Politics and the 2nd Amendment

Firearms related political discussion forum

Politics and the 2nd Amendment

Postby Spartan on Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:02 am

Andrew Rothman from GOCRA spoke last night at the Post 435 Rally. It struck me that GOCRA has led the charge for gun right the last several years but many gun owners have taken for granted that "someone " would take of it so they didn't have to..... or as Andrew said " some else would carry their water".

We have all jumped up and stormed the capitol when "they" were proposing bills to limit rounds in magazines and ban "evil black rifles" and restrict your right to buy (lol) body armor (lol) *( because so many atrocities have been committed by body armor). This background check blitz is the real thing ...... It is more sinister than any of the in the face crap last year or in the recent past.

BLOOMBERG HAS $30,000,000,000.00 give or take a few $100,000,000 .... he has targeted Minnesota as stomping ground prime for the picking ..... he has funded lobbyists!
This the most serious threat to your civil liberties since the ban.... the difference now is they want confiscation......

They call this Universal background checks..... they will push for Registration...... and then Confiscation..... if you don't believe this look at CT and NY .....

Those of you who choose to do nothing .. and I mean doing nothing something you are actively doing ..... then you deserve what will occur.... Please let the rest of us know you chose to do nothing so we can stop expecting something and get on with the battle with out you ...... I expect "WE" will be successful in repelling the "antis" and those who chose to do nothing will reap the benefits... however, if it goes against us ... and you CHOOSE to do nothing ..... I hope you can live with the knowledge that you quit without a fight when they come for your arms.
Last edited by Spartan on Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:17 am, edited 3 times in total.
Spartan

Re: Politics and the 2nd Amendment

Postby photogpat on Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:07 am

+1 :bravo:
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby gunsmith on Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:30 am

Seriously....How much money do WE have?

Do we have any wealthy benefactors?

Any Sons-of-Lumber barons writing big checks to GOCRA?

My point being...if it's going to be decided by size-of-warchest.....we're toast already, Right?

This year I want to upgrade from 'observer' / 'emailer' to sign carrier at capitol and minor contributor.....

10,000 more like me and the outcome will be a toss-up.

I fully appreciate those who've been 'carrying the water for me' :)
gunsmith

Postby photogpat on Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:37 am

gunsmith wrote:Seriously....How much money do WE have?

Do we have any wealthy benefactors?

Any Sons-of-Lumber barons writing big checks to GOCRA?

My point being...if it's going to be decided by size-of-warchest.....we're toast already, Right?

This year I want to upgrade from 'observer' / 'emailer' to sign carrier at capitol and minor contributor.....

10,000 more like me and the outcome will be a toss-up.

I fully appreciate those who've been 'carrying the water for me' :)

The PAC has been busy fund-raising. I'll leave it to them to tell you about what they've been busy doing.

Don't forget that 10,000 Minnesota RESIDENT gun owners have more to say, politically, than 1-2 out of state Politicians.
photogpat

Postby Evad on Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:33 am

photogpat wrote:The PAC has been busy fund-raising. I'll leave it to them to tell you about what they've been busy doing.

Don't forget that 10,000 Minnesota RESIDENT gun owners have more to say, politically, than 1-2 out of state Politicians.

That reminds me, I meant to donate. I can't do it Bloomberg style, but I would bet every bit helps.
Evad

Postby Randygmn on Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:43 am

Spartan wrote:Andrew Rothman from GOCRA spoke last night at the Post 435 Rally. It struck me that GOCRA has let the charge for gun right the last several years but many gun owners have taken for granted that "someone " would take of it so they didn't have to..... or as Andrew said " some else would carry their water".

We have all jumped up and stormed the capitol when "they" were proposing bills to limit rounds in magazines and ban "evil black rifles" and restrict your right to buy (lol) body armor (lol) *( because so many atrocities have been committed by body armor). This background check blitz is the real thing ...... It is more sinister than any of the in the face crap last your or in the recent past.

BLOOMBERG HAS $30,000,000,000.00 give or take a few $100,000,000 .... he has targeted Minnesota as stomping ground prime for the picking ..... he has funded lobbyists!
This the most serious threat to your civil liberties the ban.... the difference now is they want confiscation......

