Unsigned letter about GOCRA?

Firearms related political discussion forum

Postby xd ED on Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:26 am

Randygmn wrote:
xd ED wrote:The following excerpt is from the most recent (1hr) post on the Twin Cities Gun Owners & Carry Forum Facebook page:

NOTICE:
We’ve been made aware that someone has been sending emails and messages to a number of people in the 2A community and pretending that the emails and messages have come from our organization (the IP address has been masked).
We have sent no such emails or messages. We believe that the messages are originating from an anti-gun opponent or source.
If you’ve received an email you’ll want to take steps to find out if your identity has been compromised and take steps to secure your personal safety and that of your family, as well as your valuables and firearms.
In researching this situation, we have learned that another local gun rights group (the “maroon t-shirt” group), has seriously compromised the personal information of thousands of its donors through a data security flaw (ongoing to date), and that the data has likely been discovered and exploited by the person/s sending the emails. All indications lead us to believe that it’s likely someone in the anti-gun community. If you received one of the above stated emails, it’s likely that your information is part of the security breach and is now in the hands of one or more anti-gun operatives, as well as possibly others who may wish to cause harm. . . ..

The full post can be read at the above linked site.

ETA@ 1105:

I just revisited the above site to copy the rest of the post for personal keeping, and it has since disappeared...

Nope, still there

Is there a specific link to the post?
I honestly can't find it again.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Re: Unsigned letter about GOCRA?

Postby Citiot on Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:39 am

I removed my original post. It was too emotional. I'm sure the facts will come out soon.
Last edited by Citiot on Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Citiot

Postby xd ED on Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:56 am

Randygmn wrote:
xd ED wrote:The following excerpt is from the most recent (1hr) post on the Twin Cities Gun Owners & Carry Forum Facebook page:

NOTICE:
We’ve been made aware that someone has been sending emails and messages to a number of people in the 2A community and pretending that the emails and messages have come from our organization (the IP address has been masked).
We have sent no such emails or messages. We believe that the messages are originating from an anti-gun opponent or source.
If you’ve received an email you’ll want to take steps to find out if your identity has been compromised and take steps to secure your personal safety and that of your family, as well as your valuables and firearms.
In researching this situation, we have learned that another local gun rights group (the “maroon t-shirt” group), has seriously compromised the personal information of thousands of its donors through a data security flaw (ongoing to date), and that the data has likely been discovered and exploited by the person/s sending the emails. All indications lead us to believe that it’s likely someone in the anti-gun community. If you received one of the above stated emails, it’s likely that your information is part of the security breach and is now in the hands of one or more anti-gun operatives, as well as possibly others who may wish to cause harm. . . ..

The full post can be read at the above linked site.

ETA@ 1105:

I just revisited the above site to copy the rest of the post for personal keeping, and it has since disappeared...

Nope, still there

Actually it's is not still there. Read it carefully. Given the current timestamp reading 37 minutes, and the rewording, it appears the original was pulled down, edited and reposted.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby 45xdacp on Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:56 pm

So am I to believe GOCRA's site was hacked and our donor info was leaked there , or is this just someone trying to make us think donating to them is not safe ?
45xdacp

Postby xd ED on Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:21 pm

Given the high number of GOCRA donors, and the few who received warnings, and zero reports of loss I am aware of, I will continue to support GOCRA without concern
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby cobb on Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:33 pm

GOCRA is sending out an e-mail explaining what happened, I just got it a few minutes ago.
“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result”. - Winston Churchill

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING
MN. DPS/BCA approved training organization.

http://www.RiverValleyTraining.com
cobb

Postby Andrew Rothman on Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:36 pm

The short version:
Hackers illegally accessed some GOCRA donor name and address records. There's no financial risk, and we're locking things down even tighter. If your data may have been accessed, we've already sent you an email.

The long version is below:

It doesn't matter whether you're Target Corporation, a small civil rights nonprofit, or the U.S. government -- someone will always try to hack your data.

And when it's anti-gunners, with no facts, logic or law on their side, you know that they'll turn to cheating.

