GOCRA PAC Endorsements

Firearms related political discussion forum

GOCRA PAC Endorsements

Postby ree on Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:41 pm

There have been some recent discussions here about candidates for Sheriff's in a few counties.

Well, GO-PAC/GOCRA-PAC did some candidate outreach recently and got pro-2A pledges from several Sheriff's candidates (some incumbent but challenged) and a metro area county attorney (Anoka). They sent out an eBlast to their mailing list today and posted the endorsements and brief explanation behind them here today.

Summary is:
    Matt Bostrom for Ramsey County Sheriff
    Mitch Scott for Dakota County Sheriff
    Derek Lee for Carver County Sheriff
    Joel Brott for Sherburne County Sheriff (incumbent)
    Rich Stanek for Hennepin County Sheriff (incumbent)
    Tony Palumbo for Anoka County Attorney

If you vote in Anoka, Carver, Dakota, Hennepin, Ramsey, or Sherburne or know people who do and who might want some guidance on how to vote, take a look at the endorsements.
ree

Re: GOCRA PAC Endorsements

Postby RobD on Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:11 am

Thanks REE!
Political Director - MN Gun Owners Caucus/PAC
NRA Instructor (BP, PPITH, PPOTH, Reloading, RSO)
Certified Glock Armorer - Permit to Carry Instructor - Aegis Outdoors
RobD

Postby plblark on Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:32 am

Man is THAT a breath of fresh Air!

http://mitchscottforsheriff.org/OPEN%20LETTER%20FROM%20MITCH%20SCOTT.doc
OPEN LETTER FROM MITCH SCOTT
Upholding the Second Amendment and the Minnesota Citizens Personal Protection Act
October 22, 2010

As an avid hunter and committed law enforcement professional, I have sworn to uphold the Constitutions of the United States and the State of Minnesota. I have also consistently, fairly, and equally supported and enforced the Statutes of the State of Minnesota. Therefore, individual rights such as the right to religion, free speech, due process under the law, to keep and bear arms, or any of the other rights recognized by the Bill of Rights, ought not be subject to the whims of any elected official, including the Sheriff of Dakota County.

The legislature of the State of Minnesota recognizes the Second Amendment of the United States Constitution and guarantees the fundamental, individual right to keep and bear arms. The Minnesota Citizens Personal Protection Act—the law—clarifies these rights for Minnesotans. Regarding the granting and denial of handgun carry permits:

(a) The sheriff must, within 30 days after the date of receipt of the application packet described in subdivision 3:

(1) issue the permit to carry;

(2) deny the application for a permit to carry solely on the grounds that the applicant failed to qualify under the criteria described in subdivision 2, paragraph (b); or

(3) deny the application on the grounds that there exists a substantial likelihood that the applicant is a danger to self or the public if authorized to carry a pistol under a permit.

The law is quite specific and leaves no doubt as to its interpretation. Therefore, as Sheriff, I will issue permits within 30 days to applicants who meet the criteria set forth in subdivision 2, paragraph (b). Denials will be rare and used only for facts that are clearly articulated and related to specific public safety concerns, as prescribed by the statute and never as a political tool, because the people of Dakota County are as responsible and law-abiding as those in the other 86 counties. Under my administration, the Dakota County Sheriff will be consistent with granting permits. A sheriff should not place their own agenda a head of the public.

In addition, Subd. 3 (f) states: The sheriff may charge a new application processing fee in an amount not to exceed the actual and reasonable direct cost of processing the application or $100, whichever is less. Other sheriffs have found that they have been able to lower their permit fees below the maximum. I do not know yet if Dakota County can do the same. However, I will conduct audits to make sure that the fees for permits reflect the actual costs accrued in the process, and that the costs do not unduly burden any citizen, regardless of socioeconomic standing.
private or small grou permit classes available
"I'll take a huge order of fiscal responsibility, a side of small government, hold the religion please. " Paraphrase from Tamara K
RIP 1911Fan
plblark

Postby 45usp45 on Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:44 am

Thanks for the intel.
islam was founded by a violent child molester.
45usp45

Postby ComradeBurg on Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:34 pm

ree wrote:Rich Stanek for Hennepin County Sheriff (incumbent)

I'm not sure about the other counties but I know Stanek is running unopposed. It seems likely he'd get any endorsements being handed out.
Check out my Truth About Guns podcast at http://truthaboutguns.com/

Also check out my blog at http://blog.christopherburg.com/
ComradeBurg

Postby Dick Unger on Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:04 pm

He would have to have made a commitment to get a GOCRA endorsement. I'm pretty sure he did that.
Dick Unger

Postby bstrawse on Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:30 pm

ComradeBurg wrote:
ree wrote:Rich Stanek for Hennepin County Sheriff (incumbent)

I'm not sure about the other counties but I know Stanek is running unopposed. It seems likely he'd get any endorsements being handed out.

GOCRA-PAC endorsed him - others have as well. There's nothing keeping an organization from endorsing someone.

In my mind, whether running unopposed or not - deserving candidates should be endorsed. They will be more likely to support that organizations needs down the road as issues of interest arise.

b
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby ComradeBurg on Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:31 am

Dick Unger wrote:He would have to have made a commitment to get a GOCRA endorsement. I'm pretty sure he did that.

