Does Franken even read the emails he gets?

Firearms related political discussion forum

Does Franken even read the emails he gets?

Postby MaryB on Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:07 am

And isn't this the exact same letter he sent out after Sandy Hook when I told him no gun control is wanted by most Minnesotans?

"Dear Mary,

Thank you for contacting me regarding the debate over gun policy. I appreciate hearing from you on this important issue.

I have been deeply saddened by the horrific shootings that have struck our communities far too many times in recent years. My thoughts and prayers are with the victims and survivors of these tragedies and their families. Unfortunately, tragic shootings are not uncommon. Around thirty Americans die every day in gun-related homicides.

I support the rights of Minnesotans to own firearms for collection, protection, and recreation. After the tragedy at Sandy Hook Elementary School in 2012, I traveled across Minnesota to listen to community members' thoughts on reducing gun violence and respecting Americans' rights under the Second Amendment. After talking to Minnesotans, I believe that we can continue to honor our state's tradition of responsible gun ownership while taking commonsense steps to protect our children and make our communities safer.

One of these steps is updating the federal background check system. Background checks have blocked gun sales to more than 1.5 million people who were ineligible to own a gun, including convicted felons and people with serious mental illnesses. However, because many states and local governments have not diligently submitted records to the system, the database overlooks important information about prospective gun buyers. In addition, the background check requirement applies only to sales made by licensed firearm dealers. Background checks aren't required for gun sales on the secondary market - an estimated 40 percent of all gun sales. We need to improve the background check system while not intruding on transactions like family gifts, where someone gives a gun to a family member.

Another step we can take is regulation of certain weapons and ammunition feeding devices, or magazines. Magazines holding more than ten rounds of ammunition were used in shootings at Newtown, Aurora, Tucson, Blacksburg, and elsewhere. Studies indicate that these magazines are also used in a high percentage of police murders. High-capacity magazines allow a shooter to fire continuously without stopping. I have cosponsored legislation to place reasonable limits on magazine size. In addition, weapons with military-style features have been used in several mass shootings. While people who already own these weapons should not be forced to give them up, we can place responsible limits on such weapons going forward, without banning such weapons altogether.

Recent gun violence has also called attention to the need to improve our country's mental health care system. I'm glad this issue is finally receiving the attention it deserves. It is important to recognize that people with mental illness are no more likely to become violent than those without mental illness. In fact, people with mental illness are more likely to be victims of violence. Since coming to the Senate, I've been working to improve access to critical mental health care that helps families achieve healthy and productive lives. I've fought for full implementation of Paul Wellstone's Mental Health Parity and Addiction Equity Act, which requires insurance companies covering mental health and substance abuse services to provide comprehensive coverage. I have also introduced the Mental Health in Schools Act and Justice and Mental Health Collaboration Act, which would improve access to mental health services in our education and criminal justice systems.

In April, the Senate considered several gun violence prevention measures. Unfortunately, this legislation stalled on the Senate floor. Still, I am hopeful that we can continue to make progress. As future measures come up for debate, I will continue to seek input from Minnesotans, and I will be sure to keep your thoughts in mind.

Thank you again for contacting me, and please don't hesitate to do so in the future regarding this or any other matter of concern to you.

Sincerely,

Signature

Al Franken
United States Senator"
MaryB

Re: Does Franken even read the emails he gets?

Postby farmerj on Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:55 am

Most contact by the congress critters never make it past their staffers. They have template responses that they plug your info into and away that letter goes. I forget if its 5 or 10% might actually make it to the actual critter.
We reap what we sow. In our case, we have sown our government.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Postby LePetomane on Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:39 am

Betty McCollum has a very condescending generic reply.
Donald Trump got more fat women moving in one day than Michelle Obama did in eight years.
LePetomane

Postby Spartan on Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:08 am

LePetomane wrote:Betty McCollum has a very condescending generic reply.

