4th District Congressional candidate debate

Firearms related political discussion forum

4th District Congressional candidate debate

Postby nyffman on Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:05 am

Klas Center, Hamline University
October 13, 2008
7:00pm

At this point, this is the only debate that Betty McCollum would agreee to with her opponent, Ed Matthews. Also, she only agreed to it with the stipulation that it not be carried on broadcast television.
our quarrel is not about the value of freedom per se, but stems from our opinion of our fellow men … a man’s admiration of absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him --Alexis de Tocqueville--
nyffman

Re: 4th District Congressional candidate debate

Postby TC95GT on Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:11 am

Should be good. Thanks for posting this info.
"It is not enough to just obey Big Brother, you must love him, too." 1984 by George Orwell
TC95GT

Postby nyffman on Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:59 am

No problem. I normally work on Monday night. I'm taking off for this. Maybe, if we have enough folks there, meaning two or more, we can go down the street to O'Gara's or wherever afterward.
our quarrel is not about the value of freedom per se, but stems from our opinion of our fellow men … a man’s admiration of absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him --Alexis de Tocqueville--
nyffman

Postby TC95GT on Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:04 am

Sounds good. I am going to work on making sure I am free that evening.
"It is not enough to just obey Big Brother, you must love him, too." 1984 by George Orwell
TC95GT

Postby JohnC on Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:05 pm

nyffman wrote:Klas Center, Hamline University
October 13, 2008

At this point, this is the only debate that Betty McCollum would agreee to with her opponent, Ed Matthews. Also, she only agreed to it with the stipulation that it not be carried on broadcast television.

Could you post the link as to where you found this info. I tried googleing it, but could not find it. I'd like to send the link to friends.
Thank you.
JohnC

Postby nyffman on Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:46 am

There are no links that I know of.
nyffman

Postby nyffman on Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:22 am

Ed Matthews Needs YOU for the stretch drive toward November 4th

Attend a Candidate Forum--The forum on 10/13 is the most important as the questions asked will be comprised solely of ones submitted by the audience.

Fourth Congressional District Candidate Forum Schedule:
Jane Addams School for Democracy U.S. House Forum
Humboldt High School (map)October 8, 2008
7:00pm—9:00pm

League of Women Voters Public Forum
Klas Center, Hamline University (map)October 13, 2008

Minnesota Senior Federation
Maplewood Community Center (map)
October 16, 2005
1:00pm—3:00pm

Minnesota Public Radio, MIDDAY Forum with Gary Eichten (radio only)
October 28, 2008
11:00am—11:30am
nyffman

Postby TC95GT on Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:22 am

nyffman wrote:No problem. I normally work on Monday night. I'm taking off for this. Maybe, if we have enough folks there, meaning two or more, we can go down the street to O'Gara's or wherever afterward.

Looks like I am free for Monday night. Who all is going and is O'Gara's on after?
TC95GT

Postby hammAR on Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:50 am

TC95GT wrote:
nyffman wrote:No problem. I normally work on Monday night. I'm taking off for this. Maybe, if we have enough folks there, meaning two or more, we can go down the street to O'Gara's or wherever afterward.

Looks like I am free for Monday night. Who all is going and is O'Gara's on after?

Should be, but might be a little late...................

linked map shows Klas Center at the 50 yard line in the stadium...

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Klas+Center,+Hamline+University&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=38.41771,81.035156&ie=UTF8&t=h&ll=44.968373,-93.164127&spn=0.004661,0.008798&z=17&iwloc=A
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby nyffman on Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:38 am

Hmm! Thanks, I hadn't checked it out. Here is a pdf version of a map of the campus. The Klas Center is directly south of the 50 yard line.
nyffman

Postby jgalt on Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:34 am

I want to be there, but it'll depend on weather and a couple of other unrelated things. Having never been to this facility, what it the best way to find those from the forum who show up? Other than standing on a chair and yelling, "Hey, raise your hand if you're a gun nut!"?

See you tonight?
jgalt

Postby nyffman on Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:15 am

Good question. I know many of our members, the ones who have expressed interest in this race anyway. If the crowd of 500 people at the Coleman/Franken/Barkley debate is any indicator, it won't be too hard to spot a familiar face. I'll watch for you.
nyffman

Postby JohnC on Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:43 pm

Due to work I will be unable to make it. I hope those who do go will give us a detailed report as to what took place.
Thank you.
JohnC

Postby hammAR on Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:06 pm

Great one sided debate.......the short bus was in full display.......

All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby nyffman on Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:59 pm

There's something I don't understand. How has this woman been elected four times? Other than trivial anecdotes, she had nothing to say other than George Bush is the root of all evil and other Democrat talking points and platitudes. Ed, on the other hand, was in complete control of the issues. He answered without hesitation and sounded like he, rather than Betty had been dealing with these issues as his full time job for the last eight years. Her answer to the need for voter registration in order to prevent the fraud we're seeing perpetrated by Acorn and their associated Democrat supporting groups? We don't need no stinkin voter registration. "When I go to vote, they already know who I am." Her fallback answer to pretty much everything was either, "I vote my conscious" or "I'm for the children". Ed, on the other hand, has common sense reasons for the positions he takes. His background as a CPA and attorney are going to come in handy while he helps sort out the mess that liberalism and cronyism have gotten us into.
There were probably about 150 folks attending. I'm not very good at reading a crowd, so, until the discussion got around to voter fraud, I thought we were, at least, evenly divided. When Betty tried to say that voter fraud isn't a problem, there was a pretty good negative reaction from all areas of the room. After that, there were several other times when the crowd, which really was supposed to remain silent during the debate had either had enough of her bs, or was significantly enthused by a response by Matthews that they could no longer keep it zipped. I did submit a question on a 2nd amendment issue which did not get read. But, as I posted earlier, he is 100% solid on this issue, as shown in part by his A rating by NRA, based on his response to their questions. Also, I and others of some prominence on this board have spent a significant enough time with him to know where he stands. The choice is really easy, a guy who knows business, the law and is completely behind the second amendment as it was originally intended or a rubber stamp for Nancy Pelosi and her San Francisco values. For more info, go to Minnesota Democrats Exposed or Residual Forces Oh, if you want the short bus? Here's a picture of Betty and her friends in front of their own short bus.
Betty and friends.jpg
nyffman

Next

Return to Politics