry that is stored in a few thousand locations that have varied levels of security.
A fight for liberty somewhere, is a fight for liberty everywhere.
SparkyJeff

Gun registration now?

Postby PhilaBOR on Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:18 am

SparkyJeff wrote:The 4473 paperwork is like a fragmented registry that is stored in a few thousand locations that have varied levels of security.

Yes. And if the government decided to collect, scan, OCR and index them, presto chango, registry. Are there legal obstacles? Yes. Are there possible scenarios where those obstacles can be overcome? Yes. Do I hope it never happens? Yes.

But there are other routes if it really goes sideways. Capture the servers at Midway, Brownells, Lucky Gunner. Run a report of customers sorted by total purchase $ per year. Send in the ATF APC's.

Or they could use state hunting license records. Higher percentage of Fudds and less militia types, but you gotta start somewhere.

Did I mention concealed carry permit records?

Face it, you're on a list unless you've always paid cash for everything, never filled out a form, ordered online, filled out a waiver at a range, etc.

"We all need to hang together or we will surely hang separately." Ben Franklin.
"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations..."
PhilaBOR

Postby Evad on Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:36 am

PhilaBOR wrote:Face it, you're on a list unless you've always paid cash for everything, never filled out a form, ordered online, filled out a waiver at a range, etc.

Exactly. It may not be an organized list, and it's huge...but it's there somewhere.
Evad

Gun registration now?

Postby jshuberg on Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:24 pm

The move to online record keeping will be another means to create a central registry. The NSA will simply harvest the data the same way they do phone calls and online activity.

If they fail at universal background checks, they'll go for electronic 4473 in a specified format much like HL7 for health care. They'll argue it's for efficiency, but in fact it will be for their never ending thirst for as much personal information on the populace as possible. 1984 was for amateurs, fedgov likely knows more about you than you do at this point. If something is stored or communicated in an electronic form, it's in a database somewhere. If we truly want to prevent a centralized registry from being realized, we need to resist electronic records of any kind.
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Personal Protection In The Home Instructor
NRA Life Member
MCPPA Certified Instructor
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Postby Steelslinger on Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:32 pm

Hope everyone pays for their gun related purchases with cash only (no checks or credit cards) cause otherwise, they don't need to collect 4473's, just credit card billings and bank statements will tell them who owns guns.
Steelslinger

Postby AFTERMATH on Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:14 pm

Steelslinger wrote:Hope everyone pays for their gun related purchases with cash only (no checks or credit cards) cause otherwise, they don't need to collect 4473's, just credit card billings and bank statements will tell them who owns guns.

They'd still need to get a warrant for that - But they don't necessarily do that anyway...
RWVA Senior Instructor -- http://www.RWVA.org
AFTERMATH

Postby XDM45 on Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:32 pm

Ya know, gun registration is an important issue, as are gun rights, freedom, all of it and much more too...... however, let me give it a different perspective for a second......

None of it REALLY matters at the end of your life. Doubt me? Ask anyone who has died and came back; or ask anyone that has been given a terminal diagnosis, heck, even ask the very old in age who are very near the end of their life about what really, really matters in life....and I can guarantee you that guns won't even be in the top 25 of their list.

On your deathbed will you worry about rights? How much you worked? How much money and/or things you have/had? or will you be thinking of Love, Family, Close Friends, etc? I'm not saying to not give time, energy and effort to gun rights and/or whatever else is important to you; I'm saying just don't make such things the majority or sole focus of your life...because in the end, they don't really matter. Fight and work for what you believe in, your causes, just not the exclusion of all else and what REALLY matters.
Gnothi Seauton
XDM45

Gun registration now?

Postby jshuberg on Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:56 pm

I would say that generally I agree with you. Guns aren't one of the important things in life, they're what we use to protect and ensure the things that are important. Most people in the US are fortunate to never have had to use a gun to defend themselves or their loved ones, but many people have. The presence of firearms is also a deterrent to tyranny that might rob people of those things that are the most important.

When our ability to own and carry guns is threatened, our means to defend the things that are most important in life are also threatened. A free man should fight to keep his gun as strongly as he would fight for those things his gun exists to protect.
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Personal Protection In The Home Instructor
NRA Life Member
MCPPA Certified Instructor
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Next

Return to Politics