Maybe today?

Firearms related political discussion forum

Re: Maybe today?

Postby westhope on Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:33 am

Heller was not announced today.

It was announced in today's session that all remaining opinions will be announced tomorrow at 10:00 AM Thursday, June 26.

It is predicted that Scalia will write the majority opinion for Heller.
Because I care, I carry.
westhope

Postby yukonjasper on Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:59 am

the Heller Case:

A friend of mine sent me this link. It's a little speculation based on some known history and I think the comments are interesting.

http://www.concurringopinions.com/archi ... y_jus.html
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby BRIT_in_the_weeds on Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:33 pm

Interesting read.....now I have a 35 page pdf to read on why US vs Miller was the start of the gun grabbers.

read the responses at the bottom........great insightd
Far better it is to dare mighty things...than to take rank with those poor, timid spirits who know neither victory nor defeat
T.Roosevelt 1899

Just me and the designated settee, in the weeds.8-)
Thread-F.U master Brit Pei Ying
1/ICC ;-) .1/ICC II.;-)
BRIT_in_the_weeds

Postby chunkstyle on Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:27 pm

phorvick wrote:My daughter drives a Focus.

I knew a guy, a cattle rancher, who died, and left his ranch to his boys. They renamed it "The Focus", cause it's where the sons raise meat!
"In his library at Simi Valley, dead Reagan waits dreaming"
chunkstyle

Postby gunshop guy on Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:35 pm

It sounds like Thursday is the day that the decision will come down. Let's all pray that the justices have the ability to read the constitution correctly. Also, as a side note, Glen Beck on his radio show was just urging people to join the NRA to send a message that we will not be giving up our guns anytime soon.
A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell. ~C.S. Lewis, The Problem of Pain
http://www.christiangunowners.net/
gunshop guy

Postby nyffman on Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:53 pm

chunkstyle wrote:I knew a guy, a cattle rancher, who died, and left his ranch to his boys. They renamed it "The Focus", cause it's where the sons raise meat!

Good one. :)
our quarrel is not about the value of freedom per se, but stems from our opinion of our fellow men … a man’s admiration of absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him --Alexis de Tocqueville--
nyffman

Postby princewally on Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:09 am

Liveblog at http://www.scotusblog.com/wp/

We're minutes away from a decision.
Of the people, By the People, For the People. The government exists to serve us, not the reverse.
princewally

Postby princewally on Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:13 am

Tom Goldstein - Heller affirmed.

10:13
Ben Winograd -

The Court has released the opinion in District of Columbia v. Heller (07-290), on whether the District’s firearms regulations – which bar the possession of handguns and require shotguns and rifles to be kept disassembled or under trigger lock – violate the Second Amendment. The ruling below, which struck down the provisions in question, is affirmed.

Justice Scalia wrote the opinion. Justice Breyer dissented, joined by Justices Stevens, Souter and Ginsburg. We will provide a link to the decision as soon as it is available.
10:13
Tom Goldstein - Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm.

Full opinion with nuanced results will be forthcoming.
Of the people, By the People, For the People. The government exists to serve us, not the reverse.
princewally

Postby princewally on Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:25 am

princewally

Postby DeanC on Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:45 am

Looks pretty good so far:

1. The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home.

(a) The Amendment’s prefatory clause announces a purpose, but does not limit or expand the scope of the second part, the operative clause. The operative clause’s text and history demonstrate that it connotes an individual right to keep and bear arms.

(b) The prefatory clause comports with the Court’s interpretation of the operative clause. The “militia” comprised all males physically capable of acting in concert for the common defense. The Antifederalists feared that the Federal Government would disarm the people in order to disable this citizens’ militia, enabling a politicized standing army or a select militia to rule. The response was to deny Congress power to abridge the ancient right of individuals to keep and bear arms, so that the ideal of a citizens’ militia would be preserved.
Decrypt the points of departure and return your head slowly and you do not cancel your hair.
DeanC

Postby DeanC on Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:48 am

3. The handgun ban and the trigger-lock requirement (as applied to self-defense) violate the Second Amendment. The District’s total ban
on handgun possession in the home amounts to a prohibition on an entire class of “arms” that Americans overwhelmingly choose for the lawful purpose of self-defense.
Decrypt the points of departure and return your head slowly and you do not cancel your hair.
DeanC

Postby DeanC on Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:56 am

Awww crap

Because Heller conceded at oral argument that the D. C. licensing law is permissible if it is not enforced arbitrarily and capriciously, the Court assumes that a license will satisfy his prayer for relief and does not address the licensing requirement. Assuming he is not disqualified from exercising Second Amendment rights, the District must permit Heller to register his handgun and must issue him a license to carry it in the home.
Last edited by DeanC on Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
DeanC

Postby EAJuggalo on Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:58 am

good news for DC Chicago New York and Massachusetts but not so good for the rest of us.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not". - Thomas Jefferson
EAJuggalo

Postby princewally on Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:03 am

DeanC wrote:Awww crap

Because Heller conceded at oral argument that the D. C. licensing law is permissible if it is not enforced arbitrarily and capriciously, the Court assumes that a license will satisfy his prayer for relief and does not address the licensing requirement. Assuming he is not disqualified from exercising Second Amendment rights, the District must permit Heller to register his handgun and must issue him a license to carry it in the home.

This isn't bad. Because Heller conceded, this issue was not addressed. There is NO SCOTUS opinion on the constitutionality of registration. It's open for another case.
princewally

Postby DeanC on Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:08 am

They leave the licensing open - D.C. will have to issue a license to Heller. Wanna bet it cost $100,000 and is only good for 30 days at a time? </bald cynicism>
DeanC

PreviousNext

Return to Politics