The long-term prospects for firearms freedom?

Firearms related political discussion forum

The long-term prospects for firearms freedom?

Postby Lumpy on Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:38 pm

In the wake of the passage of "Shall Issue" in Minnesota and many states, and the pivotal Supreme Court decisions of Heller and McDonald, the future seemed bright for firearms freedom. But now I'm not so sure. The liberal left is never, ever going to let go of the issue, and in non-gun related matters is advancing on the political stage. The epidemic of public shootings has inflamed public opinion; Kalifornia is even more anti-gun than ever before, New York isn't far behind, and local legal victories for gun freedom seem to be evenly matched by local defeats. The country is growing increasingly urban, and in response to crime and violence, the solution perennially offered to is restrict or ban guns.

Culturally, the prospects seem even worse. Increasingly, our society seems to be promoting a standard of pacifism that would have been considered a parody a generation ago. Most anti-gun people you try to talk to about the issue don't even understand what's to debate: of course weapons have no place in a peaceful society. They blankly don't comprehend how anyone could think differently. If only there were no guns ( :roll: ) they'd be safe from gun violence, and blame gun owners for keeping guns a part of American life. The anti-gunners can only assume that gun owners are regressive troglodytes, delusional or even borderline psychopathic (after all, who could want to own a tool for killing people? :evil: ) Dispassionate logical arguments founder on the rock of "People are DYING! CHILDREN are DYING!!"

I feel like a saloon owner in 1910, seeing the tsunami of Prohibition swelling on the horizon. Tell me it's not as bad as I fear!
Lumpy

Re: The long-term prospects for firearms freedom?

Postby bstrawse on Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:44 pm

It's as bad as you fear.

2014 is going to be a tough fight in Minnesota I think - both in the legislature and at the ballot box. And that's not just fundraising rhetoric.
b
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby loose on Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:29 pm

I'm gonna be optomistic and hope that the libertarians start making some headway, hoping we aren't already to far gone.
loose

Postby gunsmith on Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:04 am

3 Words:

America Has Fallen

Other than that I think the prospect is for continual conflict between the two sides.

If Barak Hussein had not gotten a second term....the sky would be a different color today.

I look at the year 1947 the height of 'Pax Americana' to measure how far we've fallen.

The soviets were years away from their own nukes and we appeared to be on the verge of solving the world's problems with peace and prosperity.

We have 2 additional enemies today: The Media and the 'Government Schools' especially the Universities.

Obamacare is a serious defeat....the central government will slowly work it's way into every level of your life.

'Managing the Decline' is still a worthwhile effort.

You want pictures? Here's the google for 'Detroit in Ruins'

https://www.google.com/search?newwindow ... eKu-8jK2AQ

Part of the Chrysler plant where Merlin engines were built for the P-51 fighter.

gunsmith

Postby ericinmn1970 on Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:37 am

I'm also wondering just how much longer I'll have my right before I'm considered a criminal. According to this article...: http://www.examiner.com/article/nra-fai ... gun-rights

Immigration reform will add over 8,000,000 anti-gun voters to the voting rolls,” Gun Owners of America warned its members and supporters in a January 24 alert. “There may be as many as 11.5 million persons illegally in the United States. And, a Pew poll from last year indicated that if illegal immigrants were given citizenship, they would vote for liberal, anti-gun candidates by an 8-to-1 margin.

“This is exactly what happened to California -- which was once a Red State,” GOA explained. “Because of the Simpson-Mazzoli amnesty bill of 1986, the state lurched violently to the left and now can’t pass gun control restrictions fast enough.

...It seems almost certain in my lifetime, I could see a complete gun ban for all citizens who aren't active military, law enforcement, or security personnel for the ruling class. But then again, maybe it won't go that far and we'll end up instead with gun laws similar to Canada, the UK, and Australia; where firearms can be owned more for sporting purposes, but not self defense.

