Binary trigger ban

Firearms related political discussion forum

Binary trigger ban

Postby Jackpine Savage on Mon May 20, 2024 8:54 am

The binary trigger ban was crammed into an omnibus bill and passed last night. I remember the first time Shall issue was passed. It was thrown out because it wasn't 'germane' to the rest of the bill. What are the odds of getting this thrown out in a similar fashion? Or for the general cluster f* of how the bill was passed? Or because of an illegal taking? Just bleeding more money from us. effing bastards.
Jackpine Savage

Re: Binary trigger ban

Postby warrlac on Mon May 20, 2024 9:33 am

Jackpine Savage wrote:The binary trigger ban was crammed into an omnibus bill and passed last night. I remember the first time Shall issue was passed. It was thrown out because it wasn't 'germane' to the rest of the bill. What are the odds of getting this thrown out in a similar fashion? Or for the general cluster f* of how the bill was passed? Or because of an illegal taking? Just bleeding more money from us. effing bastards.

Good question. Shall Issue was pro-2A. In today's political arena who knows about HF2609?

I've posted elsewhere on this site regarding the stellar job MNGOC did this legislative session. They put every anti-gun bill back on the shelf with their hard work and unceasing efforts. The Binary Trigger ban had to be surreptitiously slipped into the tax bill without debate by the DFL. They had to show their true colors and play its tyrannical hand to promote their "agenda"...

I agree that the binary trigger ban find its way to court.
warrlac

Postby bstrawse on Mon May 20, 2024 3:49 pm

Jackpine Savage wrote:The binary trigger ban was crammed into an omnibus bill and passed last night. I remember the first time Shall issue was passed. It was thrown out because it wasn't 'germane' to the rest of the bill. What are the odds of getting this thrown out in a similar fashion? Or for the general cluster f* of how the bill was passed? Or because of an illegal taking? Just bleeding more money from us. effing bastards.

It's possible, we're reviewing options with counsel.

We had planned legal action on a binary trigger ban but they way things went down may give us some other options - more to come.
b
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby warrlac on Tue May 21, 2024 9:38 am

bstrawse wrote:

We had planned legal action on a binary trigger ban but they way things went down may give us some other options - more to come.
b

Can someone point me to the text of the revised trigger actuation language? I see single pull and release as being the major edit...

Next question:

Does it now become a NFA item?
    If you have a class III FFL are you still prohibited from owning/using one?
    So... Legal in Iowa. Not legal in Minnesota. Now what?
    What is the penalty for owning one? Are the existing owners grandfathered?
    What are they to do with their now prohibited component?
Doesn't the Bruen ruling provide constitutional guidance for prohibiting these kinds of component and accessory restrictions?
warrlac

Postby bstrawse on Tue May 21, 2024 11:06 am

warrlac wrote:
bstrawse wrote:

b

Can someone point me to the text of the revised trigger actuation language? I see single pull and release as being the major edit...

Next question:

Doesn't the Bruen ruling provide constitutional guidance for prohibiting these kinds of component and accessory restrictions?

The language as passed is in the 4th Engrossment of HF 5247, which you can find here:
https://www.revisor.mn.gov/bills/bill.p ... n=0&y=2024

States do not control what becomes a NFA item - federal law does. It will be completely banned in MN effective 1/1/2025. Possession is a 20-year felony.

No, there is an exception in MN 609.67 that was left unchanged.

Possession in Minnesota is a 20 year felony.

20 years in state prison.

There is no grandfathering.

Move out of state, surrender to law enforcement, destroy, sell to someone else before 1/1/2025.

Yes.

We'll have an explainer up about this if/when it's signed by the Governor. And there will be more to come on what we may/may not do legally, but that will take some time to work through.

Thanks,
b
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby jdege on Tue May 21, 2024 2:54 pm

What, exactly, is their definition of "binary trigger."
jdege

Postby bstrawse on Tue May 21, 2024 6:02 pm

jdege wrote:What, exactly, is their definition of "binary trigger."

The definition is in the link to the bill above - but the specific language used is:

(3) a device that allows a firearm to shoot one shot on the pull of the trigger and a second
shot on the release of the trigger without requiring a subsequent pull of the trigger.
bstrawse

Binary trigger ban

Postby dismal on Wed May 22, 2024 11:13 am

Isn’t the federal penalty for illegal machine gun possession just 10 years? And they’re giving 20 years for binary trigger possession while there’s Glock switches running around?
dismal

Postby daleamn on Wed May 22, 2024 11:41 am

Isn’t the federal penalty for illegal machine gun possession just 10 years? And they’re giving 20 years for binary trigger possession...

A good point.

I suspect there are people in Minnesota government that really, really, really, really, really, really, really don't like guns.

And it's possible they might not like people either.
daleamn

Postby bstrawse on Wed May 22, 2024 11:46 am

dismal wrote:Isn’t the federal penalty for illegal machine gun possession just 10 years? And they’re giving 20 years for binary trigger possession while there’s Glock switches running around?

last year they raised these state penalty from.5 years to 20 years - but yeah, you get the point.
bstrawse

Postby Holland&Holland on Thu May 23, 2024 8:08 am

But those with glock switches are turning their lives around, those with binary triggers probably vote the wrong way and can not be saved.
Holland&Holland

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Fri May 24, 2024 6:39 am

daleamn wrote:And it's possible they might not like people either.

They absolutely HATE the people who dare to disagree with them politicly.
Last edited by Rip Van Winkle on Fri May 24, 2024 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Fri May 24, 2024 6:39 am

x
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby Lumpy on Fri May 24, 2024 11:57 am

My DFL representative sent out an update flier about this session's accomplishments including "strengthened gun violence prevention measures". :roll:
Lumpy

Return to Politics