Gun Violence Prevention Bill of 2013

Firearms related political discussion forum

Re: Gun Violence Prevention Bill of 2013

Postby river_boater on Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:53 pm

NZarathustra wrote:I know you don't HAVE to, but the majority of handguns I've seen for sale require a PTP/PTC. Wouldn't that count as a background check?

Yes, but that's just sellers doing the right thing. They aren't required to do this by law.
river_boater

Postby tman on Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:14 pm

St. Olaf wrote:Again:

When they talk about internet sales without background checks they're talking about between private parties in the same state who meet to do an in person sale......thus no background check.

Where does the Internet come into that transaction?

Sent from my iPhone using that app which shall not be named.
Badged Thug & MN Permit to Carry Instructor
Slowly growing 1911 Glock collection. Donations accepted
tman

Postby tman on Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:15 pm

NZarathustra wrote:I know you don't HAVE to, but the majority of handguns I've seen for sale require a PTP/PTC. Wouldn't that count as a background check?

By whose standard?

Sent from my iPhone using that app which shall not be named.
tman

Postby St. Olaf on Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:51 pm

tman wrote:

When they talk about internet sales without background checks they're talking about between private parties in the same state who meet to do an in person sale......thus no background check.

Where does the Internet come into that transaction?

The buyer finds the gun listed on the internet and contacts the seller. If they live in the same state they can just meet and do the transaction. It's just like answering a classified ad in the newspaper....except now we have the internet.

I hate to see people writing these muddled letters based on false assumptions they've dreamed up. It makes us all look uninformed.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will end up plowing for those who didn't.
St. Olaf

Postby BlkVooDoo on Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:49 am

I have been searching and searching. I cannot find the actual text of this bill anywhere. Has anyone actually found it yet?
BlkVooDoo

Postby Thunder71 on Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:10 am

river_boater wrote:

Yes, but that's just sellers doing the right thing. They aren't required to do this by law.

I think without the permit you have to notify the buyer's sheriff and are responsible for one year.
Thunder71

Postby plblark on Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:17 am

Do you have a specific cute for that? I suggest looking at the exceptions in that statute on notice.
private or small grou permit classes available
"I'll take a huge order of fiscal responsibility, a side of small government, hold the religion please. " Paraphrase from Tamara K
RIP 1911Fan
plblark

Postby jdege on Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:18 am

Thunder71 wrote:I think without the permit you have to notify the buyer's sheriff and are responsible for one year.

Not quite.

You are liable for one year, unless you do a background check. You can do a background check by seeing a PTP, a PTC, or submitting a report to the police chief or sheriff.
jdege

Postby BigBlue on Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:30 am

tman wrote:

Where does the Internet come into that transaction.

As I've listened to the antis blubber about this in the recent hearings I've come to my own conclusion that they are actually talking about people posting on-line ads for a firearm that is then transacted via private party sale FTF as described above (think Armslist or our own marketplace forum). The evil Internet was used for the buyer and seller to find each other, only. There is no way they are talking about actual on-line sales (i.e. shipped) because all of those must go through FFL.

The antis use this situation to hawk their 'You can buy any gun you want on the Internet!" warning cry which does have an effect on a large portion of average citizens who don't understand what is actually being talked about. It is intentionally misleading to help their cause. Heck, if I was not familiar with gun purchases and heard all the blathering about 'buying on the Internet' I'd tend to think you could just order one up and have it on your doorstep in the morning too. Their intentionally misleading phrasing is effective because of this.

This is one more area where we need to continue to counter them and explain what is really going on. It is very much like the 'gunshow loophole' argument that makes it sound like any sale at a gunshow is unregulated when, in fact, only private party sales are skipping a NICS check.

BB
BigBlue

Postby BigBlue on Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:41 am

By the way, does anyone have a link to the actual 'omnibus' bill yet??
BigBlue

Postby bstrawse on Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:56 am

BigBlue wrote:By the way, does anyone have a link to the actual 'omnibus' bill yet??

Not yet posted. So we have no idea what's really in it.
b
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby sawgrass on Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:18 am

bstrawse wrote:
BigBlue wrote:By the way, does anyone have a link to the actual 'omnibus' bill yet??

b

Brian will GOCRA send an e-blast when it's available? I couldn't find anything on Andrew's site.
NRA Life Member
GOCRA Member
sawgrass

Postby MNGunGuy on Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:59 am

MXGreg wrote:
Cavscout wrote: "40% of all firearms sales aren't done with a background check"

This most likely includes firearms that don't need a background check to sell anyways (shotguns, muzzle loaders, etc).

Shotguns require a background check the same as a rifle or handgun if purchased from an FFL. What you don't need is a PTP/PTC.
MNGunGuy

Postby bstrawse on Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:10 am

sawgrass wrote:
bstrawse wrote:

b

Brian will GOCRA send an e-blast when it's available? I couldn't find anything on Andrew's site.

Absolutely. It will take a day or so to analyze the bill - and then you know we'll be out with an e-blast.
b
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby tman on Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:23 am

St. Olaf wrote:
The buyer finds the gun listed on the internet and contacts the seller. If they live in the same state they can just meet and do the transaction. It's just like answering a classified ad in the newspaper....except now we have the internet.

So, "internet sales" only includes a sub-set of face-to-face transactions wherein the buyer and seller "met" through an on-line ad?

I have a tough time believing that's what the law is trying to prohibit. I'm more inclined to believe that the authors think I can buy a pistol from a guy in WI and have it shipped directly to me - bypassing a background check.
tman

PreviousNext

Return to Politics