Comments on minnesotagunrights.org

Firearms related political discussion forum

Comments on minnesotagunrights.org

Postby mrp on Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:05 pm

Someone visiting minnesotagunrights.org might assume it's a Minnesota group. The text on their website sure makes it sound local...

"Here in Minnesota"
"our local communities"
"want to outwork us"
"agenda down our throats"
"so that we can REACT when our rights"
"defend our rights"
"to safeguard our"

And finally,

"These are the people that we report to – not a boss 1,000 miles away who doesn’t understand Minnesota and what Minnesotans want."

So, who is minnesotagunrights.org? The executive director is Iowa resident Chris Dorr. Chris may not be 1,000 miles away, but he's not from Minnesota, and all of his "we" and "us" language is misleading, at best.

Minnesotagunrights.org wants you to think they were involved in Minnesota legislative issues. On their Minnesota Legislation page they posted an article which appeared to be their own content.

Monday, 28 October 2013 07:01
Gun control won't come to a vote this session, Minnesota House speaker says
Written by Administrator

It was six paragraphs, and ended with:

"But state gun rights advocates quickly fought off proposals to ban assault-style weapons and high-capacity magazines this year. They packed legislative hearings with hundreds of supporters and inundated lawmakers with thousands of emails and phone calls urging them to leave law-abiding gun owners alone.

The other side early on lacked the organization and lobbying skills, observers said. Legislators added that there are at least dozens -- if not hundreds -- of gun owners for every one gun control supporter they hear from."

There was no attribution other than "Written by Administrator". The story wasn't theirs. They copied it from the Pioneer Press, dressed it up with a photo they copied from the Star Tribune, and republished it on their site. Why did they choose to only republish the first six paragraphs? Well, my guess is they stopped there because the seventh mentions GOCRA, one of the groups actually responsible for getting stuff done here. That seventh paragraph starts:

"Andrew Rothman, vice president of the Minnesota Gun Owners Civil Rights Alliance, said"

You can read the entire article here: http://www.twincities.com/ci_23151560/minnesota-legislature-gun-control-vote-wont-happen-this

The Pioneer Press story was from May, 2013. Minnesotagunrights.org didn't exist until July, and they didn't post the story to their site until late October.

Another example of Chris Dorr's attempt to appear local and relevant can be seen in the petitions section. Here you are urged to sign a "Petition to Restore Constitutional Carry in Minnesota". It includes: "Constitutional Carry would allow every law-abiding Iowa citizen who wants one to be able to carry a gun to protect themselves and their families;"

Yep, he didn't even have the decency to replace "Iowa" with "Minnesota" in the text. It goes on:

"In the interests of freedom, and the right of individuals to protect themselves and their families, I urge you to both cosponsor and seek roll-call votes on The Minnesota Constitutional Carry bill."

Chris managed to get the Iowa/Minnesota change right in this paragraph. However, there is no Minnesota Constitutional Carry Bill. It simply doesn't exist. There was one in Iowa, though.

So thanks Chris, but we're doing just fine without you. You can head back home now. Please.

You can read more about minnesotagunrights.org in this series:

Carpetbaggers
http://www.shotinthedark.info/wp/?p=39222

Carpetbaggers: All Or Nothing, And Nothing
http://www.shotinthedark.info/wp/?p=39619

Carpetbaggers: In The Out Dorr
http://www.shotinthedark.info/wp/?p=39637

http://www.shotinthedark.info/wp/?p=39640
Carpetbaggers: Not Of This World

http://www.shotinthedark.info/wp/?p=39721
Carpetbaggers: Of Moo And Cow
mrp

Re: Comments on minnesotagunrights.org

Postby LarryP on Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:06 pm

So this group is a scam?
LarryP

Postby bstrawse on Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:05 am

LarryP wrote:So this group is a scam?

Yup.

They raised north of $125,000 in Iowa in 2011 - where it went, no one knows.

They claim to be the only no-compromise gun lobby in MN - but they aren't registered as lobbyists.

They've yet to be at any meetings at the legislature last fall or this month.

Zero credibility - in Minnesota or Iowa.
b
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby Mn01r6 on Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:09 am

Not a group I want to trust my hard earned non-deductible contributions with.
Mn01r6

Postby gunsmith on Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:29 am

What's the best way for the 'Outing' to continue....ordinarily a call to a TV station would be in order....but an expose could also make the legit gun groups look shady....

This Sucks.

Starting a simple Facebook page or a free Wordpress blog would get any criticism of the group into a google search of their name.
gunsmith

Postby Nougat on Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:28 am

so with our new ''patriot''ic laws besides laws against mega corps not being enforced and bailouts for those who don't need them they've taken fraud off the books as long as it promotes the current agendas even if it is just by misleading people from ways that could actually help protect their actual rights? and instead of prosecuting those types persecuting average joe is the thing to do?
Nougat

Postby shooter115 on Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:56 pm

Ugg...Just got another email from these jackoffs forwarded to me from one of the members of our gun club. This would be about the 5th time I've had warn someone about these crooks.
shooter115

Postby mrp on Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:28 pm

If you want to pay them a visit they're nice enough to provide their address and a handy google map so you can see where they're located. They will even let you put in your address so you can map a route to their office. And by "their office" I mean a mailbox in a UPS store in a strip mall which most likely just forwards to some guy in Iowa.

mrp

Postby 870TC on Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:22 pm

Just got one of there sky is falling emails forwarded to me by a fellow gun club member. Had never heard of this group, thanks for the CORRECT info!.
870TC

Postby gdubya on Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:10 am

Supposedly they are giving away a DPMS AR via Ahlmans and in their email are stating as "coming up" all the bills from last year. Unless they get resubmitted under the same bill numbers, its a bunch of hooey.
gdubya

Postby bstrawse on Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:41 am

Bills from the 2013 session do not have to be reintroduced - they can take action on those bills as they are still valid. When the 2014 session ends, then those bills are dead.
b
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby westhope on Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:24 pm

Just returned from the 2015 Ahlman's Shooters Round Up. Good time!

Minnesota Guns Rights had a very large presents there. Almost demanding that I sign their petition before proceeding through. I wouldn't sign it.

Their representative claimed responsibility for passing the MN carry bill in 2003/5. Being one of those that helped with the shall issue bill, I told him they were not around at that time.

Not sure if I trust these guys. I will talk to Mike or Larry Ahlman after the Round Up is done.
Because I care, I carry.
westhope

Postby photogpat on Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:26 pm

Are you &$%#ing kidding me? They're trying to claim credit for MPPA (Carry Bill)???
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby cobb on Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:31 pm

westhope wrote:Just returned from the 2015 Ahlman's Shooters Round Up. Good time!

Minnesota Guns Rights had a very large presents there. Almost demanding that I sign their petition before proceeding through. I wouldn't sign it.

Their representative claimed responsibility for passing the MN carry bill in 2003/5. Being one of those that helped with the shall issue bill, I told him they were not around at that time.

Not sure if I trust these guys. I will talk to Mike or Larry Ahlman after the Round Up is done.

Dang, didn't even remember it was this weekend. I would like to go just to visit with the MGR group. :twisted:
“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result”. - Winston Churchill

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING
MN. DPS/BCA approved training organization.

http://www.RiverValleyTraining.com
cobb

Postby bstrawse on Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:06 am

Relevant update: They raised $294,000 in Iowa in 2014 while accomplishing.. nothing.

Minnesota data still not available yet.

b
bstrawse

Next

Return to Politics