Minneapolis not issuing purchase permits

Firearms related political discussion forum

Minneapolis not issuing purchase permits

Postby gunshop guy on Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:47 pm

NOTE: Due to Republican National Convention staff reallocation, no applications for permits to purchase handguns will be accepted from August 18 to September 8, 2008.(MPD Website)
http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/police/about/gun-permits.asp

I found this out tonight. I didn't think this was legal.
A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell. ~C.S. Lewis, The Problem of Pain
http://www.christiangunowners.net/
gunshop guy

Re: Minneapolis not issuing purchase permits

Postby mnglocker on Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:40 am

Someone call the NRA and the GOP, both should be chomping at this one. :twisted:
-Get a rope Tuco.
What happens in the basement stays in the basement.

http://www.ronpaul2012.com/
mnglocker

Postby jgalt on Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:03 am

Heck, I applied for mine (in St. Paul) 22 days ago and it still hasn't arrived... Maybe they are doing the same thing but not telling anyone?
jgalt

Postby hammAR on Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:31 am

jgalt wrote:Heck, I applied for mine (in St. Paul) 22 days ago and it still hasn't arrived... Maybe they are doing the same thing but not telling anyone?

You should have never signed that petition to sue them.............. :hammer:

:rotf:

All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby jgalt on Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:58 am

hammAR wrote:
jgalt wrote:Heck, I applied for mine (in St. Paul) 22 days ago and it still hasn't arrived... Maybe they are doing the same thing but not telling anyone?

You should have never signed that petition to sue them.............. :hammer:

:rotf:

Damnit, I knew my habit of signing any silly piece of paper put in front of me would bite me in the *** some day! Remind me - what did I sue them for again???

You'd think I'd have learned after the last time I accidentally got involved in a lawsuit. It had something to do with a squirrel and my having infringed on his "nut rights"... Man I got screwed on that one!

***Disclaimer - for those from the City of Saint Paul monitoring this site (you know who you are): I have not sued over this issue. But I am pretty annoyed by the delay. And by the fact that I have to ask for permission to purchase a tool to defend myself, my family, and my property, but I'll take that up with the state.

***Disclaimer #2 - for those from the State of MN monitoring this site: I'm just kidding! I love the "permit to purchase" process! It is so nice to know that you care more about my safety and well being than all those other states in which I have lived and purchased firearms, where all they do is make me prove who I am, then call do the federally mandated NICS check on me. I feel much safer now that I am here in MN with all the extra laws & hoops to jump through...

***Disclaimer #3 - for those from any state, county, or local agency monitoring this site: Please ignore the above disclaimers, and any other clearly inappropriate complaints or disparaging remarks I might have expressed - ever - about the quality of the governance of the great state of MN, or of any other governing agency or body, including the UN. I love government, and the fact that it takes care of me by preventing me from doing anything which could cause harm to me or anyone else. I am clearly not to be trusted with my own welfare (nor is anyone else) (except of course for our Blessed Leaders - may their names be praised), and there is no way I can ever repay you. Though I will of course try by voluntarily giving you as large a percentage of my income as I can, and by voting for anyone who runs on a platform of raising my taxes and the taxes of as many others as possible. Amen.
jgalt

Postby gunshop guy on Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:21 am

I'm pulling out my hip waders...
A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell. ~C.S. Lewis, The Problem of Pain
http://www.christiangunowners.net/
gunshop guy

Postby nyffman on Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:25 am

Very funny, especially the part about the taxes. :rotf: :rotf: After you sober up, check this out. https://www.edmatthewsforcongress.com/ When you get done with that, I just happen to have some extra literature and yard signs.
our quarrel is not about the value of freedom per se, but stems from our opinion of our fellow men … a man’s admiration of absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him --Alexis de Tocqueville--
nyffman

Postby Fast351 on Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:54 am

Can't you go buy a gun, and have them send the paperwork to the police entity responsible for the area? Do they not then have 7 days to deny you or it's a defacto approval?

