Tell Governor Dayton to sign the Stand Your Ground bill

Firearms related political discussion forum

Postby ForeverTwoWheels on Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:28 pm

Heffay wrote:My bet is that he won't sign it or veto it, which I think means it automatically passes. That way he can say he never signed it (and pissing off the police bosses), and no veto means he won't piss off the majority of people who support this.

Yeah but he'll still be blamed by the LEO's for not stopping it. It's getting down to the wire.

I'm trying to be optimistic but the (D) next to his name doesn't give me much hope.
ForeverTwoWheels

Postby ForeverTwoWheels on Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:29 pm

photogpat wrote:
Heffay wrote:My bet is that he won't sign it or veto it, which I think means it automatically passes. That way he can say he never signed it (and pissing off the police bosses), and no veto means he won't piss off the majority of people who support this.

We can only hope.

I think he's made it fairly clear what his plans were from the start. Everything else is hoping people stop paying attention to it by the time he gets around to the veto.

But why not veto it from the beginning then? Three days isn't exactly a long time. If he had a month to sit on it maybe.
ForeverTwoWheels

Re: Tell Governor Dayton to sign the Stand Your Ground bill

Postby photogpat on Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:35 pm

ForeverTwoWheels wrote:But why not veto it from the beginning then? Three days isn't exactly a long time. If he had a month to sit on it maybe.

I agree, but its odd -- I guess thats why I'm no politician, I don't understand the delay.
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby ForeverTwoWheels on Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:35 pm

This might be a better place to keep looking

http://mn.gov/governor/policy/legislation/index.jsp
ForeverTwoWheels

Postby BemidjiDweller on Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:15 pm

I really hope those people who answer the phones at the capital are actually passing on my urges for Dayton to sign.
BemidjiDweller

Postby ForeverTwoWheels on Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:21 pm

BemidjiDweller wrote:I really hope those people who answer the phones at the capital are actually passing on my urges for Dayton to sign.

I hate to be a negative Nancy but I'm sure whatever decision has been made and our calls aren't even being written down. I'm hoping for a "filed without signature" move
ForeverTwoWheels

Postby tman on Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:29 pm

photogpat wrote:
I agree, but its odd -- I guess thats why I'm no politician, I don't understand the delay.

So he can say he took as much time as allowed to consider the issue before deciding.

Sent from my iPhone using that app which shall not be named.
Badged Thug & MN Permit to Carry Instructor
Slowly growing 1911 Glock collection. Donations accepted
tman

Postby jzzr83 on Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:42 pm

I have called multiple times last week and today, never spoke to a person. Every time it was to the voice mail. My local rep for the new district of 56A, Pam Myhra, stopped by my house and when questioned, she voted for it. I also asked her to support a removal of the silencer ban and she said she would most likely do so. I have also used Gov. Dayton's email submission form on his website telling him to vote for it.

The star trib poll as of 4:30pm was 60/40 in favor with 1205 votes.
jzzr83

Postby ForeverTwoWheels on Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:43 pm

Forfeited firearms sale by law enforcement agencies to federally licensed firearms dealers authorization signed

Now the cops can steal your gun and sell it for a profit. While I don't like it they won't be seizing my gun. Hopefully this is a deal so they'll shut up about our bill.
ForeverTwoWheels

Postby jzzr83 on Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:47 pm

I just called again and spoke to a guy, he said the gov has not yet made a decision on hf 1467 but he will before the end of the day. An answer like that makes me nervous.
jzzr83

Postby ForeverTwoWheels on Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:01 pm

Thats been the soundbite. It's 5:00, so???
ForeverTwoWheels

Postby steve4102 on Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:02 pm

ForeverTwoWheels wrote:
photogpat wrote:

We can only hope.

I think he's made it fairly clear what his plans were from the start. Everything else is hoping people stop paying attention to it by the time he gets around to the veto.

But why not veto it from the beginning then? Three days isn't exactly a long time. If he had a month to sit on it maybe.

I try to tell myself that he COULD HAVE vetoed it right away. But then the other part of me kicks in and says he has only waited to give the illusion of being a moderate and reluctantly siding with the LEO's,
steve4102

Postby ForeverTwoWheels on Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:04 pm

Nothing on the legislation section of the website. I'm thinking "filed without signature" which we probably won't hear about until the legislature opens tomorrow
ForeverTwoWheels

Postby george on Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:18 pm

This on the Gov's web sight.

Recent news

Governor Dayton Signs SF1371
March 05, 2012 — Saint Paul – Today, Governor Dayton signed Ch. 127 SF1371, a bill authorizing law enforcement agencies to sell forfeited firearms to federally licensed firearms dealers.

Here is the sight: http://mn.gov/governor/
"If the personal freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution inhibit the government's ability to govern the people, we should look to limit those guarantees."
-- President Bill Clinton, August 12, 1993
george

Postby Heffay on Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:18 pm

Wow, he signed it!

Good work, Governor Dayton! On behalf of all the members of this forum, I thank you for doing the right thing.
To the two forum members who have used lines from my posts as their signatures, can't you quote Jesse Ventura or some other great Minnesotan instead of stealing mine? - LePetomane
Heffay

PreviousNext

Return to Politics