Julianne Ortman write in campaign

Firearms related political discussion forum

Re: Julianne Ortman write in campaign

Postby bstrawse on Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:10 am

MaryB wrote:At some point we have to disconnect from the "vote for the least of 2 evils" mode and start trying to put decent people in office who will represent Minnesota and not the wealthy donors that bankroll them

There are 2.5 million gun owners in this state - we are more than capable of raising enough money to make a difference in a campaign (or campaigns). If we realize that we're capable of doing such a thing :)
b
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Re: Re: Julianne Ortman write in campaign

Postby goett047 on Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:24 am

bstrawse wrote:
MaryB wrote:At some point we have to disconnect from the "vote for the least of 2 evils" mode and start trying to put decent people in office who will represent Minnesota and not the wealthy donors that bankroll them

There are 2.5 million gun owners in this state - we are more than capable of raising enough money to make a difference in a campaign (or campaigns). If we realize that we're capable of doing such a thing :)
b

I'd wager a good percentage of them vote Democrat too

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
goett047

Postby jgalt on Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:45 am

LePetomane wrote:

Unfortunately that will never happen. Money talks.

And a bunch of ...folks... think that winning, no matter what the cost, is all that matters and won't entertain any other alternative, even when presented - repeatedly - with clear evidence that doing so is incredibly ...counterproductive to their values. This includes a significant percentage of those who vote either DFL/Democrat or Republican... :roll:
jgalt

Postby Ghost on Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:15 am

ericinmn1970 wrote:I know more than my fair share of Democrat party voter. And it really does not matter how many facts you show them. It doesn't matter how rational your argument. It doesn't matter how blatantly a Democrat party politician lies, or how corrupt they are. You talk to them, their eyes glaze over, and they begin to repeat the talking points as if they were chanting some voodoo magic spell. Democrat party voters will continue to vote for ANY Democrat, strictly to keep Republicans, or any other party, from winning elections. The only way to win and continue to have any semblance of a voice in our political system is for those who are opposed to Democrat party politics, agendas, ideologies, and policies; is to unite under one party. That's the way I see it now.

I know people whom if you talked to them their views align exactly with conservatives but their daddy taught them to vote democrat and they will only vote democrat there is no changing that in them. So it's the D's vs everybody else, the everybody else needs to unite to get some traction towards improvement.
Ghost

Postby jgalt on Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:17 am

Ghost wrote:
ericinmn1970 wrote:I know more than my fair share of Democrat party voter. And it really does not matter how many facts you show them. It doesn't matter how rational your argument. It doesn't matter how blatantly a Democrat party politician lies, or how corrupt they are. You talk to them, their eyes glaze over, and they begin to repeat the talking points as if they were chanting some voodoo magic spell. Democrat party voters will continue to vote for ANY Democrat, strictly to keep Republicans, or any other party, from winning elections. The only way to win and continue to have any semblance of a voice in our political system is for those who are opposed to Democrat party politics, agendas, ideologies, and policies; is to unite under one party. That's the way I see it now.

I know people whom if you talked to them their views align exactly with conservatives but their daddy taught them to vote democrat and they will only vote democrat there is no changing that in them. So it's the D's vs everybody else, the everybody else needs to unite to get some traction towards improvement.

Switch Democrat w/Republican and "D" for "R", and I could say the same thing. Your point is...?
jgalt

Postby Ghost on Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:23 am

jgalt wrote:
Ghost wrote:

Switch Democrat w/Republican and "D" for "R", and I could say the same thing. Your point is...?

Point is if you want to beat the democrat, the other side needs to unite on one person or we continue down the current path we are on.
Ghost

Postby MJY65 on Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:34 am

jgalt wrote:And a bunch of ...folks... think that winning, no matter what the cost, is all that matters and won't entertain any other alternative, even when presented - repeatedly - with clear evidence that doing so is incredibly ...counterproductive to their values. This includes a significant percentage of those who vote either DFL/Democrat or Republican... :roll:

OK, enlighten me. What's the benefit of losing?
MJY65

Postby jgalt on Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:00 am

MJY65 wrote:
jgalt wrote:And a bunch of ...folks... think that winning, no matter what the cost, is all that matters and won't entertain any other alternative, even when presented - repeatedly - with clear evidence that doing so is incredibly ...counterproductive to their values. This includes a significant percentage of those who vote either DFL/Democrat or Republican... :roll:

OK, enlighten me. What's the benefit of losing?