Great Britain:
http://www.loc.gov/law/help/firearms-co ... p#Firearms

Canada:
http://loc.gov/law/help/firearms-contro ... p#Overview

Australia:
http://www.loc.gov/law/help/firearms-co ... tralia.php

**EDIT**
Perhaps instead of just writing and calling our politicians and demanding them to respect our rights, we need to really start hammering on all weapons, ammo, tactical gear, and any other manufacturers of things firearms related who operate in this country? We need to really start driving home the message to them that if we lose our rights, they lose profits, huge profits, and it would be in their best interests to get involved in this fight?
"The man who lies asleep will never waken fame, and his desire and all his life drift past him like a dream, and the traces of his memory fade from time like smoke in air, or ripples on a stream." -Dante Alighieri
ericinmn1970

Postby LePetomane on Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:11 am

I don't have high hopes for it at the pace that we are headed for totalitarianism.
Donald Trump got more fat women moving in one day than Michelle Obama did in eight years.
LePetomane

Postby photogpat on Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:30 am

Is it more acceptable to general society to own a handgun today than it was 20 years ago?

Is it more acceptable to general society to own an "evil black rifle" today than it was 20 year ago?

Can I carry a handgun more freely today than I could 20 years ago?

EDIT: Does Minnesota now have a PAC dedicated to electing pro-2A candidates? ;)

Since the answer to those FOUR questions is "Yes" - we're gaining ground. We just have to keep the ground we have in the lean years, and gain more where we can.
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby gunsmith on Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:21 am

photogpat wrote:Is it more acceptable to general society to own a handgun today than it was 20 years ago?

Is it more acceptable to general society to own an "evil black rifle" today than it was 20 year ago?

Since the answer to those FOUR questions is "Yes" - we're gaining ground. We just have to keep the ground we have in the lean years, and gain more where we can.

4 Part Zinger.

Good Post :)
gunsmith

Postby TTS on Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:40 am

photogpat wrote:Is it more acceptable to general society to own a handgun today than it was 20 years ago?

Owner
Tactical Training Solutions
Specializing in Self Defense and Firearms Training
http://www.minnesotaccw.com
TTS

Postby gunsmith on Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:06 am

Fixed that for ya. :)

like copy.jpg
like copy.jpg (27.63 KB) Viewed 5298 times
gunsmith

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:44 am

Regardless of how many new gun owners or carry permit laws we have, our freedoms will only last until the progressives no longer fear losing elections.

Or, when our economy collapses. I predict either or both will happen sometime during the next Presidential term.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby ericinmn1970 on Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:51 am

Thanks for this. I do like seeing some positives being pointed out.
"The man who lies asleep will never waken fame, and his desire and all his life drift past him like a dream, and the traces of his memory fade from time like smoke in air, or ripples on a stream." -Dante Alighieri
ericinmn1970

Postby Ironbear on Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:59 am

been posted before... worth posting again...

http://www.gun-nuttery.com/rtc.php

"Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.” ~Blaise Pascal~
Ironbear

Postby ericinmn1970 on Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:05 am

Rip Van Winkle wrote:Regardless of how many new gun owners or carry permit laws we have, our freedoms will only last until the progressives no longer fear losing elections.

Or, when our economy collapses. I predict either or both will happen sometime during the next Presidential term.

My concern comes from what I read in the article I linked above and that's just one example. But it seems the Dems just want to gather a majority to out vote any opposition (tyranny of the majority). Clearly there's no respect anymore for the Constitution by law makers in D.C. as well as a large portion of the populace of this country! The hypocrisy from the "liberals" is astonishing. The demand respect and acknowledgement of their rights, while being very unwilling to repsect those of their political adversaries. And their supporters go along with this and never ever seem to question anything! It's a bit scary.

I watch a show called "The Walking Dead" and it's about people surviving a zombie apocalypse. At times, I think life is imitating art. :shock:
ericinmn1970

Postby ericinmn1970 on Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:10 am

Ironbear wrote:been posted before... worth posting again...

http://www.gun-nuttery.com/rtc.php

Makes me want to move to Alaska. At least I'd have a massive expanse of wilderness I could disappear into.
ericinmn1970

Next

Return to Politics