Constitutional Carry and Self Defense Law Reform to be heard

Firearms related political discussion forum

Re: Constitutional Carry and Self Defense Law Reform to be heard

Postby Citiot on Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:22 pm

bstrawse wrote:
Be sure and e-mail Speaker Daudt, Rep. Cornish, and your Rep and Senator, and let them know you used to vote DFL and voted Republican for 2A issues (and more!) and you feel betrayed, etc..

They need to hear that.
b

I did exactly that.
Citiot

Postby bstrawse on Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:45 pm

Citiot wrote:
bstrawse wrote:
Be sure and e-mail Speaker Daudt, Rep. Cornish, and your Rep and Senator, and let them know you used to vote DFL and voted Republican for 2A issues (and more!) and you feel betrayed, etc..

They need to hear that.
b

I did exactly that.

Most excellent. Thank you!
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby Tanfoglio on Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:32 pm

CC scrapped, SYG moved out of committee as a standalone bill.

Senate can't hear it, because it did not receive a hearing prior to the deadline for first reading.

Bills are dead for 2017 Legislature.

Daudt, Limmer, Gazelka- i.e. the Republican leadership, screwed gun owners, who voted for them.

With Walz entering the Gubernatorial race things will get interesting. Walz has been squishy on "assault rifle" restrictions, but Daudt has shown he does not have our backs either.

I gotta get out of this place! :evil:

Waiting for Ghost, yukon, and MY65 (the Republican ball washers) to come along and justify their parties inaction.
Tanfoglio

Postby MJY65 on Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:42 pm

Tanfoglio wrote:Waiting for Ghost, yukon, and MY65 (the Republican ball washers) to come along and justify their parties inaction.

I have no plans to justify anything. All politicians make promises they don't intend to keep. Democrats generally stink worse than Republicans on issues I care about, so I have no plans to "punish" the Rs by giving control back to the Ds.
MJY65

Constitutional Carry and Self Defense Law Reform to be heard

Postby dismal on Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:33 pm

Tanfoglio wrote:
With Walz entering the Gubernatorial race things will get interesting. Walz has been squishy on "assault rifle" restrictions, but Daudt has shown he does not have our backs either.

I'm *not* voting for him, but for a dem Walz would likely be a lot more agreeable than Dayton has been.
dismal

Postby Ghost on Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:58 pm

Tanfoglio wrote:CC scrapped, SYG moved out of committee as a standalone bill.

Senate can't hear it, because it did not receive a hearing prior to the deadline for first reading.

Daudt, Limmer, Gazelka- i.e. the Republican leadership, screwed gun owners, who voted for them.

Waiting for Ghost, yukon, and MY65 (the Republican ball washers) to come along and justify their parties inaction.

Dems haven't exactly been all that kind in recent years. The new version of democrat isn't going to make anything any better. Republicans will be less evil.

Enjoy your move.
Ghost

Postby Randygmn on Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:27 pm

I haven't voted FOR a republican in over 2 decades. I do vote straight ticket, AGAINST democrats, in every single election, though. And will until the day I die.
Randygmn

Postby yukonjasper on Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:36 pm

I do enjoy the naive notion that everything you ever want can happen in the blink of an eye. Just because you want something it need to happen right effen now. The instant gratification plague in this country is to blame for a lot of the snowflake culture and the the hot headed single issue conservatives. All the shouting about failure doesn't take into account any long term thinking. In this case I don't think long-term means more than 6 months. All or nothing now. Good luck with that.

It's an immature view.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby bstrawse on Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:50 am

CC is dead for this year most likely.

SYG is very much alive - there will be a vote in the House this session, but we need to keep up the pressure.
b
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby bstrawse on Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:51 am

MJY65 wrote:
Tanfoglio wrote:Waiting for Ghost, yukon, and MY65 (the Republican ball washers) to come along and justify their parties inaction.

I have no plans to justify anything. All politicians make promises they don't intend to keep. Democrats generally stink worse than Republicans on issues I care about, so I have no plans to "punish" the Rs by giving control back to the Ds.

Republicans can be beat in endorsement challenges and during primaries -- you do not have to give control to the DFL in order to win and hold someone accountable.
bstrawse

Postby bstrawse on Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:52 am

yukonjasper wrote:I do enjoy the naive notion that everything you ever want can happen in the blink of an eye. Just because you want something it need to happen right effen now. The instant gratification plague in this country is to blame for a lot of the snowflake culture and the the hot headed single issue conservatives. All the shouting about failure doesn't take into account any long term thinking. In this case I don't think long-term means more than 6 months. All or nothing now. Good luck with that.

It's an immature view.

Concur.

I think gun rights in a state like Minnesota is a long chess game sometimes.

We did not get a carry law until a concerted effort was made over a decade -- I believe that Constitutional Carry will be similar.

b
bstrawse

Postby MJY65 on Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:54 am

bstrawse wrote:Republicans can be beat in endorsement challenges and during primaries -- you do not have to give control to the DFL in order to win and hold someone accountable.

I like that idea as long as the challenger has serious credentials to win in November. Too often (not necessarily on 2a) the candidate who is presented as perfect on one issue is otherwise a goofball that has absolutely no chance whatsoever.
MJY65

Postby yukonjasper on Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:54 am

As has been mentioned before, I think we lose credibility if we make this a partisan issue - our best bet is to leave the issue as stand alone and common sense. Plenty of rural Dems are pro gun but if we make it a Republican Dem issue, they may shrink from it so as not to break ranks with the Dem power structure. De-politicizing the issue and keeping it firmly in the public safety arena will likely have the best results.

Granted, you'll find more Republicans who support the issues across the board, just by nature of the Conservative viewpoint, however, Democrats aren't all the same just as we have seen Republicans are not all the same.

Patience and strategy wins out over strong arm tactical approaches. If we can learn anything from Sol Alinsky and the Liberal Playbook, we should be approaching this with an incrementalist attitude. Its good to be passionate but its better to be passionate and smart.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Previous

Return to Politics