MN Suppressors

Firearms related political discussion forum

Re: MN Suppressors

Postby Grayskies on Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:29 pm

MJY65 wrote:
Grayskies wrote:I kimd of think this would be a hard sell to the movie watching public, I can just imagine the news coverage. :(

I'm sure the residents of the 39 states where they are legal watch movies too. While I'd love to be able to pin this all on the DNR, Dayton, Franken and Klobuchar, I think the bigger problem we are facing in this state is the hopelessly liberal voters that put them there.

True, MN is a very blue state, and the news media is bluer. I don't really think this will get a positive or even neutral hearing with the public especially in the metro. Heather would explode...
NRA Life Member & Certified Range Safety Officer
Honorably Discharged U.S. Army Veteran
General Class Amateur Radio Operator and ARRL VE and SkyWarn
Amateur Radio Emergency Service® (ARES)

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

Postby Hmac on Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:30 pm

20mm wrote:
Hmac wrote:You were talking about US Senators? We're talking about a state law, not Federal. Those two would carry no more weight on the Minnesota suppressor issue than they did on the previous "common sense gun law" attempts in Minnesota.

Look how much effort it took to try to shut that down, even without the grass roots support. You're fooling yourself if you don't think they carry weight on the issue.

Not sure which of the two of us is fooling themselves, but I think it's you.

I do think think that a state voting in in someone like Al Franken and re-electing them is indicative of a general voter mindset that wouldn't be particularly conducive to something like legalizing suppressors, but Franken has negliglible influence in that regard. Especially compared to the influence of the commisioner of the DNR or the head of the Public Safety commission. They're opposition is what's keeping this out of the legislative process, not Franken or Klobuchar.
Last edited by Hmac on Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hmac

Postby Grayskies on Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:33 pm

xd ED wrote:I think most MN residents would be very surprised when that saw the map; probably many in the DNR, as well.

I am surprised! :shock: Truly!

Well I am sure this is to protect the endangered white tail deer from poaching!

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

Postby MJY65 on Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:19 pm

Grayskies wrote:Well I am sure this is to protect the endangered white tail deer from poaching!

The DNR could probably actually use that one now that they've "managed" them down to the lowest number in decades all while the wolf population expands.
MJY65

Postby Grayskies on Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:37 pm

MJY65 wrote:
Grayskies wrote:Well I am sure this is to protect the endangered white tail deer from poaching!

The DNR could probably actually use that one now that they've "managed" them down to the lowest number in decades all while the wolf population expands.

DNR please explain this to all the deer we have to dodge up here! Well I guess I am glad deer arn't carnivores!

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

Postby 2in2out on Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:20 pm

Grayskies wrote:Heather would explode...

Kind of like the drummers in Spinal Tap? :lol:
"...the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..." ---Frederick Douglass
2in2out

Postby bstrawse on Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:46 pm

20mm wrote:
bstrawse wrote:
cgk wrote:New to MN, so can you tell me the prospects for suppressors becoming legal in this state?

MN is an outlier among the states on this topic which is clearly a matter of hearing protection.

I believe we'll see legislation introduced in the 2015 session to legalize suppressors. I imagine we're in for a multi-session uphill battle to make this law, however.

b

I believe you've jumped off the deep end and forgot who the senators of Minnesota are. I hope it doesn't hurt too much diving into a pool without water. Just don't ask for sponsorship.

I'm pretty sure I have a good handle on the political situation between the MN House & Senate when it comes to gun rights issues, but I'd love to have you educate me on what it is you think I am missing here...

B
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

MN Suppressors

Postby jshuberg on Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:49 pm

Remember that GOCRA was able to get Stand Your Ground passed by the legislature and sent to Dayton. He did veto it, but it demonstrates how much influence they had that it actually got that far.

Suppressors in my mind should be a no-brainer. They are a valuable piece of safety equipment to prevent permanent injury for both hunters, and those that are forced to defend themselves while indoors.

If we all stand up, and let our voices be heard I believe we collectively can make extremely good progress on gaining mindshare in the legislature, if not actually getting something passed. It's all about timing, wording, and volume of support. It's also the right thing to do.
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Personal Protection In The Home Instructor
NRA Life Member
MCPPA Certified Instructor
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Postby MaryB on Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:43 pm

With that many states supporting it I think this could be a win in the court system and bypass the legislature... same for full auto
MaryB

Postby Hmac on Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:56 pm

MaryB wrote:With that many states supporting it I think this could be a win in the court system and bypass the legislature... same for full auto

Huh? Bypass the legislature? And what does the court system have to do with it?
Hmac

Postby Chunkychuck on Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:22 am

MaryB wrote:With that many states supporting it I think this could be a win in the court system and bypass the legislature... same for full auto

It would have to be someone with deep pockets and a willingness to lose that fight for either issue. The suppressor issue might be doable but the fight would have to be from a personal health and safety issue rather than 2A I believe to have a chance at winning.
Chunkychuck

Postby Chunkychuck on Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:31 am

Hmac wrote:Huh? Bypass the legislature? And what does the court system have to do with it?

In the courts is where you fight issues that legislatures, city councils, etc. pass and won't budge on them. If it weren't for the courts we wouldn't have Heller or McDonald. Or the ongoing case in CA where the San Diego sheriff will most likely have to start issuing "shall issue permits" instead of his past "may issue permits. Full disclosure requires the notification that my pockets aren't deep so I will have to wait for the legislature.
Chunkychuck

MN Suppressors

Postby BBeckwith on Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:37 am

Chunkychuck wrote:
Hmac wrote:Huh? Bypass the legislature? And what does the court system have to do with it?

my pockets aren't deep so I will have to wait for the legislature.

Ding, Ding, Ding... We have a winner.

Who wants to volunteer to get on the court docket and has the cash to fight the battle that will probably take 3+ years for working it's way up the courts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
The IQ of a mob is the IQ of its dumbest member, divided by the number of people in it.
BBeckwith

Postby Grayskies on Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:15 am

I think there is something fundamentally wrong when you have to be rich to be able to sue the government to overturn an unconstitutional law. Righs should be for all not just for those that can afford them.

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

MN Suppressors

Postby jshuberg on Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:38 am

The courts can't solve the suppressor problem. We need to change the law that bans them. The law is morally wrong, but it is not illegal. If challenged the courts would rule that the suppressor law stands.
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Personal Protection In The Home Instructor
NRA Life Member
MCPPA Certified Instructor
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

PreviousNext

Return to Politics