Today, I'm sorry to say, we learned that some person or persons may have accessed and downloaded some information about a small number of our supporters. As soon as we learned of the unauthorized access, we took steps to block further access and ensure that the data couldn't be further accessed.

That access was a crime, and we have already involved law enforcement in the investigation to pursue criminal charges against the data thieves. Based on what we know today, we are confident that the responsible parties will soon experience the criminal justice system firsthand.

No financial data was stolen. Because we use third party payment processing, no credit card or banking data was exposed. The data stolen was limited to the name, postal address (if provided), and email of some of our donors over the last 20 months.

We're very disappointed that this breach occurred, and we're going to do everything we can to ensure that it doesn't happen again. In addition to immediately securing the data, we've brought on anindependent data security expert to completely audit and secure our data systems.

We appreciate your continued support and loyalty, and we thank you for your trust in the past, and moving forward. We're not going to let critics, code crackers or crazies stop us.

Thanks,

Andrew
Andrew Rothman

Postby Citiot on Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:35 pm

Fear mongering on TC Gun Owners Face Book:

"...UPDATE: We believe we know who is behind the "anonymous" letters and emails, and THIS PERSON HAS PROVEN IN THE PAST TO BE SERIOUSLY DISTURBED. PLEASE TAKE ALL PRECAUTIONS TO PROTECT YOUR IDENTITY AND SECURITY IF YOU THINK YOUR INFORMATION HAS BEEN COMPROMISED IN THE DATA BREACH...."
Citiot

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:44 pm

Citiot wrote:Fear mongering on TC Gun Owners Face Book:

"...UPDATE: We believe we know who is behind the "anonymous" letters and emails, and THIS PERSON HAS PROVEN IN THE PAST TO BE SERIOUSLY DISTURBED. PLEASE TAKE ALL PRECAUTIONS TO PROTECT YOUR IDENTITY AND SECURITY IF YOU THINK YOUR INFORMATION HAS BEEN COMPROMISED IN THE DATA BREACH...."

I thought he was dead?
Holland&Holland

Postby xd ED on Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:01 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:
Citiot wrote:Fear mongering on TC Gun Owners Face Book:

I thought he was dead?

You can get internet access anywhere these days.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Citiot on Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:38 pm

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ +1
Citiot

Postby MN-RKBA on Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:39 pm

This is information that GOCRA allowed to be publicly viewable due to their unsecured website. It was just more harassment directed at me and I wanted nothing to do with it. Why don't you aim your anger where it belongs, on the people who allowed the information to be compromised.
MN-RKBA

Postby Citiot on Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:41 pm

Just because a door doesn't have a lock on it, it doesn't mean you are free to enter.

This is just simple morals.

Edit added: GOCRA.ORG has this on its website: "All content © 2014 GOCRA"

OH, OH! Trouble!!!!!
Citiot

Postby xd ED on Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:56 pm

MN-RKBA wrote:This is information that GOCRA allowed to be publicly viewable due to their unsecured website. It was just more harassment directed at me and I wanted nothing to do with it. Why don't you aim your anger where it belongs, on the people who allowed the information to be compromised.

So you see your neighbor's front door open; you sit back and watch the burglar walk in and steal everything?

Minimally your post is a violation of this forum's policy to post private information about other forum members; hopefully you'll soon be banned.

It appears there's no level to which you won't stoop to harass Andrew, and GOCRA
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby 2in2out on Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:20 pm

MN-RKBA wrote:This is information that GOCRA allowed to be publicly viewable due to their unsecured website. It was just more harassment directed at me and I wanted nothing to do with it. Why don't you aim your anger where it belongs, on the people who allowed the information to be compromised.

What about accomplices (such as those who knew, but did nothing about it)?

Almost everyone is under constant threat of identity theft. Every single piece of my life is on computer storage somehow connected to the internet - information that's a hair's-breadth away from being stolen and used against me at any moment. So, go ahead and tell me again how this new breach puts me in Double Secret Danger that wasn't there before.

Edit: I removed some things that didn't help the discussion.
"...the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..." ---Frederick Douglass
2in2out

PreviousNext

Return to Politics