HF 1467 Back to the MN Senate Committee

Firearms related political discussion forum

Re: HF 1467 Back to the MN Senate Committee

Postby justaguy on Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:22 pm

Has anyone had a Republican say they are not on board, and a Democrat say they were on board?
WWTNSTKBLD
(What Would The Navy SEALs That Killed Bin Laden Do)
justaguy

Postby steve4102 on Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:54 pm

Doesn't matter much anyway. Gov Goofy will veto the bill under the recommendation of the LEO community and his left wing advisers.
steve4102

Postby JustinPo on Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:52 pm

Email sent to Senator

Keep the pressure on, who knows the Gov. may fold or get overridden if enough support if shown!
JustinPo

Postby tazdevil on Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:34 pm

steve4102 wrote:Doesn't matter much anyway. Gov Goofy will veto the bill under the recommendation of the LEO community and his left wing advisers.

I thought only a portion of the LEO community was against this, but others where for it?
1911 Fan quote in memoirium about carrying:
The purpose of a firearm in a defensive situation is to make the other guy leak from holes he was not born with. Your job is to install those orifices for him.
tazdevil

Location: over your shoulder, whispering sweet nothings in your ear.

Postby steve4102 on Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:26 pm

tazdevil wrote:
I thought only a portion of the LEO community was against this, but others where for it?

From The Star.

http://www.startribune.com/politics/sta ... 60918.html

Police and prosecutors took a united stand Thursday against a bill that would expand the definition of self-defense and the use of deadly force for civilians who feel threatened in their homes and cars and in public places.

"Standing here is all law enforcement, all Minnesota's prosecutors," Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman told a State Capitol news conference. "We unanimously oppose this bill."

The Minneapolis and St. Paul police chiefs, representatives of the state's police chiefs and rank-and-file officers, and the state County Attorneys Association joined Freeman in denouncing the bill as a threat to officers who knock on doors and chase suspects through yards.
steve4102

Postby tazdevil on Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:28 am

coyotee4269 wrote:The reasons for not passing it are actually those same reasons to support the bill. Criminals may be less likely to attempt to shoot someone if they may be shot at in return or upon the life Threating an individual at home, in the car, etc. The Police Chief in Minneapolis is ony one of those who do not like it. If one listened to the legislature debate on this subject last May you will find out that there are many law enforcement officer who do support the bill. This is a great bill and it will help those who want to protect themselves and help those who travel state to state.

Ok, so where are those police officers that supported it now? Or is the source of this info suspect enough? (bolding by me)
1911 Fan quote in memoirium about carrying:
The purpose of a firearm in a defensive situation is to make the other guy leak from holes he was not born with. Your job is to install those orifices for him.
tazdevil

Location: over your shoulder, whispering sweet nothings in your ear.

Postby plblark on Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:18 am

let's see, The Dir of Public Safety from Mankato (I think that's what they call their chief of police) was one of the people who testified in favor of this bill.
private or small grou permit classes available
"I'll take a huge order of fiscal responsibility, a side of small government, hold the religion please. " Paraphrase from Tamara K
RIP 1911Fan
plblark

Postby 2in2out on Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:29 am

If the problem is that the the gov will veto, then why shouldn't we take this directly to him? If he's who we need to convince, and certain members of the law enforcement community are giving the governor an earful, he should at least have enough information to make a balanced decision?

Can we write to him next?
"...the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..." ---Frederick Douglass
2in2out

Postby Mary on Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:57 am

They must know that we have been through training and know not to go shooting wild into a crowd or in any careless way. They just wear the protect and serve to protect and serve themselves. I should have the right to protect my property, loved ones and my self. The Castle law should also be brought up in this State... Just saying..
Mary

Postby cobb on Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:38 pm

plblark wrote:let's see, The Dir of Public Safety from Mankato (I think that's what they call their chief of police) was one of the people who testified in favor of this bill.

Yes, Todd Miller is the Director of Public Safety in Mankato and spoke in favor of this bill.
“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result”. - Winston Churchill

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING
MN. DPS/BCA approved training organization.

http://www.RiverValleyTraining.com
cobb

Postby 2in2out on Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:41 pm

I actually met the governor once, when he was running against Dave Durenberger. Ahhhh.... those were the days.... when I didn't have to cook - all I had to do was show the cafeteria my student ID and I got as much food as I wanted... :D

Anyway, I shook his hand, which makes us friends. :? Yesterday, I asked my friend (term used loosely) if he would consider that not all law enforcement is against this bill, and if maybe it would be cool if he didn't veto it.

Based on that, I'm sure he will see things my way, and put his stamp on the bill when it reaches his desk. Impeccable logic, if I do say so myself. Everyone agrees, right?

In my own defense, I shook his hand, because I wanted to eat and he was standing in the way. On the other hand, I was always impressed that he ran against the impenetrable defenses of The Durenberger.
"...the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..." ---Frederick Douglass
2in2out

Postby Flyby on Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:24 pm

The bill just got tabled on the senate floor during debate. Its going to be brought back up at 4:30 this afternoon.
Flyby

Postby farmerj on Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:28 pm

old news

Deleted
Last edited by farmerj on Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We reap what we sow. In our case, we have sown our government.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Postby plblark on Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:30 pm

"I'll take a huge order of fiscal responsibility, a side of small government, hold the religion please. " Paraphrase from Tamara K
RIP 1911Fan
plblark

Postby plblark on Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:57 pm

The senate is taking a recess. They'll be back at 4:30pm you can watch live from this page: http://www.senate.leg.state.mn.us/media/
Just click your format on the right side of the page
RIP 1911Fan
plblark

PreviousNext

Return to Politics