What "Gun Control" measures what you pick? (if you had to)

Firearms related political discussion forum

What "Gun Control" measures what you pick? (if you had to)

Postby Snowgun on Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:49 pm

So, Lets say that due to all of the stuff that has going down, it is a political REALITY that some form of "gun control" legislation is going to get PASSED.

SOMETHING, since the political winds and the make up of the 3 branches make it so that nothing being passed is out of the question.

SO:

What would you support/vote for? Here is a spattering of what has been suggested so far in legislature:

ban transfer or possession of standard capacity magazines, targeting those that hold more than 10 rounds.
    federal regulation of gun shows. This legislation would require background checks on all gun sales at guns shows, and impose addition federal regulations on these traditional local events.
    ban Internet or mail order ammunition purchases, require a federal license for all ammunition sellers and mandate reporting of “bulk” ammo purchases.
    create a national database of people “prohibited” from buying a firearm.
    ban all private firearm transfers.
    establishment of a firearms owner registration system for decades.
    Ban various types of imported weapons
    Various aspects of the assault weapons ban
    Outlaw GLOCKS

Personally I agree with the last one. 8-)

My opinion is that if you come to the table with something you are willing to give up (that doesn't make a god damn bit of difference anyway, like national database of people who are forbidding to buy a firearm), then it will play out as essentially a defensive legislation move. I have seen what happens when you don't come to the table at all and the wind is blowing to legislate something (see the medical device tax, med tech didn't come to the table and now is paying the piper, pharma came to the table is is sitting pretty).
Victory is reserved for those who are willing to pay its price. - Sun Tzu

The Way is in training... Do nothing which is not of value. - Miyamato Musashi

One who knows the Self puts death to death. - Upanishads
Snowgun
Events Coordinator

Re: What "Gun Control" measures what you pick? (if you had to)

Postby TTS on Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:54 pm

The only change I would like to see is an opening of the NCIS system to non-dealers. I would feel better about a F2F purchase if I was able to run a background check on the buyer.

With that said, I have no illusion that it will do anything measurable to curb gun crime.
Owner
Tactical Training Solutions
Specializing in Self Defense and Firearms Training
http://www.minnesotaccw.com
TTS

Postby Mn01r6 on Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:01 pm

Things that merely annoy but don't cost anything and don't prohibit anything. That is what I would settle for.

But none of it will stop bad guys from getting guns.
Mn01r6

Postby Rotary12 on Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:02 pm

I would repeal ALL gun laws. I will not stand by and let a tyrannical government rule me. We have the right to keep and bear arms to prevent this type of government take over of our country.
Rotary12

Liberate the U.S.
Support the Constitution
Remember 19 April 1775
Rotary12

Postby Snowgun on Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:22 pm

Rotary12 wrote:I would repeal ALL gun laws. I will not stand by and let a tyrannical government rule me. We have the right to keep and bear arms to prevent this type of government take over of our country.

So for example, you would repeal ALL laws so that ANYONE should be allowed to own a gun?

Snowgun
Events Coordinator

Postby The Lance on Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:33 pm

Make it mandatory to require a nics check for every sale period.
I'm not down with the republican party, or the democratic party. I represent the MI6
The Lance

Postby Snowgun on Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:37 pm

The Lance wrote:Make it mandatory to require a nics check for every sale period.

I'm kinda leaning toward this one as well. I don't see the downside really, especially if private sales can happen because non ffl's can do the nics checks.

Like when you sell a car, you have to do the title thing (yes I know this is because the vehicle is registered, and that would be bad with guns, but i'm trying to say that a controlled transfer with a nics check could be done between private parties).

Snowgun
Events Coordinator

Postby bstrawse on Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:47 pm

Snowgun wrote:
The Lance wrote:Make it mandatory to require a nics check for every sale period.

I'm kinda leaning toward this one as well. I don't see the downside really, especially if private sales can happen because non ffl's can do the nics checks.

Like when you sell a car, you have to do the title thing (yes I know this is because the vehicle is registered, and that would be bad with guns, but i'm trying to say that a controlled transfer with a nics check could be done between private parties).

I can live with this. I'm still going to fight it.