They call this Universal background checks..... they will push for Registration...... and then Confiscation..... if you don't believe this look at CT and NY .....

Those of you who choose to do nothing .. and I mean doing nothing something you are actively doing ..... then you deserve what will occur.... Please let the rest of us know you chose to do nothing so we can stop expecting something and get on with the battle with out you ...... I expect "WE" will be successful in repelling the "antis" and those who chose to do nothing will reap the benefits... however, if it goes against us ... and you CHOOSE to do nothing ..... I hope you can live with the knowledge that you quit without a fight when they come for your arms.

Oh please. I have reached out multiple times to GOCRA about volunteering. I'm opening a new business and my time is valuable (and not always my own), but I was still interested in making sacrifices for the greater good. GOCRA must have all the help they need, because I haven't heard back from them. So, I suppose your argument is debunked. GOCRA must have everything under control, eh?
Randygmn

Postby photogpat on Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:01 pm

Randy - relax. Your info and qualifications were forwarded to Andrew.

We're volunteers over here...finding something to help out on will come up, believe me.
photogpat

Postby Andrew Rothman on Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:09 pm

Randygmn wrote:Oh please. I have reached out multiple times to GOCRA about volunteering. I'm opening a new business and my time is valuable (and not always my own), but I was still interested in making sacrifices for the greater good. GOCRA must have all the help they need, because I haven't heard back from them. So, I suppose your argument is debunked. GOCRA must have everything under control, eh?

We wish. So far, all of the GOCRA volunteer leaders have full-time day jobs, and are scrambling to get the minimum done. We don't even have time to get back to everyone who contacts us individually.

That said, since Pat was good enough to call this thread to my attention, and now that I've reviewed your email, I think we have the perfect role for you. I'll send you an email.
Andrew Rothman

Postby Jackpine Savage on Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:46 pm

I've sent off emails, printed off application and donation forms for GOCRA and MGOPAC and passed them out at my local sportsman's club meeting. Been trying to think of other things to do.

When I talk to folks up in this neck of the woods not many have heard of GOCRA. I've read that GOCRA folks attend some of the gun shows around the cities. Is there any strategy in place to hit all the gun shows in the state? Hitting up the promoters (Crocodile, Bowers, Neigel) for assistance? How about getting gun shops to do some promoting or at least display some brochures.

Are there materials available to distribute if we contact local gun shops?
Jackpine Savage

Postby RobD on Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:06 pm

Jackpine Savage wrote:I've sent off emails, printed off application and donation forms for GOCRA and MGOPAC and passed them out at my local sportsman's club meeting. Been trying to think of other things to do.

When I talk to folks up in this neck of the woods not many have heard of GOCRA. I've read that GOCRA folks attend some of the gun shows around the cities. Is there any strategy in place to hit all the gun shows in the state? Hitting up the promoters (Crocodile, Bowers, Neigel) for assistance? How about getting gun shops to do some promoting or at least display some brochures.

Are there materials available to distribute if we contact local gun shops?

We've been to Hinkley, Duluth, Rochester, and a few more in greater MN.

Again, without full time staff, having volunteers take time away from family and jobs, especially for multi day trips, is exceedingly hard. We are doing the best we can. Appreciate the work you're doing.

If you have a willing recipient, we can get you some materials. We need volunteers to make those connections for us. There has been a recent surge of groups asking for money from 2A supporters. (some out-of-staters even taking credit for our work and the work of grass roots in MN) Which have made many skeptical of any 2A group.
If our supporters can connect us with those people, it speaks volumes more than a random call or email from us.
Political Director - MN Gun Owners Caucus/PAC
NRA Instructor (BP, PPITH, PPOTH, Reloading, RSO)
Certified Glock Armorer - Permit to Carry Instructor - Aegis Outdoors
RobD

Postby gunsmith on Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:48 pm

How about 'Wealthy Donors'

You KNOW the left has this down, with grants to do all sorts of things.

