So... MN Assault Weapons Ban?

Firearms related political discussion forum

Postby American Capitalist on Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:54 pm

Apparently this recently became a thing. Our state has tended to lean anti-gun in the past and I'm somewhat unsure about the present. Is this going to turn out like the national assault weapons ban and have a tough time passing or like the New York ban and get jammed through as quickly as possible?
American Capitalist

Re: So... MN Assault Weapons Ban?

Postby bstrawse on Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:00 am

American Capitalist wrote:Apparently this recently became a thing. Our state has tended to lean anti-gun in the past and I'm somewhat unsure about the present. Is this going to turn out like the national assault weapons ban and have a tough time passing or like the New York ban and get jammed through as quickly as possible?

Committee hearings next week, I would expect a larger gun bill to be voted on a few weeks later.

Best source of information - signup for the GOCRA e-mail alerts at http://gocra.org
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby whiteox on Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:34 am

If such a ban is put in place, I lay the blame squarely at the feet of the clowns who put gay marriage and voter id on the ballot. Without those two issues there is no way BOTH the MN house and senate go all Democratic at the same time.

It was a classic overplaying of their hand, and I can only hope that DFL'ers can learn from their mistake and moderate themselves, but I have serious doubts.
whiteox

Postby thunderoussilence on Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:23 am

Feel free to send all weapons to my ark that will be anchored in international waters. LOL
thunderoussilence

Postby TTS on Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:49 am

whiteox wrote:If such a ban is put in place, I lay the blame squarely at the feet of the clowns who put gay marriage and voter id on the ballot. Without those two issues there is no way BOTH the MN house and senate go all Democratic at the same time.

It was a classic overplaying of their hand, and I can only hope that DFL'ers can learn from their mistake and moderate themselves, but I have serious doubts.

Really? Give it up. Those measures passed in almost every state they were voted on even Commiefornia.

The issue is our crappy Republican Party in Minnesota... They can't even pay their rent half the time!
Owner
Tactical Training Solutions
Specializing in Self Defense and Firearms Training
http://www.minnesotaccw.com
TTS

Postby photogpat on Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:54 am

Stay focused on the current issue, this is getting bigger by the day. Commander in Chief comes to town to rile up the faithful, Dem. Reps/Senators hold "Townhall Forums" on Gun "Violence", and they have a catchy new title for their legislation "Mass Killing Prevention" Bill. They're throwing a ton of weight behind this in MN - we can tease and taunt, but we need the bodies to back up the wide support we actually have in MN.

We all need to stick together NOW. Its not a partisan issue, its a rights issue. We can bicker about blame later.
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby panzerr on Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:00 am

Scary ****, with a democratic house, senate and governor.

Write, email and call your reps. Show up at the hearsings. Sign and pass on this petition:

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/mngunlegislation/
panzerr

Postby goaliemn on Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:11 am

whiteox wrote:If such a ban is put in place, I lay the blame squarely at the feet of the clowns who put gay marriage and voter id on the ballot. Without those two issues there is no way BOTH the MN house and senate go all Democratic at the same time.

they did it to get the voters into the polls.. it worked, just not quite how they thought it would.
http://www.mncarrytraining.com
Minnesota Carry Permit Instructor
Check my website for class schedule and fees.
goaliemn

Postby American Capitalist on Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:05 pm

If this crap passes, the house will lose its majority in 2014. Fortunately Dayton isn't as passionately (hatefully) against guns like Cuomo. Dayton doesn't have a guaranteed chance of re-election and will be much more cautious than the rest of our pinhead politicians.
American Capitalist

Postby JustPlainT on Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:47 pm

TTS wrote:Really? Give it up. Those measures passed in almost every state they were voted on even Commiefornia.

The issue is our crappy Republican Party in Minnesota... They can't even pay their rent half the time!

This. I seriously expected them to pass, because it's passed just about everywhere.

Moving on....

The real answer to fight this is to start contacting your state rep/state senator. Let them know how Minnesota really feels about this issue. Then repeat at least once a week.

Get your friends to do the same. Fill up their mailboxes with pro-gun messages.

They want to stay in power. No way they'll vote for an AWB if they see they're going to lose their job over it.
Midwest Defense Institute, LLC
Quality Training at an Affordable Cost
JustPlainT

Postby Dan88Iroc on Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:36 pm

I am very nervous that MN may pass some sort of gun control legislation. My speculation is that they are bringing Obama here to try to rally a few of the dems that are 'on the fence.' Of course that is purely speculation on my part.

I emailed my representative and he has assured me that he will not vote for any gun control legislation. I hope there are enough reps that feel this way to block anything that gets introduced.
Dan88Iroc

Postby 301spartan on Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:22 pm

This is a double whammy.national ban and a local ban. Now Obama.a true 300 spartan battle I'm in.
301spartan

Postby photogpat on Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:40 pm

Support some of your state .orgs that are fighting on your behalf.

http://www.gocra.org is working hard this year already....and the fight hasn't even started yet.

Also...if you can spare a morning or afternoon next week...supportive bodies are needed at the Capitol during the hearings. Show up and watch the supporters of gun control in the state!

Pat
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby adoptedson on Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:00 pm

Dan88Iroc wrote:I am very nervous that MN may pass some sort of gun control legislation. My speculation is that they are bringing Obama here to try to rally a few of the dems that are 'on the fence.' Of course that is purely speculation on my part.

I emailed my representative and he has assured me that he will not vote for any gun control legislation. I hope there are enough reps that feel this way to block anything that gets introduced.

No need to speculate, that's exactly why the president is coming.

I wish my reps would have responded as yours did.

The President is bringing the fight right to our doorstep.

Get ready people.
adoptedson

Postby American Capitalist on Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:27 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/31/nyreg ... .html?_r=0

Cuomo's approval rating dropped from 74% to 59%. Dayton's approval rating is hovering just above 50%. He is really going to have to think this one through.
American Capitalist

Next

Return to Politics