Any real school safety bills?

Firearms related political discussion forum

Re: Any real school safety bills?

Postby bstrawse on Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:32 am

The School Safety bills, as predicted, have been combined into a school safety omnibus bill that has bi-partisan support. Included in this bill are grants to schools for physical security assessments, physical security improvements, changes to planning and drills for active shooter and other situations, requirements to establish a Threat Assessment Team at each school, the ability for schools to tap into certain reserve funds to pay for physical security improvements, and $50 million + in funding for other security improvements.

It's a pretty comprehensive bill that we anticipate will pass both houses and be signed by Governor Dayton.

The anti-gun crowd in the DFL has been attempting to amend gun control onto these bills - to date, they have failed.
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:57 am

bstrawse wrote:The School Safety bills, as predicted, have been combined into a school safety omnibus bill that has bi-partisan support. Included in this bill are grants to schools for physical security assessments, physical security improvements, changes to planning and drills for active shooter and other situations, requirements to establish a Threat Assessment Team at each school, the ability for schools to tap into certain reserve funds to pay for physical security improvements, and $50 million + in funding for other security improvements.

It's a pretty comprehensive bill that we anticipate will pass both houses and be signed by Governor Dayton.

The anti-gun crowd in the DFL has been attempting to amend gun control onto these bills - to date, they have failed.

Good work. Keep it up.
Holland&Holland

Any real school safety bills?

Postby INOR on Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:36 am

I like all of that which I think are good incremental steps. But I want guns in the schools in the hands of people qualified to use them. I don’t care if it’s more funds for dedicated officers or just allowing qualified teachers to carry if they so choose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
INOR

Postby bstrawse on Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:15 am

INOR wrote:I like all of that which I think are good incremental steps. But I want guns in the schools in the hands of people qualified to use them. I don’t care if it’s more funds for dedicated officers or just allowing qualified teachers to carry if they so choose.

The $50m and others can be used for school resource officers.

It's perfectly level today to carry in a K-12 school if you have a permit to carry and written permission from principal or superintendent.

Staff/Teacher carry forced w/o permission from the district was introduced by Rep. Lucero, has several sponsors, but was never called for a hearing.
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby Ghost on Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:30 am

bstrawse wrote:
INOR wrote:I like all of that which I think are good incremental steps. But I want guns in the schools in the hands of people qualified to use them. I don’t care if it’s more funds for dedicated officers or just allowing qualified teachers to carry if they so choose.

It's perfectly level today to carry in a K-12 school if you have a permit to carry and written permission from principal or superintendent.

Staff/Teacher carry forced w/o permission from the district was introduced by Rep. Lucero, has several sponsors, but was never called for a hearing.

Level = legal
Ghost

Postby jdege on Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:38 am

jdege

Postby bstrawse on Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:51 am

Ghost wrote:
bstrawse wrote:

Level = legal

That too!
bstrawse

Previous

Return to Politics