Why gun control failed

Firearms related political discussion forum

Why gun control failed

Postby NMRMN on Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:06 pm

Last edited by NMRMN on Mon May 06, 2013 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for thou, Lord, only makest me dwell in safety.
Member GOA | GOCRA | NRA
NMRMN

Re: Why gun control failed

Postby whiteox on Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:18 pm

Just got done reading the same article. The 'Inside Baseball' history of Congress in the 70's was of particular interest. The overall gist was that progressive liberals tore down the traditional power structure in Congress in the belief that doing so would result in a more accountable, productive Congress. In fact the exact opposite happened. Distributing power so widely among all the members resulted in a tripling in the number of lobbyists, and a booming market in Congressmen available to insert a favorable provision into an obscure law that had a fair chance at passage. It also resulted in gridlock. I suppose that's good for the gun issue but there are other problems that need fixing but it seems that now Congress is too busy enriching itself, or pursuing their little pet project to actually accomplish anything.

Of course this is just one pundits theory . . .
whiteox

Postby damian_mb on Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:25 am

Bah, bye-bye Al and Amy :D
"It can never happen in Amurika"
damian_mb

Postby bensdad on Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:23 am

damian_mb wrote:Bah, bye-bye Al and Amy :D

Stewart Smalley will not survive re-election. Amy, otot, will stay in the U.S. senate until she decides to leave.
I got nothin'
bensdad

Postby yuppiejr on Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:57 am

bensdad wrote:
damian_mb wrote:Bah, bye-bye Al and Amy :D

Stewart Smalley will not survive re-election. Amy, otot, will stay in the U.S. senate until she decides to leave.

Do not underestimate the ability of the Republican party in MN to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.... and assuming victory in this case is highly presumptive. There hasn't even been a single viable candidate to run against him identified by the Republicans who also have a major image problem with the growing number of unaligned/young voters on top of the giant chasm within their rank and file between social conservatives (the vote Yes crowd) and the libertarian minded folks who are moving to independent candidates in droves.
yuppiejr

Postby bensdad on Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:21 am

libertarian minded folks who are moving to independent candidates in droves.

I'll plead guilty if you'll admit that I'm, while idealistic, right.
I got nothin'
bensdad

Postby bensdad on Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:29 am

I refused to vote for Coleman because he flat-out told us to eat poop and that our concerns were of no concern to him. He voted his way, so I voted mine. One can only hope that future politicians learn from his mistake. Give me a politician who can at least try and help slow this train down... I'll hold my nose and vote for her/him. Yeah, guys like me gave Smalley a chance(by voting 3rd party or not voting at all), but with Coleman out of the way we can once again focus on the lesser of two evils. If Emmer puts on his big-boy pants and runs, it's his seat for the taking.
I got nothin'
bensdad

Postby Heffay on Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:38 am

bensdad wrote:If Emmer puts on his big-boy pants and runs, it's his seat for the taking.

Emmer has no chance if he continues to push to the right. He couldn't take the seat from Dayton at a time when the Republicans took both the house and senate.
To the two forum members who have used lines from my posts as their signatures, can't you quote Jesse Ventura or some other great Minnesotan instead of stealing mine? - LePetomane
Heffay

Return to Politics