My Correspondence With The Chaska Police Department

Firearms related political discussion forum

Re: My Correspondence With The Chaska Police Department

Postby Paul on Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:30 am

bigbob wrote:Hi Paul Bob down here in AZ. I lived up in MN for 62 yrs and unlike our police force here, I am sure the boys in blue are trying to be POLITICALLY CORRECT to please the gov boys. Think of AZ, it is NICE down here for body & mind. I sure as heck like it, I sell my firearms, FFL, with no problems, go 3 miles north and can shoot WHATEVER I PLEASE, WHEN I PLEASE. As you probably have read in the news, OUR sheriff, Joe, is 100% on the 2nd ammendment side and he just bought ALL his officers NEW AR-15's. Well, to make a long story short I posted your problem on the national Ruger forum and the National Smith & Wesson forum also. Lets see if, hopefully 1000 e-mails will make their position known at this Chaska police dept. What happens in MINN makes a difference to ALL of us Bob

Thanks for the support Bob!

My wife and I have talked at length about moving down south again. I've been to Arizona, and like it quite a bit. She has family in Austin, TX so I suspect we would lean towards that area.
Paul

Postby Heffay on Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:12 am

Paul wrote:
bigbob wrote:Hi Paul Bob down here in AZ. I lived up in MN for 62 yrs and unlike our police force here, I am sure the boys in blue are trying to be POLITICALLY CORRECT to please the gov boys. Think of AZ, it is NICE down here for body & mind. I sure as heck like it, I sell my firearms, FFL, with no problems, go 3 miles north and can shoot WHATEVER I PLEASE, WHEN I PLEASE. As you probably have read in the news, OUR sheriff, Joe, is 100% on the 2nd ammendment side and he just bought ALL his officers NEW AR-15's. Well, to make a long story short I posted your problem on the national Ruger forum and the National Smith & Wesson forum also. Lets see if, hopefully 1000 e-mails will make their position known at this Chaska police dept. What happens in MINN makes a difference to ALL of us Bob

Thanks for the support Bob!

My wife and I have talked at length about moving down south again. I've been to Arizona, and like it quite a bit. She has family in Austin, TX so I suspect we would lean towards that area.

AZ cops are the worst. I prefer our criminals to be behind bars, not behind badges. Maricopa county's legal budget is one of the highest in the nation, from all the shenanigans the sheriff tries to pull off. Just a huge waste of money and resources. Arpaio is less about being a sheriff than a pseudo-celebrity. I hope he gets recalled.

The Posse is a joke too. Bunch of inbreds who couldn't become real cops because of their criminal histories.
To the two forum members who have used lines from my posts as their signatures, can't you quote Jesse Ventura or some other great Minnesotan instead of stealing mine? - LePetomane
Heffay

Postby MNGunGuy on Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:57 am

farmerj wrote:
Paul wrote:
farmerj wrote:I will have to search it out, but isn't it in the public records laws from the state, social media are not able to filter things like that.

Basically, in censorship

I thought that too and have been checking into it. Any insight would be appreciated.

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=13.03

13.03 ACCESS TO GOVERNMENT DATA.
Subdivision 1.Public data. All government data collected, created, received, maintained or disseminated by a government entity shall be public unless classified by statute, or temporary classification pursuant to section 13.06, or federal law, as nonpublic or protected nonpublic, or with respect to data on individuals, as private or confidential. The responsible authority in every government entity shall keep records containing government data in such an arrangement and condition as to make them easily accessible for convenient use. Photographic, photostatic, microphotographic, or microfilmed records shall be considered as accessible for convenient use regardless of the size of such records.

I got into a similar pissin' match with a PAO officer on the MPD facebook page. Whatn I presented this and some other stuff, suddenly, I was dealing with a different officer and things were no longer disappearing.

That statute means nothing if they've classified the data posted on social media websites as not business related or transient. I work for a government agency and we use the same type of terminology to cover conversations we have via instant messaging (IM) and voicemail that's not logged or saved in any way. This process was singed off not only by our legal team but the State legal folks as well.
MNGunGuy

Postby 20mm on Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:39 am

Paul wrote:I'm well aware of his position.

