Chaska's Knight speaks about "sensible gun laws..."

Firearms related political discussion forum

Chaska's Knight speaks about "sensible gun laws..."

Postby Vlad on Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:15 pm

On the comentary page of NPR newshttp://minnesota.publicradio.org/display/web/2010/07/06/knight/

from the link...

Commentary
There's still plenty of room for sensible gun laws
by Scott M. Knight
July 6, 2010

Chaska, Minn. — A ruling handed down by the U.S. Supreme Court last week threatens Chicago's 28-year-old ban on handguns. But the court's finding that residents have a Second Amendment right to keep a handgun in their home for protection could also provide a new opportunity for Chicago -- and other cities and towns across the country -- to enact strict firearms policies.

As a police chief, I know first hand the threat that handguns pose to law enforcement officers and other first responders like firefighters and paramedics. In order to do our jobs effectively, we need comprehensive public policies that keep handguns out of the wrong hands. I am talking about the need to preserve and enhance laws that keep handguns away from criminals, gang members, the mentally ill and others who would visit harm upon our citizens. I am talking about laws that make sure that firearms are stored safely, especially around children.

My professional interest in responsible firearms policies is also a personal interest. A few years ago, one of my officers was shot in the line of duty -- fortunately, he lived and continues to serve our community. And just last May, Sgt. Joe Bergeron -- an uncle to one of my sergeants -- was ambushed, shot and killed in Maplewood.

Nationally, in 2009, officer line-of-duty deaths decreased except for firearms-related deaths, which rose by 22 percent over 2008. At this point in 2010, officer firearm-related deaths are 35 percent above 2009. Between 1999 and 2009, more than 20,000 law enforcement officers were assaulted with firearms in the United States. Of the 530 officers killed in the line of duty during the same time period, 486 -- more than 90 percent -- were killed by a firearm. If not for advances in body armor, paramedic practices in the field and emergency room medicine, we would have lost more officers.

Firearms in the wrong hands are also a threat to community safety -- guns are used to kill about 30,000 Americans a year, and they injure some 70,000 more. According to researchers at the University of Pennsylvania, during the past several decades firearms have been involved in approximately 65 percent of homicides, 55 percent of suicides (the Minnesota Department of Health tells us that, in our state, 76 percent of deaths related to firearms are suicides), 40 percent of robberies, and 20 percent of aggravated assaults in our country. The numbers I cite do not include accidental shootings, which especially take a toll on our children.

The obvious solution to this senseless loss of life is reasonable law on who can buy guns (close the "gun show -- no background check needed" loophole); on the kinds of guns and ammunition that can be purchased (e.g., military assault weapons and armor-piercing bullets do not belong on our streets); on the reporting of lost or stolen firearms, and on how guns are kept and stored.

Gun violence is a destructive force and threat to our communities and society. We need sensible gun policies to reduce this threat. Last week's Supreme Court decision has provided all of us with an opportunity to make that happen.

Solid first steps would be to close the gun show loophole that allows the sale of guns on a cash and carry basis, with no identification required. Add those who commit crime(s) with a gun to the Predatory Offender Registry, and require them to register where they live and when they move, as we now do with sex offenders and other predators. And we should enact an assault weapons ban.

---

Scott M. Knight, chief of police in Chaska, Minn., is chairman of the International Association of Chiefs of Police Firearms Committee.
http://www.Schleifleather.com For custom holsters that fit you and the gun, not to mention show off those Strad grips...

The cost of liberty is less than the price of repression."

--W.E.B. Du Bois,
American scholar and civil rights leader
Vlad

Re: Chaska's Knight speaks about "sensible gun laws..."

Postby bstrawse on Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:21 pm

The fact that he's the chair of the IACP Committee on Firearms irritates me...
b
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby Bessy on Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:37 pm

Vlad wrote: (the Minnesota Department of Health tells us that, in our state, 76 percent of deaths related to firearms are suicides),

.... And we should enact an assault weapons ban.

Hmmmm... and you know when someone want's to kill themselves.. when you limit their access to firearms.. they just give up and decide to live?...... just look at japan, they don't have access to firearms.. no suicides there.

Yeah you know those "assault weapons" are so horrible, mine climb out of the safe at night and murder puppies for fun.
In Soviet Russia program executes you!
Bessy

Postby mrokern on Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:39 pm

Look at this, and somebody PLEASE feel free to send this to whomever you'd like:

Chief Knight's 530 officers killed

He's specifically only listing officers feloniously killed.