Re-read & try again...

The idea that winning, no matter the cost, is a good long term idea seems rather foolish when the cost is the slow train to hell rather than the fast one. Continue to vote for the lesser of two evils = still voting for evil. No one has yet even tried to make an argument saying otherwise. All we're getting is "the R is better than the D", and "he's our guy so he's gotta listen to us".

If voting for the R because s/he's better than the D is what you think is right, go for it. I and many others think it is no longer a viable path forward, but why should you care what we think? If for some reason you do care what we think and you want to persuade us otherwise, convince us that voting for the lesser of two evils is in some way not still a vote for evil...

:cheers:
jgalt

Postby Erud on Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:09 am

The problem is that when you decide to vote for the "good" rather than the "lesser of 2 evils", you will almost always end up with the greater of 2 evils. Your point is valid, but not practical.
Erud

Postby Spartan on Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:31 am

I think I have been discussing the evils of Mc-Rino for some months now...... I looked at the 3rd party candidate and she is goofy .....
Abler is nice guy but a poor legislator if you hate taxes and big government......
so the hood winking worked ..... now you are stuck with either voting for Mc-Fadden or Al Franken .... or as seen on a south park " a giant douche or a Turd sandwich"

anybody here was wasn't a delegate or a caucus attendee ... shut up and get a napkin ..... if you were in the caucus ...get a napkin... if you were a delegate .. thanks for selling out ... and get a napkin .......

because you either get Al Franken ( giant douche ) or Mc-turd sandwich .... any other vote is also a vote for the giant douche ....
Last edited by Spartan on Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:36 am, edited 3 times in total.
Spartan

Postby jgalt on Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:33 am

Erud wrote:The problem is that when you decide to vote for the "good" rather than the "lesser of 2 evils", you will almost always end up with the greater of 2 evils. Your point is valid, but not practical.

So, neither side thinks the other is practical. This is not new news... ;)

The counter argument is that every once in a while, you actually end up with the good. I'd rather vote on principle for a small chance at good, than accept that evil is the best we can hope for.
jgalt

Postby jgalt on Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:36 am

Spartan wrote:...because you either get Al Franken ( giant douche ) or Mc-turd sandwich .... another vote is also a vote for the giant douche ....

Or, in a world where words have meaning: another vote is not a vote for Franken - it is, well, another vote... :roll:
jgalt

Postby 20mm on Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:05 am

McDonalds or BurgerKing?
Coke or Pepsi?
Republicans or Democrats?
Miller or Bud?

It doesn't matter which one you pick, unless you go with neither.
"Go 20mm" - Sigfan220
""Real men shoot 20mm." - FJ540
"If I could be reincarnated as a fabric, I would come back as a 38 double-D bra." - Jesse Ventura
20mm

Postby MJY65 on Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:06 am

jgalt wrote:
Spartan wrote:...because you either get Al Franken ( giant douche ) or Mc-turd sandwich .... another vote is also a vote for the giant douche ....

Or, in a world where words have meaning: another vote is not a vote for Franken - it is, well, another vote... :roll:

Mathematically, you are correct. Your 3rd party vote doesn't add to Franken's number. It also does NOTHING to defeat him, regardless of how much better you may feel by voting your conscience. So, if Obama ends up with both houses of congress again and there is another school shooting, you can enjoy your moral superiority as the new AWB gets passed.
MJY65

Postby Erud on Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:15 am

jgalt wrote:
Erud wrote:The problem is that when you decide to vote for the "good" rather than the "lesser of 2 evils", you will almost always end up with the greater of 2 evils. Your point is valid, but not practical.

So, neither side thinks the other is practical. This is not new news... ;)

The counter argument is that every once in a while, you actually end up with the good. I'd rather vote on principle for a small chance at good, than accept that evil is the best we can hope for.

I’d like to build the world a home
And furnish it with love
Grow apple trees and honey bees
And snow white turtle doves
I’d like to teach the world to sing
In perfect harmony
I’d like to hold it in my arms
And keep it company

I’d like to see the world for once
All standing hand in hand
And hear them echo through the hills
For peace throughout the land