Position as a police chief, not as an anti-gun advocate.

Paul wrote:
DoxaPar wrote:
...but please note this is a moderated..

Moderated = We will delete whatever we want.

Pretty much. Anything that makes us look bad or we don't agree with.

Seems similar to forums like this, but with the exception that they're representing a public office/department with their views.

MNGunGuy wrote:That statute means nothing if they've classified the data posted on social media websites as not business related or transient. I work for a government agency and we use the same type of terminology to cover conversations we have via instant messaging (IM) and voicemail that's not logged or saved in any way. This process was singed off not only by our legal team but the State legal folks as well.

You work for a government agency and don't believe your IM's or voicemails are logged or saved in any way? Just wait till an attorney subpenas server backup tapes, or the government itself is investigating an issue. Departments try to classify information so they don't have to provide it in FOIA requests, etc... but that all breaks down when it's found the data was inappropriately classified, or contains business related information.
"Go 20mm" - Sigfan220
""Real men shoot 20mm." - FJ540
"If I could be reincarnated as a fabric, I would come back as a 38 double-D bra." - Jesse Ventura
20mm

Postby MNGunGuy on Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:23 pm

20mm wrote:You work for a government agency and don't believe your IM's or voicemails are logged or saved in any way? Just wait till an attorney subpenas server backup tapes, or the government itself is investigating an issue. Departments try to classify information so they don't have to provide it in FOIA requests, etc... but that all breaks down when it's found the data was inappropriately classified, or contains business related information.

I don't need to wait. I was personally subpoenaed to testify in court about the data my agency had after what was most likely the biggest disaster in Minnesota state government happened on August 1, 2007. I'm also a Systems Architect for said agency and either designed myself or had influence in the design of the systems that not only hold the majority of the data but also deal with data retention. I'd say I have a very good understanding of what's capable of being saved, what is saved and what is supplied to people when requested. I also have a very good understanding of the litigation hold process from an IT prospective and how it applies to data we previously had and data created ongoing.
MNGunGuy

Postby 20mm on Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:43 pm

MNGunGuy wrote:I don't need to wait. I was personally subpoenaed to testify in court about the data my agency had after what was most likely the biggest disaster in Minnesota state government happened on August 1, 2007. I'm also a Systems Architect for said agency and either designed myself or had influence in the design of the systems that not only hold the majority of the data but also deal with data retention. I'd say I have a very good understanding of what's capable of being saved, what is saved and what is supplied to people when requested. I also have a very good understanding of the litigation hold process from an IT prospective and how it applies to data we previously had and data created ongoing.

Yeah you're above reproach. Got it.
"Go 20mm" - Sigfan220
"If I could be reincarnated as a fabric, I would come back as a 38 double-D bra." - Jesse Ventura
20mm

Postby Heffay on Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:58 pm

20mm wrote:
MNGunGuy wrote:I don't need to wait. I was personally subpoenaed to testify in court about the data my agency had after what was most likely the biggest disaster in Minnesota state government happened on August 1, 2007. I'm also a Systems Architect for said agency and either designed myself or had influence in the design of the systems that not only hold the majority of the data but also deal with data retention. I'd say I have a very good understanding of what's capable of being saved, what is saved and what is supplied to people when requested. I also have a very good understanding of the litigation hold process from an IT prospective and how it applies to data we previously had and data created ongoing.

Yeah you're above reproach. Got it.

You got schooled, and are now pouting?
To the two forum members who have used lines from my posts as their signatures, can't you quote Jesse Ventura or some other great Minnesotan instead of stealing mine? - LePetomane
Heffay

Postby MNGunGuy on Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:04 pm

20mm wrote:Yeah you're above reproach. Got it.

Not at all. I simply stated why you were incorrect and provided background to back it up.
MNGunGuy

Postby 20mm on Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:13 pm

So you're telling me no one at MnDot archives data on their personal machines because of mailbox limits?
"Go 20mm" - Sigfan220
20mm

Postby MNGunGuy on Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:13 pm

20mm wrote:So you're telling me no one at MnDot archives data on their personal machines because of mailbox limits?

