Get off my side, Kory

Firearms related political discussion forum

Get off my side, Kory

Postby BigBlue on Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:55 am

I haven't been to Frontiersman for a while but have purchased there in the past. After reading this article from KARE11 I don't believe I'll be going back there. If this is how their owner or employee represents the gun industry it is really sad. They interviewed Kory Krause, "an established gun seller Frontiersman Sports". Now it is possible this article was written in a biased way or by omitting some other quotes that would have made this not sound quite as awful, but this is a TV news station so likely this was a direct transcript from an on-camera interview.

VERIFY: What does it take to buy guns in Minnesota?

Couple of excerpts:

Q: Will you need to pass a background check?

Kory: "Yes. Every purchase here you have to pass a federal background check." That usually means the FBI background check, which probes criminal history, warrants, and protection orders. Krauss admits they don't always catch everything. "They're not linked up well enough, and they do need to get into mental health records."

: Do the restrictions above apply to person-to-person gun sales?

A: Minnesota doesn't require background checks or permits with private sales, like those at gun shows. A buyer who is 18 can purchase a handgun or assault-style rifle at a gun show or in a personal transaction, and a 14-year-old can buy any other kind of rifle or shotgun 'without' the permission of a parent.

Really?? Get off my side!
BigBlue

Re: Get off my side, Kory

Postby MJY65 on Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:20 am

If you watch the video, much of the information was being given by the reporter, not the salesman. It didn't sound nearly as bad and seemed to be factually accurate.
MJY65

Postby BigBlue on Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:30 am

MJY65 wrote:If you watch the video, much of the information was being given by the reporter, not the salesman. It didn't sound nearly as bad and seemed to be factually accurate.

I'll have to do that later. Could only read the text now.
BigBlue

Postby westhope on Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:43 am

a 14-year-old can buy any other kind of rifle or shotgun 'without' the permission of a parent.

Can anyone cite a statue that pertains to this?
Because I care, I carry.
westhope

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:59 am

westhope wrote:
a 14-year-old can buy any other kind of rifle or shotgun 'without' the permission of a parent.

Can anyone cite a statue that pertains to this?

Probably not as it is not disallowed I believe.
Holland&Holland

Postby Squib Joe on Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:01 pm

609.66 DANGEROUS WEAPONS.

Subdivision 1.Misdemeanor and gross misdemeanor crimes. (a) Whoever does any of the following is guilty of a crime and may be sentenced as provided in paragraph (b):
(1) recklessly handles or uses a gun or other dangerous weapon or explosive so as to endanger the safety of another; or

(2) intentionally points a gun of any kind, capable of injuring or killing a human being and whether loaded or unloaded, at or toward another; or

(3) manufactures or sells for any unlawful purpose any weapon known as a slungshot or sand club; or

(4) manufactures, transfers, or possesses metal knuckles or a switch blade knife opening automatically; or

(5) possesses any other dangerous article or substance for the purpose of being used unlawfully as a weapon against another; or

(6) outside of a municipality and without the parent's or guardian's consent, furnishes a child under 14 years of age, or as a parent or guardian permits the child to handle or use, outside of the parent's or guardian's presence, a firearm or airgun of any kind, or any ammunition or explosive.

Possession of written evidence of prior consent signed by the minor's parent or guardian is a complete defense to a charge under clause (6).

I would really wonder who would sell a firearm to a 14-year old without letting their parents know, but they might have a defense as long as it doesn't happen within a municipality

Within a municipality they have this:

Subd. 1b.Felony; furnishing to minors. Whoever, in any municipality of this state, furnishes a minor under 18 years of age with a firearm, airgun, ammunition, or explosive without the prior consent of the minor's parent or guardian or of the police department of the municipality is guilty of a felony and may be sentenced to imprisonment for not more than ten years or to payment of a fine of not more than $20,000, or both. Possession of written evidence of prior consent signed by the minor's parent or guardian is a complete defense to a charge under this subdivision.
"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Postby BigBlue on Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:21 pm

Wonder what relevance 'municipality' had to the forming of those laws originally? Something to with with country kids being responsible enough to use a gun for hunting but city kids not 'needing' one?

