Meet the Sheriff (Rick Stanek, Hennepin County)

Firearms related political discussion forum

Meet the Sheriff (Rick Stanek, Hennepin County)

Postby gunsmith on Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:57 pm

2 questions:

One (for Gocra Guys) what will Stanek be up to in the next round of Gun Politics at the MN legislature
Two What are the chances that Hennepin County will provide secure storage for firearms at Hennepin County Courthouses...They have such firearm lockers for officers AFAIK.

Hennepin County spent something like $200,000 to allow 'Occupy Wallstreet' bums to exercise 1st ammendment rights....How about a fraction of that so I can store my firearm when I enter a county courthouse / faciclity.

Stanek is one of the 'good guys' and there must be a way to phrase the 'request for civilian firearm storage' in a way that is public (which will reflect on his ability as sheriff) and in a way that 'mainstreams' defensive carry of firearms...

Meet the Sheriff

Richard W. Stanek is the 27th Sheriff of Hennepin County and is serving his second term in Minnesota’s largest county with 1.3 million residents. He was first sworn in on January 1, 2007, and was re-elected in 2010.

A 29-year veteran of law enforcement, Sheriff Stanek began his career in the Minneapolis Police Department; he rose through the ranks from Patrol Officer, Detective, Precinct Commander, to Commander of Criminal Investigations. While a police officer, Sheriff Stanek was elected five times to the Minnesota State Legislature; he chaired the House Crime Policy & Finance Committee and authored Minnesota’s Felony DWI law, Minnesota’s standard for DNA collection for predatory offenders, and Minnesota’s Homeland Security Act of 2002. In 2003, he was appointed by the Governor as Commissioner of Public Safety & Director of Homeland Security for Minnesota.

Sheriff Stanek currently serves in leadership positions with several national organizations and on several national boards: National Sheriffs’ Association (NSA) Board of Directors, chair of the NSA Homeland Security Committee, and vice-chair of the NSA Global Affairs Committee. In January of 2012, Sheriff Stanek began a two-year term as President of the Major County Sheriffs’ Association (MCSA). Among his responsibilities with MCSA, Sheriff Stanek participated in the President’s national law enforcement working group that was convened by the White House to address gun violence. In 2013, he testified at the Minnesota State Legislature on improving the system for criminal background checks and the intersection of extreme gun violence and untreated mental illness.

He also serves on Homeland Security’s Interagency Threat Assessment and Coordination Group (ITACG), on the Criminal Intelligence Coordinating Council (CICC), and on the Director of National Intelligence’s Homeland Security/Law Enforcement Partners Group. Sheriff Stanek has been a featured speaker at national public safety conferences and training seminars on topics including: countering violent extremism (CVE), intelligence-led policing, crime policy, managing disaster recovery, and executive leadership. He has testified to a Congressional Committee on the threat of gang-related crime and the National Counterterrorism Center on the issue of Countering Violent Extremism/Community Engagement. Sheriff Stanek also spoke at a Department of Homeland Security Countering Violent Extremism Workshop, where he offered his executive level perspective on implementing CVE programs and building community partnerships. Sheriff Stanek served as an instructor at the 103rd Session of the National Sheriffs’ Institute and on the faculty at the National Critical Incident Management Conference and the National Emergency Managers Association. He is author of Inside the Minds: Immigration Insights, published by Aspatore Books, 2011.

Sheriff Stanek earned a Criminal Justice Degree from the University of Minnesota, and a Master’s Degree in Public Administration from Hamline University. He completed training at the National Sheriffs’ Institute, the FBI’s National Executive Institute and Leadership in Counter-Terrorism, and the U.S. Army War College, National Security Seminar, 57th Session.
Last edited by gunsmith on Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gunsmith

Re: Meet the Sheriff (Rick Stanek, Hennepin County)

Postby Marble on Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:58 pm

I don't think we should push for secure storage. That would imply that we agree with the current practice of judges ILLEGALLY barring courthouse carry, despite it being perfectly legal under MN law so long as the sheriff is notified.
Marble

Postby Andrew Rothman on Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:28 pm

Good questions!

Sheriff Stanek did a standup job resisting President Obama's push for gun control. He wisely focused on the real issue: dealing with mental health issues.

On the other hand, his deputies are not doing a very good job when it comes to administering the carry permit program.

I will ask Sheriff Stanek about both of the topics you mentioned when I meet with him in the next couple of weeks.
Andrew Rothman

Postby gunsmith on Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:30 pm

Marble wrote:I don't think we should push for secure storage. That would imply that we agree with the current practice of judges ILLEGALLY barring courthouse carry, despite it being perfectly legal under MN law so long as the sheriff is notified.