How did mail get brought in to this? The two mediums of communication I commented on were IM and voice in which you were convinced I was incorrect with my statements. I told you why your assumptions were wrong and now you've decided to change it over to mail? Mail is an entirely different subject as it's intended for business use, i.e. the making of business related decisions. Voice and IM are not (by policy).

That's all I have to say about the subject. If you feel any of this is incorrect you can place a data request for written policy surrounding the use of electronic communication.

EDIT: Looks like some information around Lync (used for IM) is avaliable on the public website. Note the following:
While useful for informal conversations, Gotham noted that Lync is not intended for documenting MnDOT business decisions since it doesn't archive conversations...

http://www.newsline.dot.state.mn.us/arc ... 23.html#Z4
MNGunGuy

Postby gp55445 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:34 pm

greenfarmer wrote:Was at the local sportsmans club meeting last night, and after the meeting i was talking with one of the members who is a police officer in Glencoe, and it was quite an interesting chat we had. He said the police chief in Glencoe, and the McLeod county sheriff won't comment on any ban. They won't even say which way they lean towards to their peers. But he did say, that the sheriff said that the sheriff of said county might actually have more control over a federal agent. And that if anything would pass, it's up to the sheriff department to decide if they want to confiscate guns, or not. Or if they would even allow a federal agent into the county to do that. I guess that is something the sheriff has been looking into according to him. Which if the sheriff is looking into it, i'm guessing that's an indication that the sheriff wants nothing to do with a gun ban.

The police officer i talked to said... "We don't have a gun problem out here, we don't have a magazine problem. We have a people problem." he also told me that he has more "AR mags, that are preban than most people need to know about" Which gave me a good chuckle. I even tried to buy them off of him!

I told him i think we could somehow use a stronger background check, or maybe something in place at gun shows. He felt gun shows do need something, but he said how to do you strengthen a background check? That doesn't really stop bad people from getting guns. A person that is a little wacko can still pass the background check because he never broke a law. But he might have intentions to break some in the future. He said the hard part is, the illegal guns that come here. They can't stop that or regulate that. Because we have Seneca foods here in glencoe, there's alot of migrant workers here. Every summer they come up in boat loads, and he said how do you stop them from bringing in illegal guns? you just can't. There's no telling where they picked something up and what they picked up on their way here from south of the border. That's the scary part he said. WHich i totally agree with.

I was in a class a few weeks ago with the Sheriff of McLeod. While I didn't ask him specifically about the topic, my impression was he is a 2A guy. :D
gp55445

Postby sgruenhagen44 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:03 pm

At the last two dealerships I have worked at they monitor all IMs emails. And currently phone calls are monitored.
sgruenhagen44

Postby farmerj on Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:11 pm

I used to work for MN/DOT long enough to realize.

If you don't want your information public, don't use a state computer.

Same with the army guard. Including Army Knowledge Online.
We reap what we sow. In our case, we have sown our government.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Postby Lisa on Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:33 pm

I am not a gun person but I am a rights person so my husband and I went to Chaska to hear the "debate" between Chief Knight and the Sheriff of Carver county. It was pretty interesting and the majority of the crowd were 2 amendment folks. After the event, I went to talk to Chief Knight asking his thoughts on why if a law against murder or assault are not working and what makes him think one more law would make a difference. He promptly told me, less people would die. Then the fun part started. I ask him to apply the same logic regarding alcohol and kitchen knives because far more people are killed with them than "assault" weapons and no one really "needs" them. So applying the same logic we should ban them also. He told me he likes to have a drink, I said "my son likes shooting" (not people). He told me they were not trying to ban guns just stop making them. He was totally unaware of bills 241 and 242 in the MN house (which I explained to him). He quickly dismissed me and was very condescending to an old lady!!!

Keep the pressure up. We can not let them win this one. I am friends with some fo the Minnesota legislatures and they said keep writing and calling.
Lisa

My Correspondence With The Chaska Police Department

Postby Jreinan01 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:36 pm

Way to go Mom!!! Keep the pressure on them!
Jreinan01

PreviousNext

Return to Politics