Long Term Strategies: Winning the gun rights war

Firearms related political discussion forum

Re: Long Term Strategies: Winning the gun rights war

Postby Grayskies on Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:00 am

bstrawse wrote:
Grayskies wrote:I kind of hate the game analogies some, I think some people treat this as a game... Peoples lives and freedom can depend on the outcome of these "games".

I am probably over reacting... Sorry.

I can assure you that I don't treat any of this as a game.
b

I have been a member of these forums from way back to the yahoo group, the people here I have no doubt in. You can see it in the frustration with goverments posting in violation of the law (for example). We may argue a point in law or carry stratagy but in the end we are true believers, It is what will drives us to be at the capitol this January freezing our triggers off.

I think the politicians can see that in us, which makes us effective and a force to be reckoned with. I do think for some at the capitol this can all be a game, more about job retention, appeasement and power than a belief that what they do is right. I would wager there are some there that would sell their children for an oppointment to chair a specific committee.

Not pointing fingers, just saying... I hate game analogies for this because it means so very much to me. Sorry
NRA Life Member & Certified Range Safety Officer
Honorably Discharged U.S. Army Veteran
General Class Amateur Radio Operator and ARRL VE and SkyWarn
Amateur Radio Emergency Service® (ARES)

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

Postby 2in2out on Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:23 pm

I'm sure I'll get royally flamed for saying this, but I think there's a history lesson that may be useful to this discussion (or maybe not), so here goes:

The drive to Prohibition took decades and resulted in a Constitutional amendment. It was no sooner enforced in some areas as it was ignored and readily violated in others. That one amendment created criminals out of tax-paying law-abiding citizens and drove legitimate businesses and employers out of business. At the same time, it provided the necessary economic incentive for new, illegal and destructive enterprises. I'm sure it wasn't long before people realized what a mistake the 18th Amendment had been, and it took a relatively short period of time (compared to how long it took to pass it) in order to repeal it.

I know that's not the same thing - the purchase and consumption of alcoholic beverages is a privilege not a right. However, I think there are lessons in the adoption and repeal of Prohibition that should give us an idea of how things may work if the anti-crowd has their way.

In the decades leading up to Prohibition, people thought they could win over the country's sentiment and abolish the evil in society. They failed miserably. It took a very long time for their propaganda to get anywhere. It took a relatively short time for Americans to realize it was a mistake to listen to them.

In my opinion, history is on our side, as long as we're vigilant and protect our Constitutional rights. This is not something we win or lose, but something we earn every day.
"...the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..." ---Frederick Douglass
2in2out

Postby Grayskies on Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:30 pm

As I remember, prohibition was the birth of the gangs, and their war vs themselves and the cops is what spurred the restrictions on machine guns among other restrictions.

It is an example that banning a thing that people want badly enough will cause the creation of a black market were those willing to commit crimes are paided well.

If bans truely worked iran would not have uranium enrichment centrifuges, there would be no illegal aliens in the US, and Yogi the bear would not have that picinic basket!

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

Postby Lumpy on Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:52 pm

And with the advancing quality of 3D printing the Prohibition analogy goes further, because once anyone can turn out guns from their basement it'll be like banning bathtub gin! ;)
Lumpy

Postby Grayskies on Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:54 pm

Just wait 3D printer Control :lol:

If I know young male nerds, they'll be printing boobs instead...

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

Postby Randygmn on Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:37 pm

Personally, I think, that before prohibition on firearms would become law, we'd see some very serious unpleasantries, nationwide. Its a line in the sand, IMO, for people who who today don't even realize we are even at the beach yet. I am heartened to always be reminded that there's approximately 300 million firearms and perhaps 10 billion rounds of ammo currently in the hands of free Americans. Most citizens aren't politically active, unless history making legislation comes up. Obamacare stirred the tea party activism, which gave the GOP the house in 2010, which essentially ended Obama's presidency. All this to say that, we are the 2nd Amendement advocates. It's up to us to perform over watch, not for the full frontal assault, but the daily infringements that the anti's reach for each and every day.
Randygmn

Postby JustinPo on Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:52 am

Grayskies wrote:Just wait 3D printer Control :lol:

If I know young male nerds, they'll be printing boobs instead...

That was just a test run I swear! I just needed to see if it could handle complex 3D curvature :mrgreen:
JustinPo

Previous

Return to Politics