MPLS Tribune Sunday Editorial

Firearms related political discussion forum

MPLS Tribune Sunday Editorial

Postby Tabsr on Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:40 pm

The papers view on the casle doctrine bill in Sunday edition.
"Any man who is under 30, and is not a liberal, has not heart; and any man who is over 30, and is not a conservative, has no brains." WINSTON CHURCHILL
Tabsr

Re: MPLS Tribune Sunday Editorial

Postby rtk on Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:44 pm

I saw it early this morning, not surprised by the content.

rtk
The sky is falling, the sky is falling....(Chicken Little)
rtk

Postby rucker on Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:47 pm

http://www.startribune.com/opinion/edit ... 31227.html

Star Tribune Editorial wrote:It's one of the most frightening scenarios imaginable: While enjoying the sanctity of your own home, intruders break in. When that happens, shouldn't you have every right to defend yourself?

Under current Minnesota laws, you can. That's one of several reasons why a proposed change in laws covering self-defense is unnecessary.

Minnesota statutes already indemnify citizens from criminal charges if they wound or kill an intruder inside their home. However, a proposed change would allow the use of deadly force in a garage, a deck, a porch or an occupied car.

The revision would give citizens more legal leeway to shoot or kill anyone they perceive as a threat. On the street or any other public place, there would no longer be an obligation to try to avoid trouble before using a gun in self defense. And the proposal would lower the standard for firing from fear of "great'' harm to fear of "substantial'' harm.

Rep. Tony Cornish, R-Good Thunder, recently introduced the measure, arguing that it's a logical extension of current law. Minnesotans should not "have to be lawyers,'' he says, to determine whether and how they can protect themselves. He contends his bill would give armed law-abiding citizens confidence that they wouldn't be prosecuted for using deadly force.

This is a classic case of proposed legislation in search of a problem. Neither Cornish nor local law enforcement can cite a single case of people wrongly jailed in this state for killing in self defense.

Around the country, the National Rifle Association (NRA) is promoting such extensions of the so-called "Castle Doctrine,'' laws that protect people who use firearms to defend themselves in their homes. NRA leaders believe the laws are needed to prevent crime victims from being prosecuted or jailed. In the last two years, 20 states have enacted laws that allow people to shoot first and ask questions later, if they catch a criminal in their homes.

Nationally and in Minnesota, county attorneys and major police associations rightly oppose that approach. Giving people carte blanche can encourage vigilantes and promote even more gunplay while weakening police powers. According to a state police official, it's unreasonable to support laws that give citizens more authority to use force than cops.

Extending the right to shoot an intruder in a garage, for example, sets the stage for spilling blood or taking a life over property. But the only rationale for employing force that can kill is protection of life and limb. It is indeed a slippery slope when the law could condone killing someone over the theft of a bicycle.

Another unintended consequence could be giving legal cover to real criminals. The proposed legislation would eliminate the duty to retreat and avoid danger if reasonably possible. Prosecutors say that means crimes committed during bar fights or gang shootouts could become more difficult to prove.

A House subcommittee chairman has promised to give the Cornish proposal a hearing this session. But the deadly force change should not advance beyond that stage. Under current gun laws, Minnesotans already have enough legal protection to defend themselves at home or anywhere else.
rucker

Postby JohninMinnesota on Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:51 pm

What a bunch of bull. Good thing the newspapers are becoming inconsquential at this rate. They can't even get the facts straight. This isn't a story, it is hogwash. Other than that, I really like it.
Last edited by JohninMinnesota on Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anger burns and fills with hatred - wreaks havoc on the soul - what goes out comes back three fold - end it now
JohninMinnesota

Postby rucker on Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:51 pm

According to a state police official, it's unreasonable to support laws that give citizens more authority to use force than cops.

There are so many things wrong with this statement. Why is it unreasonable? Because we're just lowly citizens? I mean it's only my life on the line. :roll:
rucker

Postby Aceq2jot on Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:59 pm

rucker wrote:
According to a state police official, it's unreasonable to support laws that give citizens more authority to use force than cops.

There are so many things wrong with this statement. Why is it unreasonable? Because we're just lowly citizens? I mean it's only my life on the line. :roll:

It sound like senstional media reporting to me. The castle doctorine does not gives us any more rights than the police. Just the strib trying to get readers as they are heading out as a news paper, cause the internet is replacing them.
Really i am your worst Nightmare, for i walk the night and the cover of darkness belongs to me :D

You cant make a pile of Dog shat smell like a rose a bunch of Roses, so why try ???
Aceq2jot

Postby GregM on Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:59 pm

Giving people carte blanche can encourage vigilantes and promote even more gunplay while weakening police powers.

This is not a position --- this is hysteria.
FLEE IF YOU CAN. FIGHT IF YOU MUST.
GregM

Postby ttousi on Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:04 pm

GregM wrote:
Giving people carte blanche can encourage vigilantes and promote even more gunplay while weakening police powers.

This is not a position --- this is hysteria.

How much do we have now? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

You need to have some to have more
MN Permit Instructor
http://www.tomtgun.com
NRA Training Counselor/Instructor (Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection)
DNR FAS Instructor

"I am not going to be intimidated by some punk with a moderator button."-darkwolf45
ttousi

Contact Your Reps

Postby Tabsr on Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:05 pm

All, write your state reps and senators with support. Don't let the anti's beat you.
"Any man who is under 30, and is not a liberal, has not heart; and any man who is over 30, and is not a conservative, has no brains." WINSTON CHURCHILL
Tabsr

Return to Politics