HF 237: hearings/vote likely this week or next

Firearms related political discussion forum

HF 237: hearings/vote likely this week or next

Postby NMRMN on Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:48 pm

The new omnibus provisions will come as amendments to his [Rep. Paymar] current gun control bill, House File 237

NRA Statement:
http://www.nraila.org/legislation/state-legislation/2013/3/minnesota-house-antigun-omnibus-bill-introduced.aspx?s=&st=&ps=

HF 237 current text:
https://www.revisor.mn.gov/bills/bill.php?b=House&f=HF237&ssn=0&y=2013

Contact House Public Safety Committee Members TODAY!

note: Rep Cornish has co-authored a competing alternative bill backed by NRA and GOCRA -- more info to follow. Thanks bstrawse and NRA80 for further clarification!
Last edited by NMRMN on Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:49 pm, edited 12 times in total.
I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for thou, Lord, only makest me dwell in safety.
Member GOA | GOCRA | NRA
NMRMN

Re: Hello HF 237

Postby LarryP on Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:01 pm

we're screwed :(
LarryP

Postby TeeBee on Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:02 pm

So they haven't amended the part where a PTC is only valid as a transfer permit within twelve months of issue? I remember watching it on the web video, the Senate showed intention to change the language to reflect the fact the PTC is checked every year by the issuing sheriff.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Member GOCRA
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem" -TJ
TeeBee

Postby NMRMN on Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:06 pm

LarryP wrote:we're screwed :(

Not yet...

NRA80 wrote:it is important to contact the House Public Safety Committee as hearings and votes are likely either this week or next
Last edited by NMRMN on Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for thou, Lord, only makest me dwell in safety.
Member GOA | GOCRA | NRA
NMRMN

Re: HF 237 -- amendments

Postby bstrawse on Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:24 pm

This isn't the omnibus. He hasn't actually introduced the bill yet - so you can't find it online.

I would expect to see it soon. I believe some leaders (NRA, etc) have seen a copy.
b
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Re: HF 237 (nothing to see here...)

Postby NRA80 on Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:53 pm

NMRMN wrote:Text:
https://www.revisor.mn.gov/bills/bill.php?b=House&f=HF237&ssn=0&y=2013

NRA Statement:
http://www.nraila.org/legislation/state-legislation/2013/3/minnesota-house-antigun-omnibus-bill-introduced.aspx?s=&st=&ps=

Edit: This is NOT Rep Paymar's ammended "Omnibus" bill and NOT the alternate NRA and GOCRA backed bill, co-authered by Rep Cornish. Really, it now appears there was no reason to post this thread. I am wondering why the NRA sent me an alert about the omnibus bill and linked the old bill which does not even appear at this point to have been edited... Thanks bstrawse ;-)

You will notice the NRA Alert says: "The new omnibus provisions will come as amendments to his current gun control bill, House File 237." So, as mentioned, the new language has not been publicly introduced; however, NRA and others have copies of the language. The NRA alert also details the most egregious parts of the coming language. HF237 will be the vehicle for Paymar to use to add his new provisions.

And, as the alert details, it is important to contact the House Public Safety Committee as hearings and votes are likely either this week or next -- unfortunately, Paymar is not telling anyone -- including his own DFL committee members.
NRA80

Postby NMRMN on Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:05 pm

NRA80 wrote:You will notice the NRA Alert says: "The new omnibus provisions will come as amendments to his current gun control bill, House File 237." So, as mentioned, the new language has not been publicly introduced; however, NRA and others have copies of the language. The NRA alert also details the most egregious parts of the coming language. HF237 will be the vehicle for Paymar to use to add his new provisions.

And, as the alert details, it is important to contact the House Public Safety Committee as hearings and votes are likely either this week or next -- unfortunately, Paymar is not telling anyone -- including his own DFL committee members.

Thanks for the clarification. Can we assume no other major portions of the original HF 237 are to be included -- just the provisions listed in the alert? Curious also as to why the NRA would be given advance viewings, considering he is not even telling other DFL members if they will hear it or not this week!
Member GOA | GOCRA | NRA
NMRMN

Postby NRA80 on Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:21 pm

NMRMN wrote:
NRA80 wrote:You will notice the NRA Alert says: "The new omnibus provisions will come as amendments to his current gun control bill, House File 237." So, as mentioned, the new language has not been publicly introduced; however, NRA and others have copies of the language. The NRA alert also details the most egregious parts of the coming language. HF237 will be the vehicle for Paymar to use to add his new provisions.

Thanks for the clarification. Can we assume no other major portions of the original HF 237 are to be included -- just the provisions listed in the alert? Curious also as to why the NRA would be given advance viewings, considering he is not even telling other DFL members if they will hear it or not this week!

Unless he adds something during committee, the "major" portions are included.
NRA80

Postby NMRMN on Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:26 pm

NRA80 wrote:
NMRMN wrote:

Unless he adds something during committee, the "major" portions are included.

So he is basically going to go ahead with everthing that everyone objected to last week? I though they were even talking about modifying certain aspects of the legislation during the hearing itself, such as the new restrictions on people with mental illness... Amazing. What was the point of the press conference last thursday?
Member GOA | GOCRA | NRA
NMRMN

Postby NRA80 on Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:33 pm

So he is basically going to go ahead with everthing that everyone objected to last week? I though they were even talking about modifying certain aspects of the legislation during the hearing itself, such as the new restrictions on people with mental illness... Amazing.[/quote]

All of the provisions that Paymar includes -- aside from private sales bans -- are included to try and garner broader support (e.g. MPPOA, Chiefs of Police, County Attorneys, etc). Paymar's true goal is the private sales ban. You will notice he never really entertained AWB or Mag bans -- and, in fact, did not author them. He has attempted has private sales bans a couple times in the past -- previous attempts were more narrowed (e.g. gun shows). It is likely, he will, again, narrow his legislation at some point.
NRA80

Postby St. Olaf on Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:46 pm

NMRMN wrote:

LOL! The same thing occurred to me.

I guess the NRA has got his office bugged.

Me, I'll wait 'til we hear from GOCRA.

:flag:
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will end up plowing for those who didn't.
St. Olaf

Postby bstrawse on Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:48 pm

NMRMN wrote:

I would assume nothing until the thing is actually filed...

I imagine GOCRA will publish more details.
b
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby NMRMN on Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:51 pm

bstrawse wrote:I imagine GOCRA will publish more details.
b

Any other places to watch, aside from the email list, the facebook page and stream?

http://www.gocra.org/join.php
https://www.facebook.com/gocra
Member GOA | GOCRA | NRA
NMRMN

Postby NRA80 on Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:56 pm

bstrawse wrote:
NMRMN wrote:

I would assume nothing until the thing is actually filed...

I imagine GOCRA will publish more details.
b

You do realize I'm NRA's lobbyist -- and am consistently at the Capitol?
NRA80

Re: HF 237: hearings/vote likely this week or next

Postby St. Olaf on Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:02 pm

How'd you get that bug into his office??

:shock:
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will end up plowing for those who didn't.
St. Olaf

Next

Return to Politics