Cities object to state preemption of firearms ordinances.

Firearms related political discussion forum

Cities object to state preemption of firearms ordinances.

Postby Lumpy on Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:40 am

http://www.startribune.com/local/238810551.html

While the League of Cities hasn’t taken a position on permit-to-carry laws, it did argue that cities should have the option to ban guns from city buildings, noting that most city leaders agree on keeping local control over such questions, Finn said.
Lumpy

Re: Cities object to state preemption of firearms ordinances.

Postby gunsmith on Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:15 am

Saw that article...some really stupid quotes from City workers.

Lame. Poor girl who wrote it...just counting the days till she gets laid off from the strib.
gunsmith

Postby CJB on Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:52 pm

Or just do like Lino Lakes and rent space to an ECFE program. Now it's part of a school. Guns banned. :roll:
CJB

Postby BigBlue on Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:01 pm

I love the one by the person about Crystal who said they think they have more leeway in making rules because they "are a charter city". Really, people, you have no idea WTF you're talking about.

BB
BigBlue

Postby farmerj on Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:14 pm

I like this response I got a while back when addressing an issue....

My name is Tony Spector, and I am the Meeker County Attorney. I am relatively new to this position, and want to let you know that my oath of office addresses my responsibilities in accordance with the State and Federal Constitutions as well as the laws of this State. The Second Amendment, of course, falls within this group as does Minnesota Statutes 624.714 and 471.633.

Meeker County Park Ordinance Section 4(e) makes it unlawful to (among other acts) possess a firearm in a Meeker County Park. Minnesota Statutes 624.714, subd. 23 and 471.633 essentially renders unlawful that aspect of the Park Ordinance. Accordingly, Meeker County law enforcement will not be enforcing this ordinance as it relates to holders of valid permits to carry, notwithstanding any sign or ordinance.

Regarding the park signs, some delineate that it is unlawful to possess a firearm in the park. It will take some time to remove the language from the signs. Likewise, the Park Ordinance will need to be modified to reflect the current state of the law. The Park Ordinance was adopted in 1991, twelve years before the 2003 permit to carry legislation.

I hope this helps, and please let me know if you have any questions.

Tony Spector
We reap what we sow. In our case, we have sown our government.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Postby gunsmith on Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:20 pm

:cheerleader2: :bravo: :exactly: :thankyou: :iagree: :flag:

Couldn't find the 'Big Round of Applause' emoticon :)
gunsmith

Postby farmerj on Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:25 pm

well unfortunately, the county ordinance has not been corrected in 10 months since this exchange occurred.

I sent him a response asking him for a follow up.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Postby jdege on Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:26 pm

Lumpy wrote:http://www.startribune.com/local/238810551.html

While the League of Cities hasn’t taken a position on permit-to-carry laws, it did argue that cities should have the option to ban guns from city buildings, noting that most city leaders agree on keeping local control over such questions, Finn said.

I believe that any city should be able to ban firearms from any city building, so long as they are willing to forgo any authority by which they might be able to require that anyone go into a building in which guns were not allowed.
jdege

Postby farmerj on Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:33 pm

jdege wrote:I believe that any city should be able to ban firearms from any city building, so long as they are willing to forgo any authority by which they might be able to require that anyone go into a building in which guns were not allowed.

Huh?? :?:
Current moon phase
farmerj

Postby farmerj on Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:43 pm

farmerj wrote:well unfortunately, the county ordinance has not been corrected in 10 months since this exchange occurred.

I sent him a response asking him for a follow up.

Got a response already...

Thank you for your email. Your question is fair, and it is my intent that this year the ordinance will be amended to bring it into conformity with state law. As I stated in my previous email on March 28, 2013, Meeker County law enforcement will not be enforcing this ordinance as it relates to holders of valid permits to carry.

Thanks,
Tony
Current moon phase
farmerj

Postby photogpat on Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:05 pm

This was a test article to gauge reaction from the community to gun control legislation.

Write and/or email your state reps. Let them know we're watching - and that removing "preemption" will create a tremendous chance to snag otherwise law-abiding citizens in a web of confusing city/county ordinances regarding permitted carry.
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby gunsmith on Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:10 pm

Hit the comment section....leftys being slagged mercilessly
gunsmith

Postby farmerj on Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:13 pm

Local govt isn't complying with state laws as it is.

Think it really matters to them?

My own representative has already stated, pro gun and anything related to domestic violence is a career ending vote.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:06 pm

farmerj wrote:Local govt isn't complying with state laws as it is.

Think it really matters to them?

My own representative has already stated, pro gun and anything related to domestic violence is a career ending vote.

Does that mean he/she thinks a pro gun vote is a career ending vote?
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby jdege on Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:09 pm

farmerj wrote:
jdege wrote:I believe that any city should be able to ban firearms from any city building, so long as they are willing to forgo any authority by which they might be able to require that anyone go into a building in which guns were not allowed.

Huh?? :?:

While I might disagree with a private business that decides to ban guns, I recognize their right to do so. I am free, after all, to not frequent the business.

Government is different in two ways. First, that they can require me to enter the business, and second that their using my tax money to pay for it.

So, if a local government were willing to surrender the authority to compel behavior, and to no longer fund itself with tax dollars, I'd not object to their banning guns in their offices.
jdege

Next

Return to Politics