But a hi-cap magazine ban (again) or yet another AWB - I am going to be extremely unhappy about.
b
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby xd ED on Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:54 pm

Having not thought about it too much, I wonder: How do you verify the NICS check was done without tracking ownership?
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby mc762x54R on Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:55 pm

bstrawse wrote:
Snowgun wrote:

I can live with this. I'm still going to fight it.

But a hi-cap magazine ban (again) or yet another AWB - I am going to be extremely unhappy about.
b

Ditto that - additional background checks would have little to no effect on me
Mag bans and style of gun bans are 100% unacceptable to me
How come this hag in Kalifornia isnt talking about stiffer penalties for gun crimes? Oh wait - that would incarcerate their voters for too long
mc762x54R

Postby Snowgun on Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:59 pm

xd ED wrote:

Having not thought about it too much, I wonder: How do you verify the NICS check was done without tracking ownership?

The same way they do when a FFL does when for that gun you purchased over the internet i guess. Your FFL could just give you the gun right? Your info is ran but you don't get tracked as an owner right? (i'm just spitballing here, not really sure)

I'm not totally informed as to how this whole thing works, but I would imagine that it would be the same way an FFL does it, and make it required that the parties have to retain a personal receipt of the sale in case of an audit.

Snowgun
Events Coordinator

Postby xd ED on Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:13 pm

Snowgun wrote:
xd ED wrote:

The same way they do when a FFL does when for that gun you purchased over the internet i guess. Your FFL could just give you the gun right? Your info is ran but you don't get tracked as an owner right? (i'm just spitballing here, not really sure)

I'm not totally informed as to how this whole thing works, but I would imagine that it would be the same way an FFL does it, and make it required that the parties have to retain a personal receipt of the sale in case of an audit.

As it is now, the paper trail for the firearm stops at the FFL. If an authority tracks a gun: serial number leads to mfgr, paper trail leads to distributer, to a FFL, he(FFL) either has to produce the gun or the 4473.
Do you really want to be responsible for maintaining similar paperwork with the attendant penalties for not having it all in order when someone knocks at your door.
An optional NICS check, used as a tool in the way many want to see permits now, might be acceptable...
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby sgruenhagen44 on Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:29 pm

I think I might die if I couldn't order ammo or reloading components off the internet... :cry:
sgruenhagen44

Postby GunClasses.Net on Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:00 am

Once a right is denied, people adapt to the new norm.

Look today! Nobody is fighting for the right to buy a handgun from a catalog to have it shipped to their doorstep by the mailman, without a background check. Nobody is fighting for the right to buy full auto without a tax stamp and special license. Only a few generations ago, that was all ok.

As we now take OUR turn to give in, the next generation will normalize the restriction and then compromise more... repeating the process and pushing society into further restrictions ... step ... by step ... by step ... every gen gives a little more...

In another couple generations, we won't recognize freedom in America any more than our grandparents would recognize what we call "freedom" today!

I may shoot or own a different kind of gun than you do.... but... If you don't protect my gun rights today, I may be unable to defend yours tomorrow when the gun haters move down on their list for the NEXT compromise.
See us for gun training and resources at http://gunclasses.net and http://mnconcealedcarry.com

We also recommend Krav Maga, by IKMF-certified instructors: http://www.kravmagampls.com
GunClasses.Net

Re: What

Postby t140 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:07 am

GunClasses.Net wrote:Once a right is denied, people adapt to the new norm.

Look today! Nobody is fighting for the right to buy a handgun from a catalog to have it shipped to their doorstep by the mailman, without a background check. Nobody is fighting for the right to buy full auto without a tax stamp and special license. Only a few generations ago, that was all ok.

As we now take OUR turn to give in, the next generation will normalize the restriction and then compromise more... repeating the process and pushing society into further restrictions ... step ... by step ... by step ... every gen gives a little more...

In another couple generations, we won't recognize freedom in America any more than our grandparents would recognize what we call "freedom" today!

I may shoot or own a different kind of gun than you do.... but... If you don't protect my gun rights today, I may be unable to defend yours tomorrow when the gun haters move down on their list for the NEXT compromise.

Well said.

ZERO compromise. I am not willing to give up inalienable human rights that our forefathers paid for with blood.

Not even that long ago, my grandpa was on a ship in the Pacific fighting for what I have now. I will not let any piece of what he went through go to waste.
t140

Next

Return to Politics