Imagine that..... never thought about her as a Legislator .... but only as the wicked witch of the East.... so it didn't surprise me....

She conquered the Country of the Munchkins and tyrannically ruled them after the fall of King Pastoria, making them slave for her night and day. The Wizard of Oz was unable to subdue her.

Among her exceedingly cruel actions was the enchantment of Nick Chopper's axe which caused him to cut up his own body and eventually turn into the Tin Woodman.

She met her end when Dorothy Gale's house fell on her. Her dry withered body soon turned to dust and Dorothy obtained her magical Silver Shoes. Her death was cause for great celebration amongh the Munchkins. (The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
Spartan

Postby LarryFlew on Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:21 am

Why would he read your emails when he already knows what is best for us????
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby 20mm on Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:19 pm

I hear he likes to stand on his desk in Washington and act like a preacher when groups of people visit him.
"Go 20mm" - Sigfan220
""Real men shoot 20mm." - FJ540
"If I could be reincarnated as a fabric, I would come back as a 38 double-D bra." - Jesse Ventura
20mm

Postby Rooster17 on Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:32 pm

o no my 1911 might be banned! It has military style features! At least I think it does? Military used to use it right?
Rooster17

Re: Re: Does Franken even read the emails he gets?

Postby MWAG on Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:59 pm

Rooster17 wrote:o no my 1911 might be banned! It has military style features! At least I think it does? Military used to use it right?

Good thing that the US branches deem your sidearm as a defensive weapon
I've been wrong once in my life

GOCRA member
MWAG

Postby gbono23 on Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:14 am

And why should we believe anything this guy says?
Attachments
download (1).jpg
And we should believe this guy why?
download (1).jpg (8.23 KB) Viewed 3475 times
gbono23

Postby MWAG on Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:14 pm

Obviously because he's good enough, smart enough, and gosh darn it, people like him.
I've been wrong once in my life

GOCRA member
MWAG

Postby 20mm on Thu May 15, 2014 9:53 am

A better questions would be: Does Franken even live in Minnesota?
"Go 20mm" - Sigfan220
""Real men shoot 20mm." - FJ540
"If I could be reincarnated as a fabric, I would come back as a 38 double-D bra." - Jesse Ventura
20mm

Postby MaryB on Thu May 15, 2014 8:14 pm

I finally wrote Franken an email telling him exactly what I thought. Imagine this, no response... he has to be voted out
MaryB

Postby LePetomane on Fri May 16, 2014 4:05 am

MaryB wrote:I finally wrote Franken an email telling him exactly what I thought. Imagine this, no response... he has to be voted out

He never should have been voted in. But the people who have historically have voted DFL would not be convinced to vote for a republican,even a RINO. All Franken has to do is give some folksy phony campaign speech and these people worship him. He is a mean, dangerous man. There is nothing funny about him.

And why is it called DFL? Are Minnesota democrats better than other democrats? They certainly think they are with their high and mighty holier than though self righteous attitude. They are continually lecturing the people of this state on what is good for them (voting for them) because they are the party of the common man. That is why they put up a common man (Dayton) as their candidate. Whoever votes for these people will get what they have coming to them. They will be taxed into oblivion with all of their hard earned resources going to government projects and the permanent underclass. I will be okay because I will be long gone.

If you like your Franken and Dayton you can keep your Franken and Dayton!!!!!!!

It would be nice if the people of this state would wake up and come to the realization that these politicians are supposed to be working for them. Isn't the function of government to serve the people? The people now serve the government. My parents went through that in eastern Europe and it isn't good.

Someone asked if Franken even lives in this state. My guess is that he does not. Too arrogant to live in what he considers "fly over" country and the taxes are too high.

For those are afraid to vote for Republicans, you will regret it when the Dems have absolute rule and make you even more miserable than you already are. Then it will be too late!!!
Donald Trump got more fat women moving in one day than Michelle Obama did in eight years.
LePetomane

Return to Politics