2/6 Hearing

Firearms related political discussion forum

Re: 2/6 Hearing

Postby river_boater on Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:54 pm

tman wrote:The FBI guy, John Egelhof should be your hero. He was the outside investigator brought in to deal with the Metro Gang Strikeforce inquiry.

He's a very competent investigator who HAS seen a lot of ****. Don't discount his "gravitas" with the committee. It's a shame he's against EBR's.

Sent from my iPhone using that app which shall not be named.

So he did his job, but is not on "our" side. I don't see why I should respect him for that.
river_boater

Postby Josh189 on Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:22 am

We need to send emails and submit calls to the Governor and relay our dismay that our own representatives have a bias demeanor when it came to our presentation. This is a farce and even if they pass these bills I doubt anyone will abide.
I am going to write a scathing letter to criticize how this hearing was handled.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. -Edmund Burke
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin
Josh189

Postby Paul on Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:46 am

BigBlue wrote:One thing I will say as an opportunity for improvement for our side: We need a media consultant for GOCRA. Someone to help our folks look very professional and clean-cut. The officer who testified came in jeans and a hooded sweatshirt. Like it or not, that diminishes a person's effectiveness. You're in front of a group of people who wear suits every day. You need to do the same.

YES!

I've been saying this privately to folks for quite some time. Image is everything and you need to dress to impress. Buy a tie and wear a suit. It's not that difficult. I get that some want to come off or appeal to the "common man" but that's not who we need to influence right now. The gun guys are already behind you. We don't need to be swayed. The folks that do need to be swayed are the politicians and liberals folks who may be undecided/open to information. Look at Paymar, Schoen and others in a decent suit. If you're going change their mind, they need to be able to identify with you. A t-shirt, flannel, or sloppy unbuttoned polo shirt doesn't get that done.

As far as the cop in the hoodie... I agree with you, but from what I gathered he was a late minute addition who they grabbed the day of - didn't show up with the intention of testifying.

With all that being said, Rothman, Doar, Pat, Blincow and many others are doing a good job with content. We owe them a lot, keep up the good work and thanks for fighting for us!
Paul

Postby Paul on Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:50 am

tman wrote:The FBI guy, John Egelhof should be your hero. He was the outside investigator brought in to deal with the Metro Gang Strikeforce inquiry.

He's a very competent investigator who HAS seen a lot of ****. Don't discount his "gravitas" with the committee. It's a shame he's against EBR's.

tman,

Usually I agree with you, but I can say with certainty that Egelhof is not my hero. He may have done a lot of good in his career, and I'd be the first one to give him all the credit and appreciation that he deserves. But he came out and blatantly attacked our rights.

Did you watch his testimony?

He's either completely ignorant regarding firearms, or lying. Take your pick.
Paul

Postby Texastransplant on Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:54 am

Sent from my iPhone using that app which shall not be named.

Benedict Arnold was Washington's friend before.... Just saying.
Texastransplant

Postby stoneboat on Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:01 am

I think the blank shooting lady was as a time filler to take away from the dissent.

I think they should throw out H241 or rehear it because of the DFL bias and their absense from the last part of the hearing. How can they vote on it?
Guns make people equal
stoneboat

Postby Texastransplant on Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:04 am

Simonson just got an angry voice message from yours truly. Kept it clean, but damned if I'm going to not calling him out for leaving during testimony on a bill he wrote that would make me a felon! F him!
Texastransplant

Postby xd ED on Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:13 am

Something I wondered about after watching the video:
I know enough about the legislative process to understand a little bit about how a bill becomes law, but nothing of legislative technicalities-
While it was certainly irregular for a lobbyist to introduce and then promote their pet legislation- Was that even legal?
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby BigBlue on Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:14 am

Paul wrote:

tman,

Usually I agree with you, but I can say with certainty that Egelhof is not my hero. He may have done a lot of good in his career, and I'd be the first one to give him all the credit and appreciation that he deserves. But he came out and blatantly attacked our rights.

He didn't answer any question posed to him. I've spent time on the other side of the microphone and I've learned that if someone sitting before you presenting can't or won't answer your questions then you have little reason to believe what they say. They are either being intentionally misleading and vague because their argument is flawed or they are incompetent. Given this guy's background I'd find it difficult to peg him as the latter, so I'll go with the former. Any of the reps who were on the fence should have been turned off by this guy.

BB
BigBlue

Postby Paul on Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:20 am

Agreed. Well said.
Paul

Postby xd ED on Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:25 am

Paul wrote:
BigBlue wrote:One thing I will say as an opportunity for improvement for our side: We need a media consultant for GOCRA. Someone to help our folks look very professional and clean-cut. The officer who testified came in jeans and a hooded sweatshirt. Like it or not, that diminishes a person's effectiveness. You're in front of a group of people who wear suits every day. You need to do the same.

YES!

I've been saying this privately to folks for quite some time. Image is everything and you need to dress to impress. Buy a tie and wear a suit. It's not that difficult. I get that some want to come off or appeal to the "common man" but that's not who we need to influence right now. The gun guys are already behind you. We don't need to be swayed. The folks that do need to be swayed are the politicians and liberals folks who may be undecided/open to information. Look at Paymar, Schoen and others in a decent suit. If you're going change their mind, they need to be able to identify with you. A t-shirt, flannel, or sloppy unbuttoned polo shirt doesn't get that done.

As far as the cop in the hoodie... I agree with you, but from what I gathered he was a late minute addition who they grabbed the day of - didn't show up with the intention of testifying.

With all that being said, Rothman, Doar, Pat, Blincow and many others are doing a good job with content. We owe them a lot, keep up the good work and thanks for fighting for us!

I have to fully agree with Paul, especially with the praise of our guys. Thank you for your time, energy, and expertise.
When the officials/ power people in the room are dressed in business suits, anyone else in the room dressed differently is visually, and psychologically compartmentalized to a subordinate function. Their appearance will be at best a distraction, as well as a likely target on which the media will prey.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby 301spartan on Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:49 am

Who's going to call out those anti-gun "experts"?
We got a guy who builds muzzle loaders, an old west reanactor, an FBI agent that talked about a gun that was almost used during the red lake incident.
Let's not forget about the chief who could only come up with an incident from 7 years ago in colombia heights, don't forget he's been a cop for 35 years. Wait I guess he did bring up that one incident from the eighties. He was wrong when he said that Minneapolis would be like the wild west when the conceal and carry went through and he's wrong now. Numbers don't lie.
301spartan

Postby tman on Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:15 am

Paul wrote:

tman,

My "hero" statement had nothing to do with his testimony. It was a reference to his investigating bad cops, which people here usually applaud. ;)
Badged Thug & MN Permit to Carry Instructor
Slowly growing 1911 Glock collection. Donations accepted
tman

Previous

Return to Politics