Roger that. I'm often curious about how organizations do their endorsements. Although I would doubt this would be a case with GOCRA some organizations will give an unopposed candidate an endorsement even if that person is so-so on their concerned issue. I just want to make sure that's not the case.
Check out my Truth About Guns podcast at http://truthaboutguns.com/

Also check out my blog at http://blog.christopherburg.com/
ComradeBurg

Postby plblark on Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:00 pm

I see that the GOCRA-PAC added some endorsements:

James Stuart for Anoka County Sheriff:
Stuart has publicly pledged (read it here) to support the rights of Minnesotans under the Second Amendment and the Minnesota Citizens’ Personal Protection Act, and has committed to reexamining the fees the Anoka County Sheriff’s Office charges for carry permit applications.

Tom Emmer for Governor:
Emmer is the only candidate for governor with a pro-gun-rights record. He voted for the Minnesota Citizen’s Personal Protection Act in 2005, and last year introduced the Firearms Freedom Act, which would remove guns and ammunition made and used in Minnesota from federal control. Emmer’s main opponent, Mark Dayton, has consistently voted and advocated for more and more gun control, and a "protest" vote for a third party candidate is far too risky with the stakes this high.

Lori Swanson for Attorney General:
As Minnesota Attorney General, Swanson joined amicus briefs, supporting the individual right to keep and bear arms, in both the Heller and McDonald cases before the U.S. Supreme Court. She took this principled stand in the face of disapproval from many in her party. She walks the walk and talks the talk. - See endorsement letter.

Dan Severson for Secretary of State:
Severson is solid supporter of gun owners. As a state senator, he voted for the Minnesota Citizens’ Personal Protection Act in 2003 and again in 2005. His opponent has a history of supporting anti-gun organizations.

Tony Palumbo for Anoka County Attorney:
Palumbo is a respected member of the legal community with a reputation for fair and just implementation of the law. A GOCRA-PAC board member has personal experience in dealing with Palumbo (as an adversary, as it happens) and came away extremely impressed with Palumbo’s commitment and dedication to justice. - See endorsement letter.

Pat Anderson for State Auditor:
Pat will be a genuine watchdog on State government's collection and expenditure of tax payers' money. She has pledged to investigate irregularities in the Sheriff Departments’ fees and charges associated with permit to carry applications.
"I'll take a huge order of fiscal responsibility, a side of small government, hold the religion please. " Paraphrase from Tamara K
RIP 1911Fan
plblark

Postby JoeH on Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:39 pm

I can see why GOCRA endorsed Swanson for AG given her stance on 2nd Amendment issues. However, I'm concerned about her ACORN ties. I appreciate what she has done for the RKBA. Yet, perhaps Barden would be just as good on RKBA and better in other areas. Thoughts?
Joe
Not a Glock Certified Armorer
JoeH

Postby nyffman on Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:49 am

Barden is rated "AQ" by the NRA. Means that, based on his answers to their questionaire, he would "qualify" for an A rating but doesn't have the history to back it up, yet. Let's give him the chance to build up his A rated creds.
our quarrel is not about the value of freedom per se, but stems from our opinion of our fellow men … a man’s admiration of absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him --Alexis de Tocqueville--
nyffman

Postby plblark on Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:29 am

Here's my personal view on Swanson and the Endorsement:

There's a difference between party politics, personal politics and single issue or narrow issue Political Action Committees

I'm not a fan of Party line voting. My votes tend one way but they're based upone research and experience.
As to personal politics, the ACORN issue, the $749,999.99 settlement and the control of the funds it gave the office, and her continued influence by Hatch are issues.
But for a narrowly focused Gun Rights Political Action Committee, you have to go on the record. And her record is very good.

If you tell politicians: If you support us, we'll support you; If you oppose us, we'll oppose you.
Then you havwe to carry through on both sides of that carrot and stick offer.

It's one thing for someone to support you or do the right thing when it's on their party plank or in their party and constituents' understood beliefs. It's even MORE important to take note when it's not. When someone takes a politically risky stand or action because it's the right thing to do, it's worthy or note and attention. Rewarding that kind of thing pays dividends by encouraging not just that candidate but others to take principaled stands on your issues.

Swanson did the right thing when in office on multiple occasions. She ably represented MN in appealing the MCPPA overturn, and signed onto BOTH amicus briefs for Heller and Miller even though it would not be politically popular with her party or her friends, she did the right thing.
RIP 1911Fan
plblark

Postby bstrawse on Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:08 am

I voted for Swanson this morning - because she's consistently stood up for issues as AG that I care about and has earned my trust and loyalty on those issues.

She was pretty much the only DFL'er that got my vote though...
b
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby RobD on Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:12 am

bstrawse wrote:She was pretty much the only DFL'er that got my vote though...
b

Ditto
Political Director - MN Gun Owners Caucus/PAC
NRA Instructor (BP, PPITH, PPOTH, Reloading, RSO)
Certified Glock Armorer - Permit to Carry Instructor - Aegis Outdoors
RobD

Postby macphisto on Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:43 am

Chuck Wiger (D), state senator from district 55, is NRA-endorsed with an A rating. Anyone know how he voted on the MCPPA (both times)? His opponent, Tami Ekstrand (R), was given AQ.
Last edited by macphisto on Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
macphisto

Next

Return to Politics