Gun Hearings Done. Will we be Screwed by 'OMNIBUS GUN BILL'

Firearms related political discussion forum

Postby AR on Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:34 pm

First off, thanks to the really smart guys putting in time working on this. Some are active on this forum others like Professor Joe Olson (prez of Gocra) and Andrew Rothman (vp of Gocra) are not.

Second, if you missed the hearings, you can see them online, google it.

Third, Now that the hearings are over and we packed the house, stood up and made reasoned arguments.

WILL WE GET SCREWED BY AN 'OMNIBUS GUN BILL' ???

Isn't that just the way politics works....are not Senator Latz and Rep Paymar at this moment conferring and planning 'How can we package our bills with other bills into an OMNIBUS GUN BILL that moderate out-state democrats will HAVE TO VOTE FOR.'

Isn't an OMNIBUS GUN BILL just a means to give cover to wishy-washy politicians so they can say "It was an up or down vote on the whole package...there were parts I personally dis-agreed with but WE HAD TO DO SOMETHING, ENOUGH IS ENOUGH"

Senator Julianne Ortman repeatedly requested that some bills be processed on their own instead of in an 'OMNIBUS GUN BILL' but Senator Latz did not agree.

So my question is...we've expressed our opinions to the Reps...is the front now on preventing a STEAMROLLING from an 'OMNIBUS GUN BILL'...who is working on that and what should be done.

We have the way Obamacare was passed as an example of the actual will of the people being ignored by the entrenched political class....are we not being set up for a SUCKER-PUNCH right now.

Sorry for all the Caps. :) but I think many of our gun rights are hanging by a thread...the Bad Guys control House / Senate / Governorship....if not for conservative out-state Dems the war here would already be lost.
Wisconsin had to wait 8 years for a Republican governor to get their carry law. In Minnesota it took Gocra over 15 years to pass the 2003 Minnesota Personal Protection Act....we could be on the verge of taking a giant step backwards. What's your opinion?
AR

Re: Gun Hearings Done. Will we be Screwed by 'OMNIBUS GUN BILL'

Postby photogpat on Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:38 pm

You can flip that around the other way too -- we could say we supported some of the proposed components, but they insisted on putting in the garbage as well -- we had no choice but to oppose it.
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby AR on Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:43 pm

Yes, But my question is: Where's the Action now?

Is preventing the 'OMNIBUS GUN BILL' the front on this issue? or is it continued communication with outstate Dems?
Is Gocra working on PREVENTING an 'OMNIBUS GUN BILL' If so, who do I write / email in support?
(again sorry for all the caps) I seriously think we're going to get SUCKER-PUNCHED with the OMNIBUS GUN BILL.
Last edited by AR on Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AR

Postby Dick Unger on Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:44 pm

They put in at least 16 bad bills, and then they call us extreme gun nuts who oppose EVERYTHING. Good. But we need everyone opposing everything so we don't get divided.

NONE of this stuff, including better reporting of mental health matters will improve safety in the least. I would get rid the the bckground checks we do have because they have not been shown to help. I dont think you can improve something that deosn't work in the first place. Felons can'thave guns even if they slip through a check. If they want to comply they will. If not they take their chances. But it does not change anyone who wants to act out.
Dick Unger

Postby AR on Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:46 pm

So Dick, you see a really bad 'OMNIBUS GUN BILL' as inevitable?

What's Gocra doing to prevent it?

:)
AR

Postby tman on Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:52 pm

AR wrote:So Dick, you see a really bad 'OMNIBUS GUN BILL' as inevitable?

What's Gocra doing to prevent it?

What are YOU doing to help?

Go to http://www.gocra.org and ask.

By the way Andrew Rothman and Prof Olson hang out at http://www.carryforum.com (Andrew's the owner/admin).
Badged Thug & MN Permit to Carry Instructor
Slowly growing 1911 Glock collection. Donations accepted
tman

Postby 2in2out on Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:03 pm

I have an e-mail from GOCRA in my inbox right now. Looks like I have homework tonight... :ugeek:
"...the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..." ---Frederick Douglass
2in2out

Postby AR on Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:06 pm

OK, Signed up with GOCRA for E-mail blasts.

But I still need to know from some of the Heavy-Hitters (yourself included) what about the 'OMNIBUS GUN BILL' Seriously, Paymar and Latz are snickering now saying to each other 'Just wait till we hit those Out-State Rednecks with this OMNIBUS CRIME BILL. Those Sukkas" :shock: :shock: :shock:

From the GOCRA website:

How can I support GOCRA and Minnesota gun rights?
Join up
Become a supporting member, and help us fight for your rights.
Hook up
Sign up for GOCRA’s email list, so we can keep you informed of urgent gun rights issues. We never share your information with anyone else, and we don’t send spam.
Pitch in
GOCRA’s success in passing the carry law and range protection was a direct result of local, grass roots activism. Unlike anti-gunners, we don’t have paid lobbyists.
Write in
Tell your local, and state and congressional representatives are a priority for you, and that you vote. This is especially important when they are considering gun legislation.
Speak out
Take advantage of opportunities in your community to talk about and work for gun and self-defense rights.
Pass it on
Get your friends and family interested in shooting sports and gun rights. Take them to the range, and get them to sign up for our mailing list, too!
Show up
Victory goes to those who show up. Learn the issues, get involved, and vote your rights!
Pony up
GOCRA has no paid staff, but depends on contributions from Minnesota gun owners like you to cover expenses like our web site, postage, materials for legislators, and printing items like this flier. To contribute, see a GOCRA representative, click the donate button on the left, or mail in a check.
AR

Postby Heffay on Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:17 pm

Minnesota politics doesn't work that way. There is no such thing as an omnibus bill. They can't package it as part of another bill, as the state constitution (I believe that's the source) requires all bills to be their own topic.

