My Correspondence With The Chaska Police Department

Firearms related political discussion forum

My Correspondence With The Chaska Police Department

Postby Paul on Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:57 am

To make a long story short, Chaska PD posted on Facebook that Chief Knight will be participating in gun control discussions. I asked what his position was on the topic. I was ignored. I waited a few days before following up with no response and even sent a private message to the page. Today I saw that my posts were deleted - I still have not received a response.

I sent the following e-mail to the publicly listed page administrator, and copied the police department, mayor and city council members. Below is the content of the e-mail.

Ms. Schneck,

I obtained your e-mail address from the link below, which is the policy regarding the the City of Chaska Police Department's Facebook page.

http://www.chaskamn.com/police/411/Face ... policy.pdf

On February 4th, the following story was posted to your Facebook page.

http://www.facebook.com/ChaskaPoliceDep ... 7657736510

It's a story regarding Chief Knight's participation in a discussion on gun control. I replied to the story and asked where Chief Knight's stood on the topic. I'm a firearms instructor, hunter, and gun enthusiast. Obviously the recent discussions and legislation have been of great importance to me, which is what prompted my question in response to your story.

I received no response to my question. A couple of days later I posted again, giving the benefit of the doubt that it was possibly missed by person(s) responsible for the page. A couple days passed with no response and I sent a message via Facebook with the direct link to my questions. Not surprisingly, I did not receive a response.

This morning I saw a story you posted regarding an upcoming seat belt clinic (thank you for doing those by the way). When I clicked on your page to read the post, I noticed that my comments from a few days earlier had now been deleted. I still have not received a public or private response to my queries.

In an attempt to receive a response, I posted the following to your page this morning:

Why are comments and questions from the general public (hint: the people you serve) being ignored and deleted? You posted more than one story about Chief Knight's efforts to work on the gun violence concerns both nationally and locally. I simply asked where he stood on the issue. Why is that difficult or controversial for you to respond to? If Chief Knight isn't willing to publicly share his views, then why is he participating in these committees? I await your response but am not holding my breath.

My reason for writing you today is not as a gun owner or activist (although I feel they are doing critical work right now), but as a citizen and a police officer. As a police officer I'm disgusted by the way Chief Knight has leveraged his position within your small suburban community for his own political agenda. I worry that your agency, or more specifically Chief Knight, has forgotten that you serve the citizens of your community and the State of Minnesota. I find it embarrassing that, while working in the capacity of a public servant, staff from your office would so blatantly and rudely ignore a legitimate inquiry by the general public.

I've read your public policy regarding the Chaska Police Department's Facebook page. While I understand the need to moderate conversation to filter out vulgarity and keep things civil, I in no way violated that policy or posted anything that could be viewed by any objective person as questionable.

I'll state my questions one final time.

1) What is Chief Knight's position on gun control and the current legislation?

2) Why is the City of Chaska refusing to respond and deleting legitimate questions and concerns on their publicly funded Facebook page, staffed by public employees?

Thank you in advance for your response.

I'll doubt I'll be looked favorably upon should I someday choose to apply for employment with the Chaska Police Department. Oh well. :lol:
Paul

Re: My Correspondence With The Chaska Police Department

Postby bstrawse on Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:27 am

Good lord. I hadn't realized they were deleting comments too.
b
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby Heffay on Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:39 am

bstrawse wrote:Good lord. I hadn't realized they were deleting comments too.
b

You should add to your request:

"All correspondence regarding the deletion of posts on Facebook."
To the two forum members who have used lines from my posts as their signatures, can't you quote Jesse Ventura or some other great Minnesotan instead of stealing mine? - LePetomane
Heffay

Postby CarRacer on Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:40 am

Geez. That's pretty crappy that they do that. If you're unable to hold a discussion (on any topic), what are you even doing?
CarRacer

Postby Dante on Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:12 pm

It does seem odd that they would not post a reply since his position is well-known (he is anti-gun) however I am not terribly surprised having dealt with the CPD in the past. While they do have some exceptional employees there are also a large number of inept or incompetent ones as well.

Frankly I think they are just not looking to have a discussion; their plan is to just use FB as a method for disseminating information.
Dante

Postby 20mm on Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:12 pm

Paul wrote:I'll doubt I'll be looked favorably upon should I someday choose to apply for employment with the Chaska Police Department. Oh well. :lol:

Might as well just take his position. http://www.bradycampaign.org/toomanyvic ... -m-knight/
20mm

Postby Paul on Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:20 pm

I'm well aware of his position.
Paul

Postby Ron Burgundy on Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:23 pm

Is this an elected or appointed position?

Chaska is on the list of cities Mrs. Burgundy is interested in moving to. I'm wondering if it should come off the list or if I can wait for his term to expire.
Ron Burgundy

Postby Paul on Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:23 pm

Appointed.
Paul

Postby Bitter Bastard on Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:27 pm

1) Do you think he'll sign off for Form 1's?

B) Serioursly, though, can you look into how any trips and whatnot are being paid for and make sure they don't violate any city code about politicking on the public's dime? Anything along those lines? Start a recall petition perhaps?

Good luck!

Bitter Bastard
Bitter Bastard

Postby Dante on Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:28 pm

Don't get me wrong, Chaska is a lovely place to live and the majority of my issues with the CPD stemmed from a rogue detective who thought he could ignore people's rights (I think he is retired now... although I did have someone tell me they saw him in a squad a few weeks ago). There may still be a couple of overzealous officers but all of my recent interactions with the CPD have been professional.

I have never had any issues with the Carver County sherrifs department.
Dante

Postby Paul on Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:28 pm

Bitter Bastard wrote:Start a recall petition perhaps?

It's not an elected position... But public pressure on the city council would be a good thing.
Paul

Postby Paul on Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:31 pm

I just received a response from Sona Schneck.

If you have any questions or concerns on Chief Knights position regarding gun control, please visit the IACP website and/or the National Law Enforcement Partnership to Prevent Gun Violence. Chief Knight has served as Chair to both these organizations.

Our Facebook page will not be used as a dialog. You also have the options of calling the PD and asking to speak with Chief Knight and/or emailing myself which I will forward to him or emailing the Chief directly - sknight@chaskamn.com

Thank You

Sona Schneck

Administrative Assistant
Chaska Police Department
(952) 448-4200
(952) 448-2307 - Fax

And my response....

Ms. Schneck,

Thanks for your response. From your policy regarding the police department's Facebook page:

"We encourage you to submit your questions, comments, and concerns, but please note this is
a moderated online discussion site and not a public forum."

For my clarification, so I don't err in the future, should I not ask questions of your Facebook page? You indicated in your response that the Facebook page was to not be used for dialog. This is a direct contradiction of the public policy put out by the City of Chaska.

Thanks again for your response and clarification on this matter.
Paul

Postby Heffay on Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:33 pm

It's for discussion, not dialog. Clearly you see the errors of your ways now.
To the two forum members who have used lines from my posts as their signatures, can't you quote Jesse Ventura or some other great Minnesotan instead of stealing mine? - LePetomane
Heffay

Postby DoxaPar on Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:40 pm

...but please note this is a moderated..

Moderated = We will delete whatever we want.
DoxaPar

Next

Return to Politics