Compromise: Trade Universal Checks for Serial Numbers

Firearms related political discussion forum

Compromise: Trade Universal Checks for Serial Numbers

Postby clauwitz on Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:00 pm

I would like to put forth a proposal and see what everyone thinks about it. The liberals always talk about compromise as they get just some of what they want instead of all of it (at least that's how it seems to me). Well, how about we propose an actual compromise: change the law to remove make, model, and serial number from ATF 4473s and require a background check for all firearms transactions. Additionally, somehow make the background check system open to more businesses (not just FFL licensed dealers), thereby increasing competition for the "service" of doing a background check. This way the gun-grabbers get more background checks, but we get fewer places our serial numbers are recorded.
clauwitz

Re: Compromise: Trade Universal Checks for Serial Numbers

Postby kollector03 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:23 pm

Your chasing a solution to an non-problem.

So give them background checks. OK, so what do you propose to give up when they come back and say that the universal background check is not good enough to solve the problem of evil people committing evil acts?

I'm for enforcing the laws that we currently have. Take the money were pissing away to propose new laws and build some prisons to house the criminals for the length of their sentence rather than releasing them to the street after 1/4 of their sentence is up.

If you are convicted of a crime and sentenced to 20 years in prison, well then you should serve the 20 years.

Problem solved
kollector03

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:55 pm

Pretty certain we compromised in '34 and '68. At some point ya gotta tell the ex to go pound sand.
Holland&Holland

Postby MXGreg on Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:07 pm

A compromise is when both sides give something up. The gun ban people aren't giving anything up, they're just not getting as much as they want.
MXGreg

Postby EllisW on Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:51 pm

How about we don't give up anything? How about they get nothing? No compromise, no retreat, no surrender.

and please find a better way to refer to the opposition than "the liberals." I consider myself very socially liberal and I hate the Left in this country just as much as the Right. There are plenty of liberals who aren't total wingnuts like the nutbars trying to ban whatever scares them each week.
Last edited by EllisW on Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EllisW

Postby AgAuTHORITY on Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:50 pm

EllisW wrote:How about we don't give up anything? How about they get nothing?

Not good enough, let me correct it, "How about we don't give up anything? How about they give us suppressors"

Ag
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln
AgAuTHORITY

Postby XDM45 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:28 pm

No effing way.

Surrender nothing because everything is at stake.

On a somewhat-related note, it looks like the feds are going after our privacy as well - http://cispaisback.com/
Gnothi Seauton
XDM45

Postby Li'l Beaver on Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:01 pm

clauwitz wrote:I would like to put forth a proposal and see what everyone thinks about it. The liberals always talk about compromise as they get just some of what they want instead of all of it (at least that's how it seems to me). Well, how about we propose an actual compromise: change the law to remove make, model, and serial number from ATF 4473s and require a background check for all firearms transactions. Additionally, somehow make the background check system open to more businesses (not just FFL licensed dealers), thereby increasing competition for the "service" of doing a background check. This way the gun-grabbers get more background checks, but we get fewer places our serial numbers are recorded.

No way Jose! What part of "shall not be infringed" do you not understand?
Li'l Beaver

Postby EllisW on Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:53 pm

AgAuTHORITY wrote:Not good enough, let me correct it, "How about we don't give up anything? How about they give us suppressors"

Ag

It would be a dream come true, but I fear it will remain a dream for a long time to come. :( My sbr is loud. :(
EllisW

Postby St. Olaf on Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:07 am

There will be a compromise, but we won't have any control over it.

It will just happen, and probably quickly, at the end of this.

If we're lucky enough to get by with background checks on all gun sales except to family as our new infringements, I'll be relieved.

Maybe if we can raise public awareness and make enough noise about the fact that the "Grandfathering" of what they call "Assault Weapons" only until the death of the owner is just delayed CONFISCATION.....maybe we can head that off.

I hope so.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will end up plowing for those who didn't.
St. Olaf

Postby ex-LT on Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:53 am

Holland&Holland wrote:Pretty certain we compromised in '34 and '68.

And again with the Lautenberg Act, and again with the Brady Bill, (etc, etc ad nauseam).
DNR Certified Firearms Safety Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Rifle, and Shotgun
NRA Endowment Life Member
MN Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Member Post 435 Gun Club
ex-LT
Inspector Gadget

Postby ex-LT on Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:56 am

Here's a good read on the subject of compromise as it pertains to the Second Amendment and gun rights.....

Lawdog Files 1/25/13

I hear a lot about "compromise" from the gun-control camp ... except, it's not compromise.

Allow me to illustrate:

Let's say I have this cake. It is a very nice cake, with "GUN RIGHTS" written across the top in lovely floral icing. Along you come and say, "Give me that cake."

I say, "No, it's my cake."

You say, "Let's compromise. Give me half." I respond by asking what I get out of this compromise, and you reply that I get to keep half of my cake.

Okay, we compromise. Let us call this compromise The National Firearms Act of 1934.

This leaves me with half of my cake and there I am, enjoying my cake when you walk back up and say, "Give me that cake."

I say -- again: "No, it's my cake."

You say, "Let's compromise." What do I get out of this compromise? Why, I get to keep half of what's left of the cake I already own.

So, we compromise -- let us call this one the Gun Control Act of 1968 -- and this time I'm left holding what is now just a quarter of my cake.

And I'm sitting in the corner with my quarter piece of cake, and here you come again. You want my cake. Again.

This time you take several bites -- we'll call this compromise the Clinton Executive Orders -- and I'm left with about a tenth of what has always been MY DAMN CAKE and you've got nine-tenths of it.

Let me restate that: I started out with MY CAKE and you have already 'compromised' me out of ninety percent of MY CAKE ...
DNR Certified Firearms Safety Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Rifle, and Shotgun
NRA Endowment Life Member
MN Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Member Post 435 Gun Club
ex-LT
Inspector Gadget

Postby bstrawse on Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:58 am

I'll make it simple: No.

Stop conceding ground.
b
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby clauwitz on Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:26 pm

EllisW wrote:and please find a better way to refer to the opposition than "the liberals." I consider myself very socially liberal and I hate the Left in this country just as much as the Right. There are plenty of liberals who aren't total wingnuts like the nutbars trying to ban whatever scares them each week.

Yeah, I usually try to avoid one word labels because they are generally not meaningful. I started out saying Democrats, but I figured that was too targeted. I guess I should have said "gun-grabbers" but it's not always the gun-grabbers that are screaming compromise and then give nothing up...

So, getting rid of serial numbers for transfers of ANY type (including ones through an FFL dealer) would not be worth completing a background check for all transfers? Even if the private party transfer background checks would be nearly unenforceable, since there's no serial number recorded at the transfer?
clauwitz

Postby St. Olaf on Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:43 pm

Gun-haters might be an accurate term, but anti-gun will serve better.

Anything that demonizes the opposition in any emotive way is going to work against you.

We're not alone here, so I've been trying to to just say I'm angry and deadly determined, but not trash the anti-gun folks in any way.

Why intensify THEIR anger and determination? I'm sure a lot of them get even more fired up when jabbed, so why jab them?
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will end up plowing for those who didn't.
St. Olaf

Next

Return to Politics