That's what derailed the carry law the first time along. They tried to pass it as part of a DNR appropriation bill. Opponents sued based on that rule, and it got yanked. Had to resubmit it again on its own, and it passed, which is where we are today.

So yeah. No. We will not be screwed by the scary all-caps "OMINOUS GUN BILL".
To the two forum members who have used lines from my posts as their signatures, can't you quote Jesse Ventura or some other great Minnesotan instead of stealing mine? - LePetomane
Heffay

Postby bstrawse on Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:26 pm

There can be an omnibus bill that addresses a single topic - i.e. gun violence.

GOCRA's e-mail is pretty clear on what we think is going to happen next - we expect both the house and senate to introduce a omnibus bill - they may or may not be the same. And then there will be hearings. That will be the next fight.

I think the call to action that is in GOCRA's latest communication is accurate.

B
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby sansooshooter on Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:30 pm

If only I can believe Heffay. I don't trust these guys ! Like I don't trust most politicians .
Hell I don't even trust elections anymore.
How can we trust a party that wont verify a voter is who they say they are!
sansooshooter

Postby sansooshooter on Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:33 pm

bstrawse wrote:There can be an omnibus bill that addresses a single topic - i.e. gun violence.

GOCRA's e-mail is pretty clear on what we think is going to happen next - we expect both the house and senate to introduce a omnibus bill - they may or may not be the same. And then there will be hearings. That will be the next fight.

B

And there you have it!
Time to start contacting legislators.
sansooshooter

Postby Heffay on Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:43 pm

bstrawse wrote:There can be an omnibus bill that addresses a single topic - i.e. gun violence.

B

I would posit that a gun bill that has ALL the different bills rolled together is a best case scenario for us. Neither the House or Senate will want to bring it forward, as neither want's to have their names associated with it when it fails.
To the two forum members who have used lines from my posts as their signatures, can't you quote Jesse Ventura or some other great Minnesotan instead of stealing mine? - LePetomane
Heffay

Postby AR on Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:07 pm

Heffay wrote:I would posit that a gun bill that has ALL the different bills rolled together is a best case scenario for us. Neither the House or Senate will want to bring it forward, as neither want's to have their names associated with it when it fails.

I think just the opposite is true. An OMNIBUS GUN BILL would be easy for a Quisling Politician to vote for...it would give them cover and let them STRADDLE THE FENCE ....remember their top priority is not morality / ethics, it's Re-Election :)
By voting for a bloated Sausage of an OMNIBUS GUN BILL they could say "look I voted against GUN VIOLENCE' knowing full well the bill is full of Rat Turds.

I don't know exactly what RKBA supporters can do about it since we are minorities in BOTH houses ???

Federally, the Republicans control one house and that Gridlock can save our butts. But it seems our only strongpoint (and this is what got the MPPA 2003 passed) is the Out-State Dems. Colorado and NY are now in trouble because Big City Libs have outweighed the sensible out-staters....we're not there yet.
AR

Postby XDM45 on Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:29 pm

There's been a lot of action by pr-gun people, and we need to keep that momentum up for the fight against the omnibus bill.

We need to let our representatives in the house and senate at the state and federal levels know our positions on the proposed HF and SF bills which will go into forming the omnibus bill which we must also fight as mentioned above. Call and email them today. Also, for the ones that support us already, thank them and re-affirm that they are doing the right thing by supporting gun rights, our constitutional rights, etc.

We need to support SF400 and HF419 and get them fleshed out and created into law along with whatever other pro-2A/pro-gun rights legislation we get in as well.

We need to get the new gun owners (some of which use this site), on-board with not only guns beyond casual ownership, but educate and motivate them to get involved politically. A lot of new/first-time gun owners purchased because they think it may become more difficult down the road to purchase and own firearms; well, if they purchased guns because they think that way, then they should also be open to the idea of defending those rights inside the system as well.

We need to join the NRA, SAF and GOCRA. I just renewed my NRA membership and I also need to get my money into the SAF and GOCRA. I'm behind on doing that, I know. Since I'm telling others to do it, I need to do that myself. Join me in being a new member or a renewing member if you're already one.

Get on the mailing lists of all 3 organizations above.

Tell everyone you know about what's going on in face-to-face meetings, email, spread the word and be an activist any way you can which is positive and works towards our common cause and goals to promoting pro-gun/pro-2A rights.

Take family and friends out to the range and introduce them to firearms.

I know everyone here knows all of this and there's probably some stuff I've missed, so please enlighten me because if there's something more I can do to help, I'm for it.
Gnothi Seauton
XDM45

Next

Return to Politics