Off handedly I'll mention Fleet Farm and the family that owns it...the family member Stewart Mills who is running for office...I heard his personal fortune is in the mega million level.

They must have a foundation.

Just running my mouth :)

http://www.minnpost.com/dc-dispatches/2 ... m-and-150m

Nolan opponent Stewart Mills' stake in Fleet Farm: Between $41M and $150M

Share on print
Share on email
By Devin Henry | 08/29/13

Correction: An earlier version of this story erroneously said Stewart Mills' financial disclosure form reflected the value of Fleet Farm as a whole; his filing reflected only his share of the company. The article has been corrected.

Republican 8th District congressional candidate Stewart Mills' portion of his family's Fleet Farm business is worth between $41 million and $150 million, earning between $4 million and $12 million last year, according to a personal financial disclosure form filed by Mills last week [PDF].

Stewart Mills and his siblings are the third generation of Mills to operate the Fleet Farm retail chain, which was founded by Mills’ grandfather. The Fleet Farm chain and several businesses associated with it are listed as assets on the financial disclosure form required for all congressional candidates, which Mills filed with the U.S. House Clerk on August 20.

The financial disclosure forms give candidates a very broad range for listing the value of their assets, thus the wide difference between the minimum and maximum value of Mills' stake in the company.

Mills himself earned just less than $570,000 in salary from Fleet Farm last year, according to the filing. He’s considered an executive, administrator or trustee for many individual Fleet Farm stores and the various operations associated with the chain, and lists liabilities between $7 million and $35 million, all tied up in the company.

Fleet Farm opened in 1955 and operates 32 retail locations in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa and North Dakota, carrying a range of products, from outdoor gear to home improvement supplies and equipment.

“Stewart is an entrepreneur helping to lead a 90 year-old business headquartered in Brainerd that has been in his family for three generations,” Mills campaign coordinator Isaac Schultz said in a statement. “His aggressive reinvestment in his family's businesses has created thousands of full and part time jobs right here in Minnesota. Stewart’s experience in the private sector is the reason he’s running for Congress.”

Mills announced his challenge to Democratic Rep. Rick Nolan in June. On his annual financial disclosure form [PDF] filed in May, Nolan listed a net worth between about $700,000 and $1.5 million, tied up in investment funds, a house in Nisswa, Minn., a condo in Florida and a sawmill and palette manufacturing company. He earned between $27,700 and $86,600 off those assets, mostly in interest and rent payments, and listed $36,879 in income from a state of Minnesota pension and a real estate and consulting firm.
gunsmith

Postby Jackpine Savage on Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:58 pm

Rob, please don't take my post as being critical. I appreciate all the work you guys do, you saved our bacon last year. I understand how difficult it is to travel outstate with all the other stuff that has to get done. I'll make some calls.
Jackpine Savage

Postby RobD on Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:04 pm

Jackpine Savage wrote:Rob, please don't take my post as being critical. I appreciate all the work you guys do, you saved our bacon last year. I understand how difficult it is to travel outstate with all the other stuff that has to get done. I'll make some calls.

Not at all!

Was just showing that we're doing our best to get out there.

Thanks for trying to build some bridges.
Political Director - MN Gun Owners Caucus/PAC
NRA Instructor (BP, PPITH, PPOTH, Reloading, RSO)
Certified Glock Armorer - Permit to Carry Instructor - Aegis Outdoors
RobD

Postby bstrawse on Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:05 pm

gunsmith wrote:How about 'Wealthy Donors'

You KNOW the left has this down, with grants to do all sorts of things.

The PAC recently hired a professional fundraiser - and this is right at the top of her list. We expect to have enough in the warchest to be a significant force in the state politically for the November 2014 elections.

But don't discount the value of small donations (i.e. under $1k) - even $5 is $5 that we didn't have yesterday - and can go along way.

if you look at Stewart Mills' fundraising for Congress, the vast majority is small dollar donors - and that's sign of a strong base of donors that will continue to give in the future.

Bryan
PAC Treasurer
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby bstrawse on Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:09 pm

Also, the PAC's donation link is http://mngopac.org/donate

:)
B
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Next

Return to Politics