Simple Words From Robert Reich

Firearms related political discussion forum

Re: Simple Words From Robert Reich

Postby ShadowFlyP on Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:19 am

St. Olaf wrote:No, the Constitution does not say that our rich nation should should deny health care to poor people and their babies because they're poor and therefore subhuman.

Actually, it does. It just doesn't word it as eloquently as you did.

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.
ShadowFlyP

Postby St. Olaf on Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:52 am

Yes, delegated to the people.

And the people wanted health care--and they got it.

More coming.

:flag:
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will end up plowing for those who didn't.
St. Olaf

Postby jdege on Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:01 am

St. Olaf wrote:And the people wanted health care--and they got it.

And it is, of course, the primary purpose of government to service the people.
And the primary purpose of the media to provide the lubricant.
jdege

Postby ShadowFlyP on Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:05 am

St. Olaf wrote:Yes, delegated to the people.

"Delegated to the people" means the people have the freedom to do it on their own, not force the federal government to do it. If the people could just pass a law then this entire amendment is pointless. The whole point of this amendment is to constrain the force of law by the federal government.
ShadowFlyP

Postby St. Olaf on Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:24 am

ShadowFlyP wrote:

"Delegated to the people" means the people have the freedom to do it on their own, not force the federal government to do it. If the people could just pass a law then this entire amendment is pointless. The whole point of this amendment is to constrain the force of law by the federal government.

The people pass laws through their elected representatives.

The whole point of the Constitution is to meet the needs of the people of America......all of them.

Those who beat their swords into plowshares will end up plowing for those who didn't.
St. Olaf

Postby Snakeman721 on Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:33 am

St. Olaf wrote:
ShadowFlyP wrote:

The whole point of the Constitution is to meet the needs of the people of America......all of them.

Wrong! The whole point of the Constitution is to PREVENT the government from INFRINGING upon the natural rights of the people. It was never intended to "meet their needs". The people where expected to go out and meet their needs on their own, UNFETTERED by government interference. Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness without the government sticking it's nose in your business and it's hands in your pockets was the original intent of the Constitution. Sadly, that is no longer the case today.
Get off my lawn!
Snakeman721

Postby grousemaster on Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:35 am

St. Olaf wrote:
ShadowFlyP wrote:

lol....have you taken Con Law 101? there's not a constitutional expert or SCOTUS justice that wouldn't laugh at that statement. We're all dumber for having read this comment.
01 FFL
NRA Life Member
NRA Business Alliance
grousemaster

Postby ShadowFlyP on Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:05 pm

St. Olaf wrote:The whole point of the Constitution is to meet the needs of the people of America......all of them.

Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong. And you claim I have a simplistic, extremist view...

If that was the point of the constitution, we wouldn't need a constitution. The following would be sufficient:

There will be a president, legislature, and supreme court. The president will be elected by the people and execute the laws, which are passed by the legislature whom are also elected by the people, and appoint the members of the supreme court, who really won't have much to do. Beyond that, the rest is up to you the people. Figure it out.

Thankfully, the Founding Fathers decided that "secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity" required a little more thought than that.
ShadowFlyP

Postby goalie on Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:10 pm

St. Olaf wrote:

No, the Constitution does not say that our rich nation should should deny health care to poor people and their babies because they're poor and therefore subhuman.

It does not say that our rich nation should deny education to the children of poor people because they're poor and therefore subhuman.

It's just that some fearful, selfish and greedy people try to misuse the Constitution to deny the poor their human rights.

Ain't gonna work. Far too obviously bogus.

Not giving something to someone is not the same as denying them something.

But, to paraphrase your own argument in this thread:

The goose that laid MY golden egg was me.....by planning, investing and crafting a career that would take care of me in my old age.

By the way.....I PAY for my Medicare out of my Social Security and I PAID for my Tri-Care with 22 years of service. I get the same deal available to anybody who wants to do it.

If you failed to do that, it's your problem......take responsibility for it.

Take that same argument and apply it to those not willing to do what it takes to provide for themselves and their families.

;)
It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it.
goalie

Postby St. Olaf on Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:11 pm

I'm also going to close out this thread because it was inadvertently placed in the wrong subforum.

Thanks to all for contributing.

St. Olaf

Postby grousemaster on Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:28 pm

St. Olaf wrote:I'm also going to close out this thread because it was inadvertently placed in the wrong subforum.

Or because your ridiculous constitutional arguments have been shredded?
01 FFL
NRA Life Member
NRA Business Alliance
grousemaster

Postby Shawski on Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:42 pm

grousemaster wrote:
St. Olaf wrote:I'm also going to close out this thread because it was inadvertently placed in the wrong subforum.

Or because your ridiculous constitutional arguments have been shredded?

+1
Shawski

Previous

Return to Politics