Minneapolis not issuing purchase permits

Firearms related political discussion forum

Re: Minneapolis not issuing purchase permits

Postby Pat on Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:23 pm

Do you plan to get a MN permit to carry? Then you won't need a permit to purchase...
"Happiness is...finding two olives in your martini when you're hungry." -Johnny Carson
Cardinal Kung Foundation , The Rule of Saint Benedict
Pat

Postby ttousi on Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:02 pm

answer here pat

jgalt wrote:Eh, it is what it is. It'll be interesting to see if my carry permit arrives before the permit to purchase does though... (I submitted the carry permit paperwork last Monday.)
MN Permit Instructor
http://www.tomtgun.com
NRA Training Counselor/Instructor (Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection)
DNR FAS Instructor

"I am not going to be intimidated by some punk with a moderator button."-darkwolf45
ttousi

Postby hammAR on Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:07 pm

It was in English..................... :rotf:

Try this: Hein, il est ce qui est il. It' ; le ll soit intéressant pour voir si mon portez la laiss arrive avant que la laiss d'acheter fasse cependant… (J'ai soumis les écritures de laiss de transport le lundi passé.)
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby justaguy on Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:30 pm

hammAR wrote:It was in English..................... :rotf:

Try this: Hein, il est ce qui est il. It' ; le ll soit intéressant pour voir si mon portez la laiss arrive avant que la laiss d'acheter fasse cependant… (J'ai soumis les écritures de laiss de transport le lundi passé.)

Hey Hey Hey we have rules here dammit. Mods this better be delta with.
WWTNSTKBLD
(What Would The Navy SEALs That Killed Bin Laden Do)
justaguy

Postby hammAR on Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:39 pm

justaguy wrote:Hey Hey Hey we have rules here dammit. Mods this better be delta with.

Ok, Blutarski......delta my butt, learn effen English.................

would grunt talk be better for you justawhiner, brown nosed, pencil neck............"Get on you knees and choke yourself......" :hartman:

All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby justaguy on Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:41 pm

hammAR wrote:"Get on you knees and

Wadrow does this stuff not me.
WWTNSTKBLD
justaguy

Postby Wadero on Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:45 pm

justaguy wrote:
hammAR wrote:"Get on you knees and

Wadrow does this stuff not me.

Again, another thread that I haven't even posted in, that I get dragged into. You people leave me out of you sick little games.
“You were born free, you got f***ed out of half of it, and you wave a flag celebrating it.” -- Doug Stanhope
Wadero

Postby EAJuggalo on Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:05 pm

It's irrelevent, if the city doesn't come up with a reason to deny you than the permit must be issued within seven days. There is also a process to do a waiting period with the dealer but most dealers won't do that anymore. The dealer fills out what amounts to a permit to purchase application and submits it to LE, if they don't hear back from the LEA within five days they process the transaction just as any other.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not". - Thomas Jefferson
EAJuggalo

Postby jgalt on Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:21 pm

EAJuggalo wrote:It's irrelevent, if the city doesn't come up with a reason to deny you than the permit must be issued within seven days. There is also a process to do a waiting period with the dealer but most dealers won't do that anymore. The dealer fills out what amounts to a permit to purchase application and submits it to LE, if they don't hear back from the LEA within five days they process the transaction just as any other.

Yeah, I know that. But I can't go to the FFL that has my firearm in his safe and say, "I applied 22 days ago. They haven't denied me and it is past seven days, therefore it has been approved. I'll take my firearm now please." I have the satisfaction of knowing that your / my / our interpretation of the law is the correct one, and I'm getting screwed, but what am I supposed to do about it? The women I talked to both struck me as honestly doing their best to fulfill requirements that can't possibly be fulfilled for someone in my situation (10 addresses in 7 counties in 5 states in the last 10 years). The fault lies with the system itself and how it is being implemented. At this point, I'm just going to sit back and count the days, because it is interesting to watch government inaction, er, I mean in action...
jgalt

Postby Andrew Rothman on Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:06 am

The city is breaking the law. Even if they hear back from none of the places you lived, they need to hand you that piece of cardboard after 7 calendar days. Someone needs a little wake-up call.
Andrew Rothman

Postby nyffman on Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:14 am

I have to agree with Andrew on this one. I had a purchase permit before getting my carry permit. IIRC, it took them about 2 weeks or more to issue the permit. They used the same excuse, that one city where I had lived had not reported back to them. Not sure if it helped or not, but I reminded the person that I dealt with that, regardless, they were in violation of the law. Permit was issued soon after. This was a smaller town. St. Paul probably isn't so easily dealt with. This sounds like a situation where you will get as much justice as you care to buy.
our quarrel is not about the value of freedom per se, but stems from our opinion of our fellow men … a man’s admiration of absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him --Alexis de Tocqueville--
nyffman

Postby justaguy on Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:08 am

Andrew Rothman wrote:The city is breaking the law. Even if they hear back from none of the places you lived, they need to hand you that piece of cardboard after 7 calendar days. Someone needs a little wake-up call.

Lets get on this.
WWTNSTKBLD
justaguy

Postby jgalt on Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:08 pm

Andrew Rothman wrote:The city is breaking the law. Even if they hear back from none of the places you lived, they need to hand you that piece of cardboard after 7 calendar days. Someone needs a little wake-up call.

I do agree - completely. Its just that:
1. I'm in no position to 'buy any justice'.
2. I have already applied for my carry permit, and there is absolutely no reason for it to be denied. I don't want to become as a 'rabble rouser' and give anyone a reason, however ridiculous & contrived, to deny me that permit.
3. Since you guys have done such a good job on getting the carry permits issued in a timely manner and I believe it is extremely unlikely mine will be either denied or delayed, I don't want to risk pissing anyone off that might have both the desire & power to arbitrarily mess with my carry application, just so I can end up picking up the firearm that is waiting for me all of a couple of weeks sooner than if I just wait for that carry permit.
4. Finally, I have no idea to whom I would complain anyway. As I said, both of the women I spoke with at the 'permit desk' were professional and helpful, but their hands are tied by the rules they have been given to follow. Whoever is making those rules needs to be made aware of the law, and that leads me back to numbers 1-3 above...

If anyone has any suggestions regarding who I can call or what I can do that won't cost me anything, and carries no risk of getting my carry permit either delayed or denied, I'm all ears. Thanks!
jgalt

Postby BRIT_in_the_weeds on Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:35 pm

:cough:********:cough:
Far better it is to dare mighty things...than to take rank with those poor, timid spirits who know neither victory nor defeat
T.Roosevelt 1899

Just me and the designated settee, in the weeds.8-)
Thread-F.U master Brit Pei Ying
1/ICC ;-) .1/ICC II.;-)
BRIT_in_the_weeds

Postby jgalt on Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:33 pm

BRIT_in_the_weeds wrote::cough:bullcrap:cough:

Just curious - what exactly are you referring to as ":cough:bullcrap:cough:"? It has currently been 23 days since I applied for a permit that is by law to be issued or denied within 7 days, and that is most emphatically not bullcrap, no matter how much coughing you do. I assume you must be referring to something else...
jgalt

PreviousNext

Return to Politics