Senate Judiciary chair rejects Dianne Feinstein’s AWB

Firearms related political discussion forum

Senate Judiciary chair rejects Dianne Feinstein’s AWB

Postby optimusglen on Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:29 am

http://blog.sfgate.com/nov05election/20 ... apons-ban/

first few paragraphs
The Democratic chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee did not endorse colleague Dianne Feinstein’s assault weapons ban at a packed Capitol Hill hearing on guns Wednesday in the wake of the Newtown, Conn., shooting.

Sen. Patrick Leahy, D-Vt., called for “common sense reform,” that closes loopholes in current gun laws and enforces background checks. Buthe did not endorse Feinstein’s tougher ban. “I know gun store owners in Vermont,” Leahy said. “They follow the law and conduct background checks…why should we not try to plug the loopholes in the law that allow (criminals and the mentally ill) to buy guns without background checks?”

The rebuffed California Democrat plans to hold her own hearing in her Judiciary subcommittee on her legislation, which is strongly opposed by the National Rifle Association. Senate majority leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., has also refused to back a ban on military-style weapons and high-capacity clips. Reid’s position reflects the political fact that a whole bevy of conservative Democrats do not support Feinstein’s ban.
optimusglen

Re: Senate Judiciary chair rejects Dianne Feinstein’s AWB

Postby hoel6466 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:51 am

Good hopefully she will take a hint and resign. We couldn't be that lucky, could we?
hoel6466

Postby JustPlainT on Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:58 am

If Reid is truly against it, then we have a really good chance at crushing this for good.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Majority Leader have a big say in what bills get voted on and which go to never never land to die quietly in the corner?
Midwest Defense Institute, LLC
Quality Training at an Affordable Cost
JustPlainT

Postby jdege on Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:06 am

JustPlainT wrote:If Reid is truly against it, then we have a really good chance at crushing this for good.

The AWB, yes. But I'm still seeing way to much of "why should we not try to plug the loopholes in the law that allow (criminals and the mentally ill) to buy guns without background checks?”

Every proposal I've seen to "plug the loopholes" involves creating a paper trail for every lawful firearms transfer - and we simply cannot allow that.
jdege

Postby 3Spaniels on Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:09 am

JustPlainT wrote:If Reid is truly against it, then we have a really good chance at crushing this for good.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Majority Leader have a big say in what bills get voted on and which go to never never land to die quietly in the corner?

You might recall that Mr. Reid has prevented a small piece of legislation from ever being brought to a vote for three years now. That bill, called the budget, has been passed by the House of Representatives. Yes, I would say he controls the business of the Senate. :D
This ain't Dodge City and you ain't Bill Hickok-Matthew Quiggley
3Spaniels

Postby JustPlainT on Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:15 am

jdege wrote:The AWB, yes. But I'm still seeing way to much of "why should we not try to plug the loopholes in the law that allow (criminals and the mentally ill) to buy guns without background checks?”

Every proposal I've seen to "plug the loopholes" involves creating a paper trail for every lawful firearms transfer - and we simply cannot allow that.

Oh, I don't mean to suggest it's over. Far from it. But we do have a good chance at stopping everything. One step at a time.
Midwest Defense Institute, LLC
Quality Training at an Affordable Cost
JustPlainT

Return to Politics