Judge suggests amendment of the 2A

Firearms related political discussion forum

Re: Judge suggests amendment of the 2A

Postby Randygmn on Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:47 am

Tronster wrote:I don't think he is held to oath after retirement, meaning he could say whatever he wants since he is no longer a serving judge (I would guess, I don't know for sure). And in the article he dissented the official court rulling in both Heller and McDonald cases, so he's had this opinion for quite a while now and I think he is just now coming clean on it, which maybe he couldn't before when serving.

But when the ruling is 5 to 4, it shows just how close we are to a disfavorable ruling on the 2A, and the kind of anti gun opinions that are held even in highest court offices. We really are at the mercy of the courts.

The oath is for life.
Randygmn

Postby jgalt on Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:31 am

Randygmn wrote:The oath is for life.

Prove it.

I'll give you a little help - here's the oath a judge takes:

Each justice or judge of the United States shall take the following oath or affirmation before performing the duties of his office: “I, XXX XXX, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will administer justice without respect to persons, and do equal right to the poor and to the rich, and that I will faithfully and impartially discharge and perform all the duties incumbent upon me as XXX under the Constitution and laws of the United States. So help me God.”
jgalt

Postby Lumpy on Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:07 am

I keep wondering how anyone with even an amateur knowledge of the Constitution could think that the Second Amendment is there to protect "state armies". The states are explicitly forbidden to have standing, professional military forces, per Article One, Section Ten, Clause Three. And in every document contemporary with the Second Amendment that mentions the militia, it's context is always perfectly clear: the militia is the body of the public, armed with their own, privately held weapons. The Posse Comitatus that could be deputized or mustered to the common defense in an emergency.
Lumpy

Postby Lunchbox on Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:49 am

jgalt wrote:
Randygmn wrote:The oath is for life.

Prove it.

I'll give you a little help - here's the oath a judge takes:

Each justice or judge of the United States shall take the following oath or affirmation before performing the duties of his office: “I, XXX XXX, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will administer justice without respect to persons, and do equal right to the poor and to the rich, and that I will faithfully and impartially discharge and perform all the duties incumbent upon me as XXX under the Constitution and laws of the United States. So help me God.”

Where's the expiration date? I'm not seeing one in the oath.
The one I took when I enlisted didn't have one, my enlistment had an end but my oath didn't.
"Time is the best teacher, but unfortunately, it kills all of its students" - Robin Williams
"You see this? This... is my boomstick! The twelve-gauge double-barreled Remington." - Ash Williams
Lunchbox

Postby jgalt on Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:14 am

Lunchbox wrote:

Where's the expiration date? I'm not seeing one in the oath.
The one I took when I enlisted didn't have one, my enlistment had an end but my oath didn't.[/quote]

Actually read the oath quoted above - it is crystal clear. If you can't see that it only applies while actually working as a judge, then no explanations I could give would help...

re: your oath when you enlisted - this thread is about this judge and the oath he took, which is different than the oath you took... :roll:
jgalt

Postby jshuberg on Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:52 am

Mn01r6 wrote:
jshuberg wrote:The history, meaning and intent of the 2A is well known and understood. He knows this. He simply disagrees with it, and would use any and every legal maneuvering to pervert the right to what he deems acceptable. Quite simply, he is a tyrant. And he should live the rest of his life locked in a cage because of it.

1) it wasn't (in the law) until Heller and McDonald...one more anti on the court and it would be a very different world.

2) slow your roll on locking up those you disagree with there Pol Pot. :D Justice Stevens is a political adversary and we don't jail people we disagree with in this country. Just be happy he retired before he could do any more damage.

With respect, you're wrong here. It does not require a supreme court ruling to validate a constitutional right. Yes, a more corrupt supreme court may have ruled the other way. They would have been wrong, and the court has reversed itself from time to time for being wrong.

The meaning of the 2A is not something that requires a judicial analysis to understand. It was written in the plain language of the day specifically so that the common man would understand that his government recognizes and protects his right. A couple hundred years later, in a very different cultural context, that language isn't as plain as it was when it was penned. Nevertheless, we can very easily determine what the intent and scope of the 2A was. It is not a matter of opinion, it is a matter of documented historical fact. Both the Federalists and Anti-Federalists agreed on this right. There was no argument over what the right is. The entire debate was centered on the language, and how best to simplify it down to it's simplest form, and make it understandable to the people of the day. We have both the Federalist and Anti-Federalist papers that go into the understanding of the right. Papers and letters written by those who ratified it who explain in greater detail the reasoning, as well as Madison's notes of the ratification process of the 2A. What the right is and what it means is quite simply a matter of historical fact, and no honest individual familiar with constitutional history can claim otherwise.