Here's a bit more on the minor topic:

http://www.house.leg.state.mn.us/hrd/pubs/ss/ssminfr.pdf
BigBlue

Postby Erud on Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:12 pm

I didn't hear anything offensive in what he said in the interview. Most of the stuff in your 2 excerpt was said by the reporter, not Krauss.
Erud

Postby rtk on Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:37 pm

Virtually everything is spun by the media in this day and age.
The sky is falling, the sky is falling....(Chicken Little)
rtk

Postby MJY65 on Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:58 pm

rtk wrote:Virtually everything is spun by the media in this day and age.

That's true, but I don't think this particular report was inaccurate.
MJY65

Postby BigBlue on Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:20 pm

Erud wrote:I didn't hear anything offensive in what he said in the interview. Most of the stuff in your 2 excerpt was said by the reporter, not Krauss.

Haven't been able to watch the video yet. Based on what you say that writing is just blatantly misleading.
BigBlue

Postby crbutler on Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:23 pm

Squib Joe wrote:
609.66 DANGEROUS WEAPONS.

Subdivision 1.Misdemeanor and gross misdemeanor crimes. (a) Whoever does any of the following is guilty of a crime and may be sentenced as provided in paragraph (b):
(1) recklessly handles or uses a gun or other dangerous weapon or explosive so as to endanger the safety of another; or

(2) intentionally points a gun of any kind, capable of injuring or killing a human being and whether loaded or unloaded, at or toward another; or

(3) manufactures or sells for any unlawful purpose any weapon known as a slungshot or sand club; or

(4) manufactures, transfers, or possesses metal knuckles or a switch blade knife opening automatically; or

(5) possesses any other dangerous article or substance for the purpose of being used unlawfully as a weapon against another; or

(6) outside of a municipality and without the parent's or guardian's consent, furnishes a child under 14 years of age, or as a parent or guardian permits the child to handle or use, outside of the parent's or guardian's presence, a firearm or airgun of any kind, or any ammunition or explosive.

Possession of written evidence of prior consent signed by the minor's parent or guardian is a complete defense to a charge under clause (6).

I would really wonder who would sell a firearm to a 14-year old without letting their parents know, but they might have a defense as long as it doesn't happen within a municipality

Within a municipality they have this:

Subd. 1b.Felony; furnishing to minors. Whoever, in any municipality of this state, furnishes a minor under 18 years of age with a firearm, airgun, ammunition, or explosive without the prior consent of the minor's parent or guardian or of the police department of the municipality is guilty of a felony and may be sentenced to imprisonment for not more than ten years or to payment of a fine of not more than $20,000, or both. Possession of written evidence of prior consent signed by the minor's parent or guardian is a complete defense to a charge under this subdivision.

The reason is outside a municipality there is the possibility that the child is representing that he has a firearms safety card and is hunting.

In essence, giving a 13 year old a hunting rifle and setting him in a stand by himself is a misdemeanor. You are to personally supervise with parental permission anyone under 14 hunting. Its a felony to give any minor a gun in town without permission. So, you had better be careful on who you loan a gun to for hunting or target shooting.

This has nothing to do with selling...

How they tagged airguns under the same law, I don't know.
crbutler

Postby Erud on Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:35 pm

BigBlue wrote:
Erud wrote:I didn't hear anything offensive in what he said in the interview. Most of the stuff in your 2 excerpt was said by the reporter, not Krauss.

Haven't been able to watch the video yet. Based on what you say that writing is just blatantly misleading.

Dude, it’s like two and a half minutes long, and you’re the guy who posted the link. You should probably watch it.
Erud

Postby BigBlue on Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:53 pm

Erud wrote:
BigBlue wrote:

Dude, it’s like two and a half minutes long, and you’re the guy who posted the link. You should probably watch it.

Couldn't watch video while at work. I read the article and based my info off of that. Usually Kare11 articles are an exact transcript of the video.
BigBlue

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:00 pm

Incidentally the star Tribune article posted here a few weeks ago was in alignment with this as well and also noted the lack of age for a long gun sale. That was reported by mnemonic gun owners caucus as one they were consulted on and felt was accurate so, ya might want to lay off kory a bit.

Just saying
Holland&Holland

Next

Return to Politics