Minnesota Gun Control Hearings Friday Feb 3rd

Firearms related political discussion forum

Re: Minnesota Gun Control Hearings Friday Feb 3rd

Postby bstrawse on Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:19 pm

daleamn wrote:Are there ANY Democrats against these new laws?
(Maybe I should also ask are there any Republicans FOR these new laws?)

P.S. I did see some of this on the news and I'd like to thank MN Gun Caucus for their efforts, especially for Rev. Tim Christopher to the podium.

No GOP will support these laws from our current counts.

There are DFL that will oppose - and we're working on others. There are going to be some folks we need to apply pressure to, especially in the Senate.
b
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby westhope on Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:56 am

HF 396:

Subdivision 1. Storage. The owner of a firearm must take reasonable action to secure​
1.10 the firearm when it is not carried or under the control of the owner or an authorized user.​
1.11 For this purpose, reasonable action requires a firearm to be stored unloaded with a locking​
1.12 device and separately from its ammunition.

2.18 (e) "Locking device" means a feature of a firearm or an external device that renders the​
2.19 firearm inaccessible or inoperable, or both, to children and unauthorized users. Locking​
2.20 device includes but is not limited to the following: a biometric lock; a trigger lock; a barrel​
2.21 lock; a cylinder lock; a gun vault; a locked cabinet; a locked box; or any other appropriate​
2.22 locked container.

The way I read this, it would include when transporting a firearm, say cased in your car, if you happen to go in for lunch, to pay for gas, etc. So, trigger locks or locked case unless in your immediate control.

Your thoughts on reading of HF 396.
Because I care, I carry.
westhope

Postby Lumpy on Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:14 pm

How often were unsecured guns stolen or used in a felony in Minnesota within most recent statistics? Is this a solution in search of a problem or is it significant?
Lumpy

Postby 870TC on Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:39 pm

Lumpy wrote:How often were unsecured guns stolen or used in a felony in Minnesota within most recent statistics? Is this a solution in search of a problem or is it significant?

Don't try to apply logic here...it just confuses the politicians
870TC

Postby Sorcerer on Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:40 am

Will law enforcement be exempt? A number of reports of thefts from law enforcement vehicles. At least one a year that we actually hear of. WHO gets charged, the officers, sheriff, police chief, ?
Sorcerer

Postby bstrawse on Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:52 am

Sorcerer wrote:Will law enforcement be exempt? A number of reports of thefts from law enforcement vehicles. At least one a year that we actually hear of. WHO gets charged, the officers, sheriff, police chief, ?

They are not exempt as the bill is currently written. We would be opposed to any specific carve-out for law enforcement.
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby daleamn on Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:19 pm

Hmmm...is it under my control if it is in the nightstand by my bed and I'm in the bed?

I'm starting to lean toward the radical idea that if someone has to break into my car or break into my house to get my gun they've already broken the law.

That is, if the gun is in a locked house or a locked car I just might consider that I've done due diligence.

I realize this law is would not agree with me and while I personally think a gun safe is a great and prudent idea I still think this law is blaming the victim of theft.

P.S. I also seem to remember the NRA's '10 Commandments of Gun Safety' included keeping the gun and ammunition separate and locked up, but I might be wrong on this.
daleamn

Postby Grayskies on Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:22 pm

Just because the NRA says it doesn't mean it comes from on high.
NRA Life Member & Certified Range Safety Officer
Honorably Discharged U.S. Army Veteran
General Class Amateur Radio Operator and ARRL VE and SkyWarn
Amateur Radio Emergency Service® (ARES)

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

Postby rtk on Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:05 pm

daleamn wrote:Hmmm...is it under my control if it is in the nightstand by my bed and I'm in the bed?

I'm starting to lean toward the radical idea that if someone has to break into my car or break into my house to get my gun they've already broken the law.

That is, if the gun is in a locked house or a locked car I just might consider that I've done due diligence.

I realize this law is would not agree with me and while I personally think a gun safe is a great and prudent idea I still think this law is blaming the victim of theft.

Exactly…
The sky is falling, the sky is falling....(Chicken Little)
rtk

Postby Lumpy on Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:05 pm

daleamn wrote:P.S. I also seem to remember the NRA's '10 Commandments of Gun Safety' included keeping the gun and ammunition separate and locked up, but I might be wrong on this.

I've shared this before, but once again: why keeping your emergency gun unloaded doesn't work:
https://youtu.be/oggXHbnJ9lU?t=30
Lumpy

Previous

Return to Politics