When Stevens wrote the dissenting opinion in Heller, a significant portion of his argument was legislative in nature, rather than judicial. Rather than looking at the history and intent of the legislature that authored the amendment, or the 3/4 of the state legislatures that ratified it, he argued that guns are dangerous, and need to be regulated, blah blah blah. When his argument didn't prevail, it was only *then* that he brought up a constitutional amendment to *change* his personal opinion of what the 2A *should* be (as opposed to what it actually is). This is plain evidence that he wished to change the meaning of the 2A by judicial ruling first, and only when that failed did he suggest a legislative "fix" to get the right in line with his political beliefs.

In other words, Stevens knowingly tried to change the meaning and application of a constitutional right from the bench to fit his personal beliefs. This is not the role of the judiciary, and his attempt to thwart the intent of the legislatures that ratified the 2A is nothing less than an assault on the constitution itself. He is and was in violation of his oath, and in a just world should suffer the full penalty of law for doing so.

The legislature can change existing law. They can author or modify constitutional amendments. That is their role. When the judiciary presumes to grab the power from the legislature, and presume to write or change the law from the bench, they are exceeding their constitutional authority, and deny the people their legislative representation in government. When judges do this they become criminals, should suffer public disgrace, and spend the rest of their lives in a cage.
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Personal Protection In The Home Instructor
NRA Life Member
MCPPA Certified Instructor
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Postby Tronster on Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:08 am

Very well put, thank you.

As for some of the comments about being executed as a traitor, thats a bit extreme dont you think? At the least he should be stripped of his title for trying to overstep his boundaries and failure to abide by his oath.
Tronster

Postby Randygmn on Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:41 pm

Tronster wrote:Very well put, thank you.

As for some of the comments about being executed as a traitor, thats a bit extreme dont you think? At the least he should be stripped of his title for trying to overstep his boundaries and failure to abide by his oath.

Treason is the most serious of crimes and he should suffer the harshet penalties available in our country. My statement was NOT just rhetoric.
Randygmn

Postby jgalt on Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:37 pm

Randygmn wrote:
Tronster wrote:Very well put, thank you.

Treason is the most serious of crimes and he should suffer the harshet penalties available in our country. My statement was NOT just rhetoric.

For what? All he did was express an opinion - he has no more power than any of us to implement that opinion since he is no longer a judge... :roll:
jgalt

Judge suggests amendment of the 2A

Postby jshuberg on Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:37 pm

The problem is, while a seated judge, he presumed to substitute historical fact with personal political opinion. His most recent statement simply demonstrates where his mind was.

He tried to fix the "problem" of the 2A through his position as a Supreme Court judge, and when that failed basically admitted that it would require a constitutional amendment. He presumed to act beyond the power of his appointment and legislate from the bench. The fact he failed doesn't make him any less a criminal than a thief who's thwarted in the act by the cops.
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Personal Protection In The Home Instructor
NRA Life Member
MCPPA Certified Instructor
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Postby Lumpy on Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:42 pm

He appears to essentially be in favor of "grandfathering" the encroachment on the 2nd that started with Presser v. Illinois in 1886 and continued through to the Assault Weapons Ban.
Lumpy

Postby loose on Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:59 am

Wouldn't actual trying to amend the constitution be the legitimate way to do it? Instead of all the infringement of the "common sense" gun laws we have now?
loose

Postby ex-LT on Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:49 am

loose wrote:Wouldn't actual trying to amend the constitution be the legitimate way to do it? Instead of all the infringement of the "common sense" gun laws we have now?

Yes, but even the people who hate guns know that method is a non-starter, so they keep chipping away "a little here" and "a little there" hoping that we won't notice. Their hope is that eventually, using that method, they'll get what they want - complete confiscation of all firearms - without us really noticing.
DNR Certified Firearms Safety Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Rifle, and Shotgun
NRA Endowment Life Member
MN Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Member Post 435 Gun Club
ex-LT
Inspector Gadget

Postby loose on Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:05 am

ex-LT wrote:
loose wrote:Wouldn't actual trying to amend the constitution be the legitimate way to do it? Instead of all the infringement of the "common sense" gun laws we have now?

Yes, but even the people who hate guns know that method is a non-starter, so they keep chipping away "a little here" and "a little there" hoping that we won't notice. Their hope is that eventually, using that method, they'll get what they want - complete confiscation of all firearms - without us really noticing.

That's my point, I would consider the people that support and pass any gun law more treasonous then the guy who suggests changing the way an amendment is written.
loose

Postby Hmac on Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:29 am

Mn01r6 wrote:2) slow your roll on locking up those you disagree with there Pol Pot. :D Justice Stevens is a political adversary and we don't jail people we disagree with in this country. Just be happy he retired before he could do any more damage.

Hmac

PreviousNext

Return to Politics