Good point. There is no test case in sight....Joel Rosenberg was 'out on bail' fighting a charge of carrying in 'courthouse' when he died. He was getting jacked around with high bail at one point. Personally I don't see another 'test case' anytime soon.

Here is a 'hidden camera' video of the incident that got Joel Rosenberg in hot water while pushing the envelope against the courthouse carry order....it's un-edited and all the action is in the first minute...it gives you a glimpse into his 'colorful' persona.

gunsmith

Postby Andrew Rothman on Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:48 pm

The law around unjust court orders is very different than the law around unjust laws. Simply* put, you can't "test case" a court order: you have to challenge it in court before you disobey it.

It's called the "collateral bar rule."

If the overly broad order in Hennepin County is to be challenged, it will be a straight-up legal action, not a test case.

In any case, the Sheriff's job is to enforce the court order -- it's the judge who is to blame for it.
-----------------
* As simple as any legal concept can be put, that is. Keep in mind that I'm not a lawyer -- I'm just fortunate to have some good ones** on speed dial.

** Who will undoubtedly say I'm oversimplifying.
Andrew Rothman

Postby RobD on Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:55 am

Exactly. Violation of a court order is a crime, regardless of the validity of the order.
Political Director - MN Gun Owners Caucus/PAC
NRA Instructor (BP, PPITH, PPOTH, Reloading, RSO)
Certified Glock Armorer - Permit to Carry Instructor - Aegis Outdoors
RobD

Postby wasfuzz on Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:59 am

gunsmith wrote:
Stanek is one of the 'good guys'

BE VERY CAREFUL of who you think of as Good Guys - I think he does a very good job of hiding the real Rich Stanek from the public!
ONE* Training LLC - Mapleton, MN
Offering Training in;
NRA Basic Pistol
MN DPS/ BCA Approved Conceal Carry
WI,IA Conceal Carry
NRA LE Firearms Instructor & LEO HR 218 Training
MN DNR Hunter Safety
ASP Expandable Baton
wasfuzz

Postby Brunsi on Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:08 am

+1, he is a politician first and foremost, his loyalties change with the political wind and he IS NOT a supporter of gun rights.
Brunsi

Postby bstrawse on Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:34 am

Brunsi wrote:+1, he is a politician first and foremost, his loyalties change with the political wind and he IS NOT a supporter of gun rights.

Really? Why do you say he doesn't support gun rights?
b
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby photogpat on Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:59 am

Brunsi wrote:+1, he is a politician first and foremost, his loyalties change with the political wind and he IS NOT a supporter of gun rights.

Please cite your source for making the allegation that he's not a supporter of gun rights.
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby jshuberg on Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:12 am

I call bull$hit. I've had the opportunity to shoot the $hit with Stanek a number of times. He's not the most outspoken official on gun rights, but he is always on the right side of the issue.
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Personal Protection In The Home Instructor
NRA Life Member
MCPPA Certified Instructor
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Postby Lumpy on Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:40 am

I don't see much chance of the court orders being overturned unless the district judges want to change them (fat chance). The judges have very broad power to oversee their courts; in theory they can prohibit guns, cell phones, jelly doughnuts, or anything whatsoever they feel "disrupts" the order of the courtroom. AFAIK, it would take an amendment of the MN state constitution to change that. That said, sending in the official notification reduces the offense from a criminal felony to contempt of court.
Lumpy

Postby Sietch on Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:03 pm

We can only judge politicians by their actions. He hasn't made any big moves against gun rights.

As for the court orders, challenging those means appealing to higher courts, i.e. convincing judges to limit their power in their courtrooms (like convincing a king to share sovereignty). That's a tall order anywhere.
Tony Martin. It could happen to us.
Sietch

Postby wasfuzz on Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:59 pm

I can not speak to his stand on Gun Control issues, but I too have had the chance to BS with him at many LEO functions. He is a Chameleon and a Politician first and foremost.
ONE* Training LLC - Mapleton, MN
Offering Training in;
NRA Basic Pistol
MN DPS/ BCA Approved Conceal Carry
WI,IA Conceal Carry
NRA LE Firearms Instructor & LEO HR 218 Training
MN DNR Hunter Safety
ASP Expandable Baton
wasfuzz

Postby Brunsi on Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:58 am

Well just go back and look at his statements and his legistlative record. originally he did not support conceal carry until it was clear it was going to pass.... he is a law and order politician and he does a great job as sheriff but i personally do not believe he would go to bat for the gun owners in minnesota if it came down to it. just my opinion so if you think it is bull to bad i dont care.
Brunsi

Next

Return to Politics