Respectfully, I do not want 'Constitutional Carry' in MN :)

Firearms related political discussion forum

Postby gunsmith on Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:15 pm

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government ... rry-Permit

Mississippi now allows Open Carry without permit.
I want a threshold for carrying a firearm, and prohibitions for 'offenders'

All the rights are qualified (fire in theater) the overwhelming majority will benefit
from the exclusion from carrying of a very few.

For whatever reason 'Permit Holders' here and across the US are a remarkably law abiding group. and 'maybe'
we are 'excluding' just the right group of people.

It's a 'reasonable' compromise.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitutional_Carry

1 U.S. States that have implemented Constitutional Carry
1.1 Alaska
1.2 Arizona
1.3 Arkansas
1.4 Vermont
1.5 Wyoming (for residents)
1.6 Oklahoma (residents of constitutional carry states)
2 U.S. States that do not require a license to carry but have limitations for unlicensed open and/or concealed carry
2.1 Idaho
2.2 Montana
2.3 New Hampshire
2.4 New Mexico

While everyone was watching news in Colorado during the final weeks of the recalls, Mississippi was instituting a new law to allow the open carry of firearms without a concealed carry permit.

House Bill 2 was passed in Mississippi's last legislative session and signed into law by Governor Phil Bryant (R), but put on hold in July when Circuit Judge Winston Kidd issued an injunction to have the legislature "clarify it."

On August 29 the Mississippi Supreme Court "unanimously upheld the... open carry law," setting the stage for it to take effect.

Fox News carried the Mississippi Supreme Court's ruling:

This court now finds that the circuit judge erred as a matter of law when he found House Bill 2 vague, and therefore, unconstitutional. He also erred when he stated that 'a reasonable person reading the bill could not discern what the allows and what it prohibits.'

State representative Andy Gipson (R-Braxton) sponsored House Bill 2. He says the ability of law-abiding citizens to openly carry firearms for self-defense "confirms, in a very real sense, the right to keep and bear arms."

Adding to this, Governor Bryant said House Bill 2 reaffirms the right to keep and bear arms not only as set forth in the Bill of Rights, but also in Mississippi's constitution.
gunsmith

Postby xd ED on Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:23 pm

So: you're OK with needing the government's permission to defend yourself and your family.

Interesting.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Re: Respectfully, I do not want 'Constitutional Carry' in MN :)

Postby DoxaPar on Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:24 pm

For whatever reason 'Permit Holders' here and across the US are a remarkably law abiding group. and 'maybe'
we are 'excluding' just the right group of people."

Not such a big fan of liberty after all, huh? If you can't defend another's liberty in spite of how you feel about it then you don't know what liberty means and probably shouldn't have the right to carry yourself.
Last edited by DoxaPar on Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DoxaPar

Postby TTS on Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:25 pm

I have see no proof that states with Constitutional Carry have higher rates of crime, committed with a firearm, after the law passes.

Do you assume that criminals and prohibited persons in MN don't carry because they don't have a permit?

The permit does not stop prohibited persons from carrying, it simply makes it more difficult for non-prohibited persons to carry.
Owner
Tactical Training Solutions
Specializing in Self Defense and Firearms Training
http://www.minnesotaccw.com
TTS

Postby jgalt on Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:33 pm

#1 - Show me the statistics that prove those legally carrying in states that don't require a permit are more likely to commit any type of crime using that legally carried firearm in public than those in the states that do.

Absent that, all you have is your "feelings", and your feelings aren't a rational justification for the creation of any law... :roll:

#2 - Even if you can find persuasive statistics, that still leaves open the philosophical question of whether or not, in a country that has the 2nd Amendment and still at least nominally claims to support the notion of individual rights, the state has either the legal or moral authority to restrict a person's natural right to self defense.

Also, realize that anyone who espouses your position cannot ever claim to be a supporter of or believer in the concept of "individual rights". If you are OK w/that, then you don't need to address the philosophical argument. If you aren't OK with that, then you need to resolve the contradiction in your belief system.
jgalt

Postby Pat Cannon on Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:54 pm

Training is good, BUT, respectfully, requiring training and charging a license fee for exercising one's rights should be unconstitutional, just as a voter literacy test and a poll tax are unconstitutional.
Pat Cannon

Postby Mn01r6 on Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:57 pm

jgalt wrote:...and still at least nominally claims to support the notion of individual rights...

Is it sad that I started laughing out loud at that?
Mn01r6

Postby Erud on Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:01 pm

gunsmith wrote:http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/09/12/Mississippi-Open-Carry-The-2nd-Amendment-Is-Your-Carry-Permit

All the rights are qualified (fire in theater) the overwhelming majority will benefit

Respectfully, why do you feel that the government is better suited to decide what rights citizens should be able to exercise than the citizens themselves? What other ways of infringing on our rights do you approve of? Also, do you believe that excluding the "right group of people" will prevent them from carrying firearms? I have a hard time swallowing any compromise when it comes to my rights, no matter how "reasonable" you think it is...
Erud

Postby Erud on Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:04 pm

gunsmith wrote:http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/09/12/Mississippi-Open-Carry-The-2nd-Amendment-Is-Your-Carry-Permit

Respectfully, why do you feel that the government is better suited to decide what rights citizens should be able to exercise than the citizens themselves? What other ways of infringing on our rights do you approve of? Also, do you believe that excluding the "right group of people" will prevent them from carrying firearms? I have a hard time swallowing any compromise when it comes to my rights, no matter how "reasonable" you think it is...
Erud

Postby gunsmith on Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:47 pm

gunsmith

Postby SparkyJeff on Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:17 pm

Self-preservation is a NATURAL right.

We should not require that you/I/children/people/other internet forum users need to attend a class and buy a permit before they can learn to swim, breathe, eat, or exit a burning theater.
A fight for liberty somewhere, is a fight for liberty everywhere.
SparkyJeff

Postby Erud on Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:51 pm

gunsmith wrote:This: ???

viewtopic.php?f=55&t=47156

Irrelevant. What other rights will you sacrifice to feel better?
Erud

Postby jgalt on Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:14 pm

Mn01r6 wrote:
jgalt wrote:...and still at least nominally claims to support the notion of individual rights...

Is it sad that I started laughing out loud at that?

Yes, but not surprising.

Sometimes you just gotta laugh to keep from crying... 8-)
jgalt

Postby bensdad on Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:20 pm

I'm kinda bummed. I thought you were on our side. Apparently, for you, liberty is something the government portions out to the privileged, connected and wealthy. Oh well... as long as you got yours.
I got nothin'
bensdad

Postby CraigJS on Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:24 pm

It's nice to see that we accept another persons opinion, isn't America great!!
CraigJS

Next

Return to Politics