Now let's look at accidentally killed (auto accidents, etc.):

Data that Knight ignores

Don't you love it when a police officer politicizes the deaths of his own comrades? Knight is a piece of work.
Back to being just a guy.
No, not that guy. Or that other one either.
mrokern

Postby EAJuggalo on Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:48 pm

If we use his own numbers and extrapolate the minnesota sample nationally. Out of 30,000 firearms deaths only 7,200 of them are not suicides. And I bet if you took out Chicago, New York, California, Massachusetts and DC that is a very small number indeed.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not". - Thomas Jefferson
EAJuggalo

Postby mrokern on Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:59 pm

EAJuggalo wrote:If we use his own numbers and extrapolate the minnesota sample nationally. Out of 30,000 firearms deaths only 7,200 of them are not suicides. And I bet if you took out Chicago, New York, California, Massachusetts and DC that is a very small number indeed.

Nah, it couldn't be those places, they aren't allowed to own guns... :?
Back to being just a guy.
No, not that guy. Or that other one either.
mrokern

Postby mmcnx2 on Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:50 pm

Chief of Police in Chaska MN doesn't that rank right up there with being the coach for the South African hockey team. He has to be the chair of some committee to fulfill his need to be somebody.
mmcnx2

Postby MNIceMan on Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:08 pm

He has always been a piece of work. Not the nicest person to be around and it's his way or the highway. Yes I have dealt with the man before he was chief. Had a few hit and runs on my vehicle in the local grocery store parking lot with quite a few dollars worth of damage years back and he just shrugged them off. It's all about what he thinks.
MN DNR FAS Instructor
NRA Life Member
"We all have our own Green Mile to walk. How will yours be?"
MNIceMan

Postby PhilaBOR on Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:43 pm

Firearms in the wrong hands are also a threat to community safety -- guns are used to kill about 30,000 Americans a year, and they injure some 70,000 more. According to researchers at the University of Pennsylvania, during the past several decades firearms have been involved in approximately 65 percent of homicides, 55 percent of suicides (the Minnesota Department of Health tells us that, in our state, 76 percent of deaths related to firearms are suicides), 40 percent of robberies, and 20 percent of aggravated assaults in our country. The numbers I cite do not include accidental shootings, which especially take a toll on our children.

And of those gun homicides, how many were already breaking the law? How many were felons in possession? How many were stolen, or straw purchases? IT'S ALREADY ILLEGAL! Most crime guns don't come from gun shows. They come from theft or friends or family. If you "close the gun show loophole" it will have negligible effect on the availability of guns to criminals. The black market will find a way for those who ignore the law.
"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations..."
PhilaBOR

Postby lance22 on Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:55 pm

Nobody gets his mac on like Chief Bling. It kind of reminds me of a camel in the mid-east that has tassles and coins tied onto anything that will hold them.
lance22
Minn Uh Soh Tah
lance22

Postby GregM on Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:30 am

Yeah. More laws. That'll protect us.
FLEE IF YOU CAN. FIGHT IF YOU MUST.
GregM

Postby xd ED on Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:38 pm

He managed to get 'gun-show-loophole', 'military assault weapons', and 'armor piercing ammunition' all out in one sentence. I a bit surprised such a practiced individual didn't use the term 'cop-killer' bullets...and 'machine guns' at least once.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby JustMe on Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:14 pm

I believe that this pair below skipped around a few laws here. What would Chief Bling do in this situation?

Police arrest Minn. pair in Iowa gun shop theft
http://www.kare11.com/news/news_article ... yid=863193
SIOUX CITY, Iowa (AP) -- Police in western Iowa says they've arrested two Minnesota men for stealing more than 40 guns in May.

Authorities say Felix Mendez and Jose Osoria-Mendez of Worthington, Minnesota have been arrested and charged with theft of firearms.

Crawford County officials say the pair broke into a gun shop in Vail, Iowa and took pistols and rifles.

The guns were found on July 20 in a spillway near Worthington.
The pair face up to 10 years in prison if convicted.

Authorities say they expects more arrests to be made.
(Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
JustMe

Postby bigmatt on Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:23 pm

I have the upmost respect for police officers and even have a few friends whom are officers. However Scott Knight is a tool. As a citizen of chaska his leadership has created a over "zealous" (for lack of better words) department and find most are out to fill there quota vs. protect and serve and find myself in good company. My two cents
bigmatt

Return to Politics