Tell Governor Dayton to sign the Stand Your Ground bill

Firearms related political discussion forum

Re: Tell Governor Dayton to sign the Stand Your Ground bill

Postby photogpat on Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:56 am

JoanP, MN resident Brady bleater, had a letter published in Duluth News Tribune (big shock) regarding how the law would have helped her psychotic brother-in-law...

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/event/ ... id/224752/

Here's a good summary picking apart her letter:

http://t.co/yQyrMaWv
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby photogpat on Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:59 am

Dayton just dodged the HF1467 Sign or Veto question again saying it was "out of respect for Rep Cornish" -- but that he would "respect the wishes of law enforcement".

I'm on hold again trying to get him to acknowledge the law enforcement protection language in the bill...its there...they're protected...
photogpat

Postby ForeverTwoWheels on Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:02 am

Well I've suffered through an hour of this filth and got no answers. I'm not going to get my hopes up that a Tax and Control liberal will sign this bill. Hopefully the GOP legislature can get it through despite Emperor Dayton pushing his personal agenda and disrespecting the branch of government that represents the People.
ForeverTwoWheels

Postby 2in2out on Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:35 am

A couple of weeks ago, just as I was getting up to get ready for work, my fire pager went off. As volunteer fire chief, I responded to a house fire and proceeded to command the scene until the fire was out and all units left. By that time, I was already late for work. I went home, got cleaned up and went to work.

Moral: In real life, the path between where we are and where we want to be is rarely a straight line. Dayton hasn't vetoed it yet. Even if he does, congress may be able to override it. Even if they don't, there WILL BE a next time.

Nothing worth doing is easy.

To quote Kill Bill:
O-Ren Ishii: You didn't think it was gonna be that easy, did you?
The Bride: You know, for a second there, yeah, I kinda did.

“Politics is a strong and slow boring of hard boards. It takes both passion and perspective. Certainly all historical experience confirms the truth - that man would not have attained the possible unless time and again he had reached out for the impossible. But to do that a man must be a leader, and not only a leader but a hero as well, in a very sober sense of the word. And even those who are neither leaders nor heroes must arm themselves with that steadfastness of heart which can brave even the crumbling of all hopes. This is necessary right now, or else men will not be able to attain even that which is possible today.”
-- Max Weber, a German college professor, 1919 (after Germany's defeat in WW I)
"...the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..." ---Frederick Douglass
2in2out

Postby ForeverTwoWheels on Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:50 am

2in2out wrote:A couple of weeks ago, just as I was getting up to get ready for work, my fire pager went off. As volunteer fire chief, I responded to a house fire and proceeded to command the scene until the fire was out and all units left. By that time, I was already late for work. I went home, got cleaned up and went to work.

Moral: In real life, the path between where we are and where we want to be is rarely a straight line. Dayton hasn't vetoed it yet. Even if he does, congress may be able to override it. Even if they don't, there WILL BE a next time.

Nothing worth doing is easy.

To quote Kill Bill:
O-Ren Ishii: You didn't think it was gonna be that easy, did you?
The Bride: You know, for a second there, yeah, I kinda did.

“Politics is a strong and slow boring of hard boards. It takes both passion and perspective. Certainly all historical experience confirms the truth - that man would not have attained the possible unless time and again he had reached out for the impossible. But to do that a man must be a leader, and not only a leader but a hero as well, in a very sober sense of the word. And even those who are neither leaders nor heroes must arm themselves with that steadfastness of heart which can brave even the crumbling of all hopes. This is necessary right now, or else men will not be able to attain even that which is possible today.”
-- Max Weber, a German college professor, 1919 (after Germany's defeat in WW I)

Very well said. I try to tell myself that he COULD HAVE vetoed it right away. But then the other part of me kicks in and says he has only waited to give the illusion of being a moderate and reluctantly siding with the LEO's, which is usually a strange friendship, a Dem and the cops, but in this case they both want to control private ownership of firearms.

We'll see at COB today I suppose.
ForeverTwoWheels

Postby 45xdacp on Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:02 pm

I found this on ar-15.com and thought I would post it here, it's a poll on the red stars website about whether to sign or veto and by reading the questions you have no doubt their stance on the bill.

As of 12:55

Sign it. You shouldn't have to retreat or hesitate when defending yourself. 442 57%
Veto it. People who defend themselves aren't being prosecuted; it's unnecessary. 332 43%
Total Votes 774

Warning hotlink to the star tribunes website :o

http://www.startribune.com/polls/141418373.html
45xdacp

Postby Thunder71 on Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:05 pm

Voted just to make myself feel better.
Thunder71

Postby mn_smokeater on Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:13 pm

Editor's note: Instant polls are intended as entertainment. They are not considered to be true measurements of public opinion
That guy from the Hinterlands of the Nord.
mn_smokeater

Postby BuckKlier on Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:14 pm

Vote several times!
BuckKlier

Postby Thunder71 on Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:25 pm

I read that, I just feel that if he vetoes it we still win some meaningless little poll. :D
Thunder71

Postby ForeverTwoWheels on Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:29 pm

So where's the best place to get latest info? It's not like the news is covering it. It's nearly bureaucrat quittin' time anyway.
ForeverTwoWheels

Postby TomS on Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:36 pm

TomS

Postby photogpat on Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:37 pm

ForeverTwoWheels wrote:So where's the best place to get latest info? It's not like the news is covering it. It's nearly bureaucrat quittin' time anyway.

http://www.gocra.org and twitter.

Its being covered by "0" of the major news outlets, although likely will be tonight after a "decision" is made.
photogpat

Postby Heffay on Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:54 pm

My bet is that he won't sign it or veto it, which I think means it automatically passes. That way he can say he never signed it (and pissing off the police bosses), and no veto means he won't piss off the majority of people who support this.
To the two forum members who have used lines from my posts as their signatures, can't you quote Jesse Ventura or some other great Minnesotan instead of stealing mine? - LePetomane
Heffay

Postby photogpat on Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:04 pm

Heffay wrote:My bet is that he won't sign it or veto it, which I think means it automatically passes. That way he can say he never signed it (and pissing off the police bosses), and no veto means he won't piss off the majority of people who support this.

We can only hope.

I think he's made it fairly clear what his plans were from the start. Everything else is hoping people stop paying attention to it by the time he gets around to the veto.
photogpat

PreviousNext

Return to Politics