I seem to vaguely remember something like that from the days before I had a permit to carry.
Fast351

Postby jgalt on Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:12 pm

Fast351 wrote:Can't you go buy a gun, and have them send the paperwork to the police entity responsible for the area? Do they not then have 7 days to deny you or it's a defacto approval?

I seem to vaguely remember something like that from the days before I had a permit to carry.

I ordered a firearm from a manufacturer that had to be shipped to an FFL dealer for transfer. The gun is sitting at the FFL waiting for my permit to arrive. As far as the 7 days goes, I believe what you say is true, but what does it matter? I can't pick up the gun without the permit, and I can't force the city to do their job in the time the law provides. I can complain all I want to you guys, but that isn't going to speed up the process.

I did call the permit 'desk' last week to see what the delay was, and I was told that, between their computer being down for a week, and the fact that I've lived in 5 different counties in 4 different states over the last 10 years (none of which had responded yet to St. Paul's requests for info), I might receive the permit by the end of this week. The woman I spoke with was very nice and somewhat apologetic about the delay, but it isn't her fault either. In the end, all she can do is follow the process she is given and wait for replies. I don't find any fault with her, but rather with the fact that I have to get the permit at all. Why an NICS check is all I needed in CA, TN, & MS, but it isn't good enough here is flippin' ridiculous. (Hence the 'disclaimers' above...) But again, that is the state's fault, not Saint Paul's. The cause of the problem (the legislators) are completely insulated from issues that occur 'in the moment', i.e. during the "7 days" they have given the cities to do their work. I don't know how they can say 7 days when the vast majority of their process depends upon receiving replies to a request for information from counties in different states who have absolutely no incentive to reply in anything close to a timely manner.

Eh, it is what it is. It'll be interesting to see if my carry permit arrives before the permit to purchase does though... (I submitted the carry permit paperwork last Monday.)
jgalt

Postby hammAR on Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:50 pm

jgalt wrote:I ordered a firearm from a manufacturer that had to be shipped to an FFL dealer for transfer. The gun is WAS sitting at the FFL waiting for my permit to arrive.

CORRECTION: I picked it up this afternoon......now you don't have to fret about not getting "MOM's Pre-Approval"......... :rotf:

hammAR

Postby jgalt on Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:11 pm

hammAR wrote:
jgalt wrote:I ordered a firearm from a manufacturer that had to be shipped to an FFL dealer for transfer. The gun is WAS sitting at the FFL waiting for my permit to arrive.

CORRECTION: I picked it up this afternoon......now you don't have to fret about not getting "MOM's Pre-Approval"......... :rotf:

Well....Damnit! I guess that's OK, just so long as you let me fire it once in a while :lol:

I've already got a bunch of ammo for it, so let me know when you want me to drop it off... 8-)
jgalt

Postby hammAR on Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:26 pm

jgalt wrote:Well....Damnit! I guess that's OK, just so long as you let me fire it once in a while :lol:

I've already got a bunch of ammo for it, so let me know when you want me to drop it off... 8-)

You didn't tell me you had "a bunch' of ammo to play with.......

now I have to figure out how to get the SN back on..................... :roll:

hammAR

Postby westberg on Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:32 pm

hammAR wrote:
jgalt wrote:Well....Damnit! I guess that's OK, just so long as you let me fire it once in a while :lol:

I'm sure you have a Crayola marking utensil laying around................ :lol: :lol:
westberg

Postby hammAR on Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:52 pm

westberg wrote:
hammAR wrote:

I'm sure you have a Crayola marking utensil laying around................ :lol: :lol:

Have to borrow one from the squid, I ate all of mine............... :cheers:
hammAR

Postby jgalt on Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:59 pm

Update - I called the 'permit desk' again this afternoon. About 1/2 of the local & county offices they are trying to contact haven't yet responded, and of course at least a few probably aren't likely to if they haven't yet. I was told I might get it by the end of next week... Both of the women I spoke with were very nice and sympathetic, but are completely unable to do anything more than they already are based on the rules they have been given to follow.

Oh well. Again, it is what it is.
jgalt

Next

Return to Politics