GOCRA/GOPAC endorsements?

Firearms related political discussion forum

GOCRA/GOPAC endorsements?

Postby Lumpy on Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:04 pm

Can someone give me a link to candidate ratings for the upcoming midterm elections?
Lumpy

Re: GOCRA/GOPAC endorsements?

Postby RobD on Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:11 pm

GOCRA Cannot, and does not endorse.

We are currently researching our ability to grade candidates with the new 510c4 guidelines the IRS put out. If we are able to, we will have grades out before primaries, and general elections.

GOPAC has endorsed one candidate that I know of, Julianne Ortman for US Senate. I suspect more are in the works. Bryan will chime in soon.

Keep in mind the field is very large now in many races...
Political Director - MN Gun Owners Caucus/PAC
NRA Instructor (BP, PPITH, PPOTH, Reloading, RSO)
Certified Glock Armorer - Permit to Carry Instructor - Aegis Outdoors
RobD

Postby bstrawse on Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:08 pm

Sorry for the delay, I was out of the country in a place that is banned from seeing mnguntalk.com ;)

We will issue other endorsements throughout the spring and summer - and likely a full voter guide before the November General Elections. GOCRA will continue to issue candidate ratings for state elections - the PAC will issue endorsements.

The PAC will also issue candidate ratings for the federal officeseekers along with endorsements.

We should have a few new endorsements coming out quite shortly.
b
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby Lumpy on Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:33 pm

Another local caucus meeting Sat 4-12 before the R. state convention in May. Ortman for senate, but who has the best pro-2nd record for governor or representative?
Lumpy

Postby bstrawse on Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:13 pm

Lumpy wrote:Another local caucus meeting Sat 4-12 before the R. state convention in May. Ortman for senate, but who has the best pro-2nd record for governor or representative?

We're not endorsing a candidate for Governor until after the convention is over. In general, it's a very strong slate for 2A for the Republicans.

We're very unlikely to endorse any other candidates for office until after the state conventions are over.

If the current plan holds, GOCRA will issue ratings of candidates for state offices - and that will be part of determination for endorsements.

Thanks!
b
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby jgalt on Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:33 am

Why not endorse pre-convention? And I do mean both (or all) parties. Is it logistical issues having to do with too many candidates to vett?

Post convention, isn't it a bit late to do much to effect the outcome? Let's face it - a very large number of voters stick with their favorite party almost regardless of that party's nominee, so the only way to truly have an affect is to influence who gets nominated.

I'm not suggesting GOPAC is doing anything wrong, and I'm sure there are legitimate reasons for only endorsing post-convention. I'm just curious about what those reasons are...

Thanks for the work you guys are doing!
jgalt

Postby bstrawse on Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:52 am

jgalt wrote:Why not endorse pre-convention? And I do mean both (or all) parties. Is it logistical issues having to do with too many candidates to vett?

Post convention, isn't it a bit late to do much to effect the outcome? Let's face it - a very large number of voters stick with their favorite party almost regardless of that party's nominee, so the only way to truly have an affect is to influence who gets nominated.

I'm not suggesting GOPAC is doing anything wrong, and I'm sure there are legitimate reasons for only endorsing post-convention. I'm just curious about what those reasons are...

Thanks for the work you guys are doing!

It's a combination of factors - one are the logistical issues (2-3 parties or more in each race, times X number of candidates competing, then the need to review races where the endorsed candidate did not win to pick a new endorsed candidate, if any). There's also the issue of GOCRA's timeline for issuing ratings (later this year) - and not wanting to conflict with that.

The Governor's race is a great example. We know Dayton's positions, but he would still have to be surveyed, plus the Republican candidates and 3rd parties. The Republicans down the line are all quite strong on 2A with minimal, if any, differences. We're not interested in meddling in that race until the party has at least narrowed the field - and then we can decide.

Keep in mind, there will be several endorsed Pro-2A DFL candidates as well - so we have to look at all of the parties in a race against our criteria.

Hope this helps ;)
b
bstrawse

Postby Lumpy on Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:05 am

bstrawse wrote: The Republicans down the line are all quite strong on 2A with minimal, if any, differences.
b
Except for the infamous McFadden. That's what I'm trying to avoid at the caucus level, endorsing a wolf in sheep's clothing.
Lumpy

Postby Lumpy on Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:21 am

Update: didn't bother to attend GOP CD5 meeting today. No R candidates yet so nothing to choose from, and CD5 is considered a longshot anyway against Ellison; decided $20 entry fee wasn't worth it.
Lumpy

Postby bstrawse on Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:45 pm

Lumpy wrote:
bstrawse wrote: The Republicans down the line are all quite strong on 2A with minimal, if any, differences.
b
Except for the infamous McFadden. That's what I'm trying to avoid at the caucus level, endorsing a wolf in sheep's clothing.

That sentence was about the governor's race - the Senate race is an entirely different story.
b
bstrawse

Return to Politics