MPLS Mayoral candidates

Firearms related political discussion forum

MPLS Mayoral candidates

Postby connsolo on Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:07 pm

So it's looking like another minneapolis love-in with DFL trying to out DFL other DFLers. The only ray of hope I see is Cam Winton. Any fellow minneapolites have thoughts on the upcoming election?
connsolo

Re: MPLS Mayoral candidates

Postby Heffay on Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:20 pm

connsolo wrote:So it's looking like another minneapolis love-in with DFL trying to out DFL other DFLers. The only ray of hope I see is Cam Winton. Any fellow minneapolites have thoughts on the upcoming election?

It's just like Texas. No biggie. Just vote and be happy you live in a stable democracy, or representative republic or whatever you want to call it.
To the two forum members who have used lines from my posts as their signatures, can't you quote Jesse Ventura or some other great Minnesotan instead of stealing mine? - LePetomane
Heffay

Postby ericinmn1970 on Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:24 am

connsolo wrote:So it's looking like another minneapolis love-in with DFL trying to out DFL other DFLers.

Politically I'm a Libertarian and vote that way as often as I can. My vote will go that way. I won't be supporting Cam Winton, he's been linked to both the DFL (http://conservativeminnesotans.blogspot ... inton.html) and GOP (http://www.minneapolisrepublicans.org/). To me he's a demagogue, much in the same way Obama is. I read what he says and I see a lot of words that are strung together to seem very appealing, while lacking in substance, and I'm not buying it. Earlier this year, I actually had a chance to engage Mr. Winton through facebook and he fielded a number of questions I had about gun legislation.

My take on our conversation was that he's in favor of supporting universal background checks, or a watered down version of such a system. Some gun owners voluntarily conduct their private gun sales by requiring a valid PTP/PTC, MN ID, and bill of sale, it's a CYA measure, it's smart, and should be good enough. Mr. Winton wants to make that practice into a law, by the addition of all private sales/transfers go through an FFL, the seller be required to keep a record of the bill of sale for a 2-5 year period, and a penalty for non compliance. He admits there's no real way of enforcing the law, it's an honor based system, with a penalty for non compliance.

Most importantly, in my opinion anyway, was that Mr. Winton admits that his background check proposal likely won't stop criminals from gaining access to firearms illegally, but still thinks it would be a good law, and would make at least a small amount of difference, while also reassuirng the non-gun owing crowd that something is being done for their safety and protection. So to me, he's just another Dem, looking to pass useless feel good legislation that only law abiding citizens will actually adhere to. Or that potentially holds a law abiding citizen accountable for the actions of someone else. That's my take on him.
"The man who lies asleep will never waken fame, and his desire and all his life drift past him like a dream, and the traces of his memory fade from time like smoke in air, or ripples on a stream." -Dante Alighieri
ericinmn1970

Postby LePetomane on Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:39 am

Cam Winton will run as a lighter version of his DFL opponents. He is running as an independent because he does not fit the DFL mold. If he were a minority or gay the DFL would be all over him. He can't run on the RFL ticket because there are still many Minnesotans who feel that voting R will doom you to the fires of hell, that is if one believes in heaven or hell. The truth is that Minnesota has never had a real Republican. The closest has been Michelle Bachmann and John Kline.

Most Republicans in this state are just lighter versions of their DFL opponents. They will never win an election in that continues. Dayton makes us miserable and promises to make it even worse. Still he will get re-elected. It's like the Russian pessimist who says, "things are so bad here that they cannot get any worse." The Russian optimist answers, "yes they can."

The Republicans in this state (along with the Liberaltarians) stand for nothing. With the current situation, why should one vote for the lighter version when we can have the whole package?
Donald Trump got more fat women moving in one day than Michelle Obama did in eight years.
LePetomane

Postby connsolo on Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:14 pm

Thanks for the info on Cam. That's a dang shame, because any Republican is unelectable and he at least seemed like the least of all evils. That may be the best we can do. Check out Don Samuels recent bit in the strib. You won't know whether to laugh or cry.

http://www.startribune.com/local/blogs/ ... ommentHere
connsolo

Postby LePetomane on Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:59 pm

I met him at the Uptown Art Fair a few weeks ago. He seems like a nice guy, but don't all politician wannabes?
Donald Trump got more fat women moving in one day than Michelle Obama did in eight years.
LePetomane

Postby xd ED on Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:29 pm

connsolo wrote:Thanks for the info on Cam. That's a dang shame, because any Republican is unelectable and he at least seemed like the least of all evils. That may be the best we can do. Check out Don Samuels recent bit in the strib. You won't know whether to laugh or cry.

http://www.startribune.com/local/blogs/ ... ommentHere

No kidding;-
It's frightening what some people actually believe and say in public, thinking someone else will believe it's worthy.:hammer:
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Return to Politics